Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
cornflakecwl
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
BMW could be the first automaker going after this part of the market, I can't think of any other car maker who is trying to set up a global restoration system, which will have them selling more parts, and continuing to service vehicles from decades ago, I want the Canadian or Ontario franchise!!
While on a completely different level than BMW, Ferrari has had this for a few years now in Italy and has been looking to expand to the US.
cornflakecwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #17
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikole957 View Post
Don't hold your breath. The demand for this kind of thing probably won't be large enough for them to even have to expand outside of their current operations in Germany. The people that send their cars there send them with a wish list and a blank cheque. Not many people are interested in buying an E30 for a few thousand dollars and then spending $20k restoring the car to factory condition.
An e30 will cost you 20g I'm repairs over 5 years might as well do it all at once!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #18
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Let's be honest.......... there isn't an E30 owner here on this forum that's going to use this type of service. No E30 owners go to a stealership for service because of the costs.......... and you think they would actually spend money to go back to BMW for a restoration !??!?!? E30 owners are the cheapest bastards of the BMW world (I don't mean that in a bad way, just relatively speaking as it doesn't get any cheaper then an E30). Recent E30 owner quote......."Why do body work when duct tape does the same thing........." WTF??!?!??! The only E30 that I can see going back for a factory over-haul, which would be not only worthy but totally awesome, would be the M3. But I'd hazzard the ticket would be sky high.
And for two of those types there's an S50/M/S54 swapped, fully reconditioned & modified car. E36 and E46 owners really tend to get off on saying that E30's are cheap ass cars, owners are cheap to the point of being neglectful, their cars are more expensive and therefore better, etc.

Yes, E30s are cheaper to buy, but when E36's are going for the same prices, there's a reason that people still want E30s. Look up the price on an e36 M3, then check an E30 M3 in similar condition. There's a reason people will pay more for an older, less powerful car.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Roysneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #19
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysneon View Post
And for two of those types there's an S50/M/S54 swapped, fully reconditioned & modified car. E36 and E46 owners really tend to get off on saying that E30's are cheap ass cars, owners are cheap to the point of being neglectful, their cars are more expensive and therefore better, etc.

Yes, E30s are cheaper to buy, but when E36's are going for the same prices, there's a reason that people still want E30s. Look up the price on an e36 M3, then check an E30 M3 in similar condition. There's a reason people will pay more for an older, less powerful car.
You are a newb so I am going to be nice. Please don't ever mention e30 M3 and e36 M3 in the same sentence or compare them in anyway, shape or form, ever again. kthxbye

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #20
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
You are a newb so I am going to be nice. Please don't ever mention e30 M3 and e36 M3 in the same sentence or compare them in anyway, shape or form, ever again. kthxbye
wow wtf? Relax dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #21
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Wow, thanks for the well thought out, insightful reply. Just to be clear, since I just joined this particular forum, I'm a newb? Don't get your blood pressure up old man.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Roysneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #22
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Was gonna say wow, little much Terry

Also, someone else made a stupid statement, btw most e36 and e46 owners here have had e30's, and Tom has a lot of time in under the hoods of E30's and e30 M3's. Being brash outa the gate and making general statents that you've read on boards is gonna get people worked up
Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysneon View Post

I,m not gonna be quite as rude as bmw5lover, but this is a stupid generalization of people and cars, not to mention you've quoted one of the resedent E30 M3 guys, who is one of the more level headed posters on this board. E30 owners are cheap, so are E36 and E46 and E9x owners, they all want the best deal they can get, just a sliding scale. Do we have guys who think there car is better hell yes, (we usually call them "M" owners lol ) but a comaprision of an e30 M3 and an e36 M3 is so far out there, pure production numbers alone are gonna price the E30 M3s above the E36 Ms its a special car that got the M idea going, but it was not the first M car sold. The E36 is the car that made BMW the power house it is today, and has been the most sucessfull selling 3 series as far as I know, and the E36 M3, in true form, aka the euro`s ( 94 canadian euro ) was and still is one of the best cars out there.

I have had a couple years with both E30`s and E36`s neither is better cause they are sooooooo different. M
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
B6T
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
In a slightly different way, I think ford did it first. If you flip through their classic parts/fordracingparts catalogue, you can order any piece of any significant model in fords history from the model t all the way up to the bronco of the early 70s (and I literally mean anythint, from control arms to interior trim even an entire frame+body!). They are using the original tooling and dies too!

There was an article about it in autoblog a month or two ago
Exactly. If you dropped off your beat up car at a dealer with a body shop and an open ended work order, you'd arrive with the same final product as what BMW did. The only difference is that BMW attached some clever marketing to it.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
squarehed
1st Gear Newbie

Euro E30 = all ballZ!
squarehed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: