Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga View Post
No.1 cause of death for male between the age 16-21 at the moment.

No.2 is Justin Bieber hair style.
You forgot wearing a Canadiens Jersey to a Leafs game will surely get a young man killed
daveyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
forget dinan, thats the most overpriced sh!t on the market, get an SS or vortech and make it fit.

this link shows vortech

Dinan's a RIP and so are his software upgrades. All Dinan Does for new BMW's are software upgrades..it appears...for turbo powered BMW
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdon View Post
Tried the search and did not find any dedicated thread to this topic. Can anyone direct me to some detailed information on putting a m5 engine into my 2001 54oiA?

Thanks

Will it bolt right in?
I believe it will
Will the transmission I already have work?
If its a GETRAG 420g
Will the computer work, can it just be reflashed?
I cant see why it cant be made to work.
Will the wiring harness work, will I need the m5 harness, will I need to do some custom wiring? You may need the harness
will my cooling system work? Why not?
Am I forgetting anything?
I am assuming you mean a E39 m5, It should go in..but...you are going to want the M5 brakes, LSD, the axels and the rear fender panels to support the wheels you want. Dont forget the computer, and various other items....god you might as well but an M5 at that point unless you got a wrecked one and you do the work yourself. Open Diff, one wheel drive is not going to make you happy with just the engine swap..
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyto View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade but a stock e39 6speed should outrun an e36 m3...please correct me if i am wrong.

+1 for supercharger...Paxton's seem to go on like the ESS and VF...I cant belive no one has tried to fabricate a mount for a Paxton...these sell for less than 1k used..Then you need the Fuel injectors, map, etc..but thats the cheap way to start
"Sorry to rain on your parade" I got a big umbrella, Trying telling some e36 guys this!

P.S Looking into boosting the M5 next summer got any advice?

Last edited by parm; 12-21-2010 at 08:01 PM.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
"Sorry to rain on your parade" I got a big umbrella, Trying telling some e36 guys this!

No worries...The fact of the matter is that you cannot compare performance of the newer cars to the older M cars... Many of the M cars were hand made and awesome performance for the day...My old friend had a 1989 Alpina...the car was state of the art back in the day, like 200hp..The truth is that a new 1 series would destroy this car in every aspect of performance and ride.. As time goes on, BMW finds better ways to improve performance of their "regular" line up... For example that e36 M3 couldn't really compete with one of the new 335 ( new twin turbo), ..Thats just the way it is...technology I guess. Anyhow this is something I have come to terms with as well as sad a reality as it is. I am not trying to be a jerk..just an observation I have made. the new x3 has a 260hp all aluminum block...see what I mean..

regarding the SC, I was looking at a PAXTON for the longest time, they are plentiful and cheap and they mount on the left side of the engine bay of Fords. All you would need is to fabricate a bracket to get it to mount on your car.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #21
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
No worries...The fact of the matter is that you cannot compare performance of the newer cars to the older M cars... Many of the M cars were hand made and awesome performance for the day...My old friend had a 1989 Alpina...the car was state of the art back in the day, like 200hp..The truth is that a new 1 series would destroy this car in every aspect of performance and ride.. As time goes on, BMW finds better ways to improve performance of their "regular" line up... For example that e36 M3 couldn't really compete with one of the new 335 ( new twin turbo), ..Thats just the way it is...technology I guess. Anyhow this is something I have come to terms with as well as sad a reality as it is. I am not trying to be a jerk..just an observation I have made. the new x3 has a 260hp all aluminum block...see what I mean..
So true!
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #22
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
So true!

Hahaha..I was waiting for people to try and tear me a new one!

I am glad you agree...cheers
Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #23
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Hahaha..I was waiting for people to try and tear me a new one!

I am glad you agree...cheers
It's true though. 15 years ago, 200 hp was a big deal. 10 years ago 300 hp was a big deal. Now you have 500 hp sport sedans with every possible techno gadget available. 10 years ago, there was no iPod connectivity, etc etc. What we consider to be a fantastic car now will be the norm 10 years from now.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

I thought M cars were fast until I got smoked on my Honda vfr by an r35 GTR.

I couldn't believe it. SMOKED

In Terms of performance, The GTR must have all auto manufacturers scratching their heads!!

I still like BMW because I like the whole package and not just performance.

Last edited by daveyto; 12-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #25
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:

ESS, or......................... pm me, I've been wanting to boost for a while now, but not to fond of the supercharger route.
TheMadChigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:

regarding the SC, I was looking at a PAXTON for the longest time, they are plentiful and cheap and they mount on the left side of the engine bay of Fords. All you would need is to fabricate a bracket to get it to mount on your car.
Well Said ! any drawings of what the bracket could look like? It's not hard to find someone with a CNC machine,
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Well Said ! any drawings of what the bracket could look like? It's not hard to find someone with a CNC machine,
Hi the important thing to do would be to look at the supercharger and figure it out. It should be very similar to the ESS or the Vortech mount...with some modification.

I haven't done it nor do i know of anyone that did but it would not be an engineering task to do.

thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: