Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
farbmw
3rd Gear Member

A couple of Differential questions

Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to put the AT 335i LSD(wavetrac) with the 3.46 gear ratio in a MT 335i with 3.08 ratio.

The AT final drive does not have the LSD in it yet, I can get a deal on a used final drive and then install the LSD in it and put in the MT 335i.

Would it work or would it need to be modified more?

If this already been answered in a different thread please post the link because I can't find anything on this.

And I hope someone can help me on this problem as well.

I have a chance to buy a used rear differential for a good price from a 2007 335ix, but when they gave me the VIN number to verify that this is from a 335 and to find out the production date, the VIN was wrong, but they are sure it is from a 335.

Yes I know you can get the VIN from other parts of the car but it has been chopped up and sold so the diff is the only part that remained.

So he went and got the part number off of the diff and this is what is on it:

7566151-01
E2034V346

I looked at the realoem website and they have:

Which is one digit off, I want to make sure that the diff they have is for a 335i.

I called a BMW dealership for help, and they looked it up, they told me it is a part number but it does not say what it is for, no information on it.

So I am hoping that someone can help me out with this, I don't want to buy it and then find out it is not for a 335i when they install the diff.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like it should work, but don't quote me on it. Please post if you found any more info. Would also like to know this.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
farbmw
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1 View Post
Sounds like it should work, but don't quote me on it. Please post if you found any more info. Would also like to know this.
This is what Harold at HP Autowerks said about the diff on another forum:

"What you have here is an early production automatic 3.46 ratio final drive unit. That is a good find as it is very rare. It will fit your 2008 335i with a manual transmission if that is what you have."

And this is how he knows:

"We have been doing LSD's on the E9x chassis since 2007, then pick up the E8x chassis soon after that. Not to mention E36/46 chassis as well. No less than 160 units of Quaife and 30+ units of Wavetrac have gone out of our doors so we know what it is when we see one.

To answer your question, it is bolted."

So I bought it and got a really sweet deal, it only has 6300kms on it to boot, so it is almost new!

These wrecking yards make me laugh, because when they do not know how to take something of they cut it!!

As you can tell by the pic.

If they did not cut the drive-shift off like that they would have made money off of it down the road.

Unfortunately I have to wait until mid February because the wavetrac is on back order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007335idiff.jpg (201.6 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by farbmw; 01-30-2011 at 11:19 PM.
farbmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: