Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Actually, I suppose this is the most important question:

Why do you want to control fuel? If you're looking for more power, drop in a MarkD chip with high-test fuel and call it a day.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

ughson

If it's NA power your after and you don't plan on making major changes to the motor in the future then a tuned chip for NA is your best bet

I also offer a chip upgrade solution for the M20
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #18
ughson
2nd Gear Member

Honestly the only reason I would do the standalone is so that I would learn more about the setup. The reason I would want to try ViPec V44 is that my FSAE team for school has one and I'd like to understand its setup. So at first a standalone for me wouldnt be doing much for performance. It would just allow for more down the road

This all started as me not being able to find anything like the SAFC or power commander for the m20 as I do want to turbo it but still want to have the opening to make changes. My plans for the turbo would be to get a t3 flanged t25 from a rb20det for the initial setup and then furthor down the road switch that for a Holset HX35; so I dont think I want a chip because I want to be able to change the fuel to componsate for different boost, injectors, MAF or MAP etc
ughson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughson View Post
Honestly the only reason I would do the standalone is so that I would learn more about the setup. The reason I would want to try ViPec V44 is that my FSAE team for school has one and I'd like to understand its setup. So at first a standalone for me wouldnt be doing much for performance. It would just allow for more down the road

This all started as me not being able to find anything like the SAFC or power commander for the m20 as I do want to turbo it but still want to have the opening to make changes. My plans for the turbo would be to get a t3 flanged t25 from a rb20det for the initial setup and then furthor down the road switch that for a Holset HX35; so I dont think I want a chip because I want to be able to change the fuel to componsate for different boost, injectors, MAF or MAP etc
If you plan on going with the turbo setup and plan on changing the setup later down the road then you have a few different routes you can take

forget a piggyback unit because you will learn a lot more if you take on any three I have listed below

1. Mega squirt ( Most user friendly with tons of background support )
2. Miller War Chip ( very limited to what you can control )
3 Eprom emulator with tunerpro software( full control over stock ecu but with limited background support )
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #20
ughson
2nd Gear Member

^^ okay I think megasquirt is what I would want.
Above they talk about using the pnp from DIYautotune and rotate between ECU's what would be required to use MS1 tho and still do a similar technique? it has a completely different conection so do I just wire in and adapter?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #21
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
^^ okay I think megasquirt is what I would want.
Above they talk about using the pnp from DIYautotune and rotate between ECU's what would be required to use MS1 tho and still do a similar technique? it has a completely different conection so do I just wire in and adapter?
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/b...pcb-p-194.html

Or just gut an ecu and install the MS directly into the case. Why MS1 though when you can get newer versions with more features and better processing capabilities.

Another thing is rotating between ECU's will only work if you keep the AFM in the car once you go turbo you will hopefully get rid of your afm. After that you can't really switch back and forth between ECUs like I was mentioning. Yeah the car will still start on the stock ECU, but it runs just enough for the purposes of moving the vehicle, the car shouldn't be driven. However once you have the car tuned N/A in terms of starting and idling going over to turbo isn't that big of a deal, just upload some new fuel and timing maps and you're pretty much good to go.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
ughson
2nd Gear Member

there is a guy on son240sx.org selling his ms1 setup... If i can get it for cheap enough then it makes sense to me to setup using this and upgrade the chip to ms2 later. If not I will prob get the ms2e DIYpnp kit and assemble it myself

I still plan on using a friends SAFC 2 and see if I can get it wired in and running because by far that would be the cheapest option
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
there is a guy on son240sx.org selling his ms1 setup... If i can get it for cheap enough then it makes sense to me to setup using this and upgrade the chip to ms2 later. If not I will prob get the ms2e DIYpnp kit and assemble it myself

I still plan on using a friends SAFC 2 and see if I can get it wired in and running because by far that would be the cheapest option
MS1 blows, just do yourself a favor and get the PNP and be done with it, not needing to look back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: