Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
ViSoR
2nd Gear Member

Anything special to check on a car that was stored the last 6 years??

I'm going to check out a 1987 convertible euro 325i from Germany that was stored for the past 5-6 years. It was taken out and hardly driven onto a flatbed between storage areas once a year. I think the guy told me he changed the oil every year.

The car has around 165000km, it's manual 5 spd, electric windows, manual convertible top.

I went to see it but now I'm going back with my mechanic friend. The car will be on a lift so we will be able to check under the car for rust and behind the Rieger skirts and rear bumper (that are not in great shape, barely holding on).

The car drives, but obviously must need to be driven to ''uncrust'' the engine. It was puffing alot of white smoke when we first started it, maybe we should use an injector cleaner?

I didn't see any apparent rust but I know the car was repainted when it got to Canada.

Can the window in the soft top be changed? The top looks great but the window is crap.

Should the tires be changed??

I checked out the sticky thread and it has alot of good info, I just wanted to know if there was something special to check out since the car was stored for so long? Would you guys buy a car that was stored for that long??

I haven't really shopped around, the only reason I'm considering buying this is because it looks sick and you can't find cars like this on the market very often, if ever. I was in love the moment I saw it 6 years ago!

Last edited by ViSoR; 01-18-2011 at 07:34 PM.
ViSoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
davericher20
black and blue

The white smoke is probably just condensation. Happens to me too when I take my car out every spring. Just give it a good rip and it'll go away. The oil might be murky from condensation too, don't let that scare you, just change it.
I will reserve my previous statement about taking the car for a rip to burn off condensation/carbon if you haven't checked to see the condition of the timing belt.
Those should be replaced every 4 years. 6 is really stretching it. Especially if it's been sitting, it will have formed to the shape of the position it sits in and will probably break under stress from all this time.

How much are you paying for it. It sounds like it's in rough shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
ViSoR
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the response buddy, good point on the timing belt,makes sense.

It's actually in pretty good shape considering it's more than 20 years old. But there are some moldings and trims to change for sure. A few interior trim parts to change.

I'm sure these images will help me get more responses!

These are old pics but it pretty much looks the same. It almost looks perfect from the pics but up close it needs some love.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
davericher20
black and blue

are those Keskins?

Pretty much sex on wheels......except for the white trim in the dash and the eyebrows.

Quote:
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Changing fluids is definitely a good idea, Oils, brake fluid, etc. A basic tuneup wouldn't hurt either, at least you know then what you have and where you stand with the cars' mechanical condition.

Tires may be okay if it was moved once in awhile, but look for dry rot in the treads. If they are out of round, you might get away with driving them slightly hard to get them up to temp, and they may need rebalancing depending on how bad they are.

Looks like a nice base, looks like you just have a few issues to take care of. Be sure to take a good look in every single corner underneath for any rust issues too.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
ViSoR
2nd Gear Member

Great advice, thanks!

I guess if I get the car I would do a full tune-up, fluids, filters, timing belt, spark plugs, etc.

Rust was my other major concern so we'll be sure to check every corner tomorrow.
The other big point was the mechanical aspect but of course we can't open up the engine so we'll check what we can like compression, etc.

I agree with the sex on wheels comment, I just can't stop looking at it!
The wheels are 3-piece O.Z. Futuras, super rare and discontinued.
I personnally like the eyebrows.

Last edited by ViSoR; 01-19-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
davericher20
black and blue

OZ's are even better!

Quote:
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Looking at that reminds me of another alpine vert that's been sitting behind a gas station near my house forever. It needs love too but seeing those pics makes me wanna go find the owner and see if he'll take a lowball offer...
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: