Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
So I guess dbl_trble should write an angry letter to BMW telling them that he will no longer be making the purchase as when he put down a deposit on the car, he was expecting for it be lighter.
O wait, you aren't buying the car (regardless of weight) and not the type of driver/demographic that they are gearing it towards.
BMW doesn't sit and think to themselves, "lets build a car that the masses do not currently want, because dbl_trble and the rest of the Max gang will be fighting over getting it when it is 25 years old and worth a 1000$".
You guys kill me, you really do.

They know the market well, you know, because they spend multi millions on research and that is why Europe gets the fun models, because people there are a different "type" of driver and can see the awesomeness in a LTW or CSL model.

Here(NA), we want status, lots of power and the comforts fit for a god, in a car. (a few of us want a car we can throw around the track once a year). That's what they give us.

Why oh why do you have such a problem with me and my opinions. This is the third thread that you act like a complete Douche towards me. You've accused me of not reading the whole thread but it is really you that don't read everything I've written. But since you choose to not read everything, and just pick on the points that you seem to disagree on then here it is again. I know they build for the masses, and I know they cater to people that think they're ride could give them status ie: you! But my problem is not with that, because I know that is what sells cars. MY PROBLEM IS THEY TRY TO RECAPTURE SOME GLORY OF THE PAST BY COMPARING IT TO CARS THAT ARE FROM A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TIME, AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT GENERATION OF CARS OTHER THAN THE BADGE. IE. E30 M3 VS 1M.

Oh yeah, and Happy New Year.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Why oh why do you have such a problem with me and my opinions. This is the third thread that you act like a complete Douche towards me. You've accused me of not reading the whole thread but it is really you that don't read everything I've written. But since you choose to not read everything, and just pick on the points that you seem to disagree on then here it is again. I know they build for the masses, and I know they cater to people that think they're ride could give them status ie: you! But my problem is not with that, because I know that is what sells cars. MY PROBLEM IS THEY TRY TO RECAPTURE SOME GLORY OF THE PAST BY COMPARING IT TO CARS THAT ARE FROM A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TIME, AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT GENERATION OF CARS OTHER THAN THE BADGE. IE. E30 M3 VS 1M.

Oh yeah, and Happy New Year.
I am not attacking you, don't have a problem with you, hell, I've met you once and you were a very friendly guy, but I will put you on the spot when you are just blabbing on...

Some quotes of yours:
Quote:
Like just about all BMW's in the last 10 years I'm losing interest as they are gaining weight.
Quote:
If I wanted luxury and comfort, I'd buy a Mercedes, I want performance, hence I buy a BMW. Or maybe bought BMW's and will be going elswhere with future vehicles......
In no way was I referring to the second point you made in the thread referring to the comparison b/w e30 M3/1M.

For the record, if ANYONE attacked ANYONE, it was you attacking me in the Mosport thread (I was) for writing about my limitation both in driver skill and comfort level.

Happy New Year to you aswell and please, refrain from resorting to name calling, no where in my post did I resort to it.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 01-03-2011 at 12:25 PM.
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
If I have the means in the future, this will be my next race car. I bet you can get it down to 2700# WET, including the cage, without trying too hard.
The seats alone have to be 300#
As a race car it will be an E30 with a ton of power and a suspension design that even most modern production based race cars can only dream about.
I found this to be the most informative post in this thread. Gleb's perspective raises some interesting follow-up questions:

What are the main reasons you would choose the 1M for a race platform, vs the Z4 M Coupe?
I assume (perhaps wrongly) the latter has even less mass and costs more, but you should assume that's all I know (I realise this is a big topic on its own - feel free to start a new thread )

And I hope this question makes sense: Which of the two would you choose for BMW Club School usage, as opposed to racing? (Both are very different from my current car and means - so this is all speculative)

Cheers!

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
Gleb
E30 ..?

Purely subjective - I like the look of 1 series more than Z4. And for me personally, 1M would make a better car since I am just a touch smaller than King-Kong and 1 has more head room

I don't know what your track experience is but, I always advocate a stockish E30 318is, 325i/is or a 944. $2-3000 worth of mods on any of these cars and you have a very good track car. Add a cage and you have a very good race car.
Just upgrade brake pads on any of those if you're just learning, or brakes, tires, suspension, cage if you're experienced and you're good to go.
So, to answer your question, I wouldn't choose a 1M, Z4 or any car worth well over $50.000 for driving schools.

And the best DD is a minivan! There, I said it... I must be getting old.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

^^^ Perfect! I have been to one school in 2010, and plan to attend ALL in 2011 - and I have a stock-ish E30 325i.

Agreed on the minivan for DD... I once saw a this on a minivan ad: "The 911 claims you are virile, the Renault Epace proves it!"

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
Purely subjective - I like the look of 1 series more than Z4. And for me personally, 1M would make a better car since I am just a touch smaller than King-Kong and 1 has more head room

I don't know what your track experience is but, I always advocate a stockish E30 318is, 325i/is or a 944. $2-3000 worth of mods on any of these cars and you have a very good track car. Add a cage and you have a very good race car.
Just upgrade brake pads on any of those if you're just learning, or brakes, tires, suspension, cage if you're experienced and you're good to go.
So, to answer your question, I wouldn't choose a 1M, Z4 or any car worth well over $50.000 for driving schools.

And the best DD is a minivan! There, I said it... I must be getting old.
x2 100% Especially the minivan part!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #22
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Personally I do like the way they are going with the 1M, and the one series for that matter, current 3 series has grown to the size of what a 5 series was 10 plus years ago. My sister and her hubby have a new 3 series 4dr, great family vehicle, comfortable as hell, but it's big, my e36 looks small beside it!! When I look for a sporty car it doesn't fit anymore in what in maybe my mind is sporty looking. Yes the current M3 is a monster, evil and fast, more then capable but it's huge (a 4dr M3 would be the perfect summer family car for me, formally that would have gone to the M5).

This is wear the 1M falls into place. Just a bit more room then my e30 had and tones of potential with minimal mods. I could care less for all the gizmos and gadgets of modern cars, was quite excited when BMW teased with the tii concept of the 1 series, which was minimalist and more about driving like I prefer, but likely not going to happen unless I make it that way.

I do agree it's a bit of a stretch in a full comparison to the E30 M3, but maybe it shows that even in a world of statistics and bean counters, marketing and status, there are a few enthusiasts left at BMW showing what they want to bring to th market, they have the 1 series platform to work with, and this is what they have done with it, not much different then back in the 80's when BMW decided to go racing, and had the E30 platform, they worked with what they had, and we were blessed with the outcome.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: