Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Eff. Ing. Hell.

Here we go again.

I was driving to work today, and was just about to turn on to another street. I declutched, and as the pedal reached about 3/4 of the way to the floor, I felt a "pop" through the pedal. next thing I know, I can't shift gears and I am on the horn to CAA. Again.

Autobahn's going to look at it, but I have the feeling that I might be getting a new clutch, need it or not. I am hoping it's just a broken line, but that would be too easy.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Bimmer p.i.
2nd Gear Member

maybe should have had it towed to Autovation - they'd fix you up honestly and fast. Good guys over there.
silver 2006 Dodge Charger SXT - performance chip, blue filter Cold Air Intake, 18" chrome 10-spoke rims, custom graphics, leather, custom vinyl interior dress-up, chrome trim package, chrome grill, custom "Punisher" hood badge
Bimmer p.i. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Todd has always done well for me, even if he can be a bit slow at times. I have also hadd good dealings with Autovation.

I am saying I'd be getting a new clutch need it or not because if the slave is gone (I assume it's inside the bell housing), we could be dropping tranny. I have 211K on the car, so it would make sense to do it. And, if I sold it, it would have a new clutch.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

You and your car man. I wish you the best of luck and it isn't a big fix. I only melted a alternator wire and the alternator and bought a new car.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I'm right there with ya. I haven't been able to drive my car for almost a week. Needs a coil. Won't idle, can't be driven. Parts are in the mail.

I'm shopping for a new car come summer. I was prepared for maintenance but not the unreliability.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

There are other factors leaning me towards buying something else (trunk space, for example), but then I drive it. Damn BMWs.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
I'm right there with ya. I haven't been able to drive my car for almost a week. Needs a coil. Won't idle, can't be driven. Parts are in the mail.

I'm shopping for a new car come summer. I was prepared for maintenance but not the unreliability.
Seriously?
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Very.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

I am thinking spring for my car shopping. Or possibly this weekend. I am just sick of having a car that I don't trust.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Just got word from Autobahn -- Todd says that it isn't hydraulic (this is borne out by the resistance in the clutch pedal, which is the same as normal), so it has to be mechanical. Therefore, out comes the transmission, and a new clutch is going in at minimum.

So much for my hopes of a bad clutch line. Poop, damn, hell.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
tehskeo
CEL Magnet

211k on your car. I'm assuming it had original clutch? I'd say it's about time for a new one anyway. Look on the bright side: You won't have an inevitable clutch job hanging over your head. I still have my original clutch (mind you, only 140k on it), but I know that in time I will eventually have to replace it due to wear and tear.
tehskeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Very.
All will be forgiven when she is fixed! I have a Peake scanner if you need a BMW specific code reader.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

I assume it was the otiginal clutch. The car's fixed, and Todd said that basically the clutch had died of old age. I'll find out the painful portion of the excercise tonight. Oh well, it's only money, right?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

could be worse, after getting his truck stolen and dicking around for a rental car, my buddy finally got his payout and returned his rental, much to his dismay the car he had already bought and paid for suddenly had no keys. it took 3 days before he actually got the car and a few hours after that the clutch went... and no he wasnt doing burnouts or anything stupid, and yes hes driven stick for years.

hopefully the damage isnt too bad but like was said, nothing to worry about and now you can sell it with a new clutch which isnt all that bad
Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
All will be forgiven when she is fixed! I have a Peake scanner if you need a BMW specific code reader.
Thanks for the offer. I've got a generic OBD II reader on loan from a friend. We'll see when I get the parts....I do love it, i just can't keep waiting to drive it.

Phil, painful. I can't wait to hear how much my 6spd swap is going to be when my tranny goes out.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: