Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
dbworld4k
Addict

Cool Pimpin' Ain't Easy in the Tropics

Say hello to my new Ho'Rolla! This car will be my daily for my next 12 months here in the Caribbean. She's been branded as 'Careless Whisper' by the previous owner, guess it's an island thing. I recently brought back HIDs from my XMas break back home as driving at night with the dim, stock halogens was dangerously unsafe. It was a pain to wire them up as I forgot the car is JDM spec and has different headlights... but nothing some re-wiring couldn't fix. I also bought seat covers as the stock, torn seats are quite an eyesore.

This this is the ultimate beater: the suspension is COMPLETELY shot; one of the rear windows will not roll down; the tachometer doesn't work and neither does the e-brake; the AC isn't very strong (like a small mouse coughing at you through the vents); half the speakers don't work; the fuel gauge has a mind of it's own; there's a ghost in the power locking system; the door panels are falling apart; the glovebox is held semi-closed by a steel wire; YET it has power folding mirrors, LOL! Not even my 8 year newer E46 has that

Nonetheless, she keeps on truckin' time and again in typical Toyota reliability fashion. Driving it is like riding a friggin' roller coaster over every bump and the pothole laden roads don't help; it's a shame because the roads here are simply incredible. Every drive is nirvana for a driving enthusiast in terms of the scenery: rolling, steep mountains; blind corners at every turn; no traffic lights; no traffic, twisty after twisty... now if only they could bring it up to NA quality pavement and some fun rides, this place would be off the hook.

Aaaaaaand here she is!

Driving a RHD manual car seemed daunting at first, but honestly I got the hang of it within minutes. It's just like driving any other LHD stickshift car.

Here's a small sample of the stunningly beautiful scenery here (more to come soon):

Atlantic Ocean

Caribbean Sea

Imola Red / Imola Red ///M5
E60 SSK, Dice iPod, GT Exhaust
BCR Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Daytona Race, Michelin PSS

335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
H&R Sport, CF diffuser, BMW Performance SSK

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
She's been branded as 'Careless Whisper' by the previous owner, guess it's an island thing.
Lol, no, it's a "Wham" thing (George Michael).

Lucky you to be in the Caribbean right now. whereabouts?
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Congrats on getting out of the igloo in time Anuk!

What are you doing there? I bet you will stay there a little longer than 12 months lol. At least I would without thinking about it!

Although Montreal and Toronto both are great cities I think the long and dreary winters have an enough effect on me that I don't feel comfortable putting roots here. That is why I am applying to graduate school in Texas

So yes, in other words, I'm jealous!! And I'd take your Corolla and live a simple life in the tropics over the shivering in my BMW. At least it has no rust

2000 Audi A8 SWB Silver/Black
1992 BMW 525iT/5 White/Blue [MPars, HIDs, cargo net]
1989 525i [scrapped]
1995 BMW 318i DASC [sold]

Last edited by BMW_7; 01-19-2011 at 11:01 AM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Anuk are you at St Kitts/Nevis for med school?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
dbworld4k
Addict

^ding ding. We have a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
And I'd take your Corolla and live a simple life in the tropics over the shivering in my BMW. At least it has no rust
Sometimes I think about how sweet and simple the life here really is, and honestly it's a pretty damn good place to live if you're wealthy, lol. A lot of rich British and American retire here in some kickass homes/mansions on the mountainsides.

Past:

Last edited by dbworld4k; 01-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
^ding ding. We have a winner!
nice, my bro went to Nevis. Finished his Step1 - and is doing his Step2 in Louisiana right now.

My other friend went to the other school there and she just got accepted to Chicago for her Step2.

Good luck and have fun, although I heard it gets pretty boring there.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
dbworld4k
Addict

RE: boring.

Considering the insane workload, I find that I do not have time to consider other things to do while I'm here. During M-F, I only have two hours after I get home to eat/exercise/relax before hammering out 2-3 hours again right up til bedtime. The weekends barely offer a couple of hours of downtime to relax or loaf around as literally every week you have tests or assignments/labs due. Only during the beginning of the semester (ie. the first weekend) have I been able to explore the island/sights or party a little. After that, the workload literally snowballs out of control right up til the last day, after which I fly back home anyways.

A lot of the students fall into the retarded cycle of drinking their brains off every Friday, and the weekend parties in the tourist hotspots are pretty wild. Alcohol is actually cheaper than water at most places here. A 1L bottle of Goose costs only $28 vs. ~ $60 back home. But these kids end up failing most of their courses, lol...

Past:
Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Acidblast
3rd Gear Member

as soon as i saw the "Pxxxx" licence plate i knew it was st kitts and nevis. i went to MUA. now i'm in chicago doing my rotations. Good luck with everything.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidblast View Post
as soon as i saw the "Pxxxx" licence plate i knew it was st kitts and nevis. i went to MUA. now i'm in chicago doing my rotations. Good luck with everything.
Oh sweet! Small world. I have many friends rotating through Chicago from various off-shore schools.

Past:
Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
SickFinga

Quote:
LOL! Not even my 8 year newer E46 has that
That's because we don't need that. Our parking spots are big, our streets are wide.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
RE: boring.

Considering the insane workload, I find that I do not have time to consider other things to do while I'm here. During M-F, I only have two hours after I get home to eat/exercise/relax before hammering out 2-3 hours again right up til bedtime. The weekends barely offer a couple of hours of downtime to relax or loaf around as literally every week you have tests or assignments/labs due. Only during the beginning of the semester (ie. the first weekend) have I been able to explore the island/sights or party a little. After that, the workload literally snowballs out of control right up til the last day, after which I fly back home anyways.

A lot of the students fall into the retarded cycle of drinking their brains off every Friday, and the weekend parties in the tourist hotspots are pretty wild. Alcohol is actually cheaper than water at most places here. A 1L bottle of Goose costs only $28 vs. ~ $60 back home. But these kids end up failing most of their courses, lol...

I don't envy you one bit man! I would never have the discipline you need for that kind of studying! Good luck and be proud of yourself!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. '01 Exterior Upgrades; E60 SSK
Toys'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
Fe9L
4th Gear Member

Bring that shit to timmies lol...

Good luck with your studies buddy

The x-love:

Slamation Nation..Wesa
Fe9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Wow Anuk didn't know you were down there! Pretty cool whip, amazing pics too it looks like paradise...is that place in the backround where you stay/study?

Good luck with everything!

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 01-25-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe9L View Post
Bring that shit to timmies lol...

Good luck with your studies buddy
Shipping it back would cost more than what it's worth! Although it'd be pretty kickass to keep this thing as a little memento of my time here. A JDM Ho'Rolla would make for an interesting beater up north, LOL! Maybe the boys at Stance Factory can bring it up to par
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport View Post
Wow Anuk didn't know you were down there! Pretty cool whip, amazing pics too it looks like paradise...is that place in the backround where you stay/study?

Good luck with everything!
It's a little slice of paradise, lol. No, those are some of the mansions in the hills that are worth millions of USD. Range Rover/Cayenne in the driveway and quite possibly one of the greatest views on earth from their balconies!

Past:

Display Modes Rate This Thread