Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #16
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Thanks guys and here are final pictures of the parts ready to ship. They've been levelled (wet sanded to 2000grit) and buffed. They're on their way to sunny California. The parts were originally silver, and the black is the base paint I apply to ensure the original paint colour does not show through the fabric, but is removed where fitment is critical.

I have a black carbin fibre coupe set including centre console almost ready too......

Just picked up my first Ferrari parts to wrap from a local Ferrari shop. He wants a bunch of 360 parts done....Should be very cool to see my stuff on a Ferrari!!!
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package
BMW Personal Audio System

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI
++More to come this winter

nachos23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
Vander
2nd Gear Member

no offense but there is a lot of distortion in the weave of those parts. If it were me I would be unhappy with them.

Are you putting down a base layer of epoxy and letting that go to a tack first before applying the fabric? Also I noticed that you are taping the edges of the fabric for cutting to prevent the fabric from separating, but if you are laying up like this it will not allow the fabric to conform to the part as well. Not saying that this is what your doing but it was just an observation.

The fuse box cover on the other hand looks pretty good

Last edited by Vander; 12-05-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Vander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #18
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vander View Post
no offense but there is a lot of distortion in the weave of those parts. If it were me I would be unhappy with them.

Are you putting down a base layer of epoxy and letting that go to a tack first before applying the fabric? Also I noticed that you are taping the edges of the fabric for cutting to prevent the fabric from separating, but if you are laying up like this it will not allow the fabric to conform to the part as well. Not saying that this is what your doing but it was just an observation.

The fuse box cover on the other hand looks pretty good
Yes, I'm putting down a base layer and letting go to tack and the tape is only for cutting and initial placement, the tape is cut in approx 1/4" sections to allow for movement, yet maintain its consistency.

Try to minimize distortion, happens ocassionally. Guy receiving has seen pictures and actually likes the section with the "curvy look" to it. Cloth isn't vinyl (as it sounds like you already know), so it can be "conformed" to corners and edges; but it will distort when you go into a corner that "spreads" the fabric (like the inside of the door handle). Even the "commercial" products do the same (seen it on dozens of commercial parts); even been asked to re-wrap some commecial pieces to fix bad distortion.
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #19
nachos23
SweetXi

Cool Installed Pictures!

Hey;

Buddy that grabbed 2nd blue set went out today and took some installed pictures for me....

Think it matched up real nice to his Topaz blue. The wood grain shift knob is being addressed. There's one being started tomorrow (black CF) for him to replace the existing one, also one of the pins for the piece over glove box got lost durign shipping so I've sent another down, but as a result, that piece and the radio piece have not been fully installed.

The M3 set is also installed and is @ a photoshoot with apparently a really hot model.... Pictures promised... Will post when I get those...
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #20
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Wow, that's looking really good Bill, keep up the good work buddy!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
nachos23
SweetXi

Thanks Bro!! Wish, you were closer!!! Love to hook -up for some day trips with you.... show you what my baby can do!! Going to try AutoX next year I think!!! Shoudl do quite nicely with all the suspension and other mechanical mods I've done!!!

You coming to Sand's B-day party lunch in Jan???
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
phill_e46
3rd Gear Member

That looks pretty good does it come in brown might be a great solution fort cracked wood trim Where did you get it
Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #23
nachos23
SweetXi

To my knowledge, it's not available in brown, but I'll check. There are a number of sources for CF cloth locally. I bring this in from a supplier in Southern California.
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Tags
carbon fiber, e46, interior, kevlar, wrapping

Display Modes Rate This Thread