Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone ever replaced a master clutch cylinder?

Like the title says,,,..

I think mine is done... just would like know what kind of under taking this job might be... I haven't jacked up the car yet to take a good look, but I'm pretty sure its the unit that shot, When the catastrophic failure happened and left me stranded on the side the road, I did noticed some brake fluid dripping down onto the control arms. and did have a problem since the spring where the clutch pedal would not come back up intermittently, but I was always able to lift it up with my foot...

Anyhow, what needs to be removed to get access to it? I'm hoping nothing needs to be taken off from the top view of the engine compartment, suchs as the booster, brake master cylinder etc... on the inside part of the car, do the pedals need to be removed to gain access to it? I've already ripped apart 2 E30's so I know what it takes to take things off,... just not sure on how hard it would be to put things back on, or how far I have to go in order to get to this part...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

its not difficult. i at the time was king car illiterate and changed my CMC on my own....

you don't need to jack the car up. the only thing you need to remove is the kicker panel so you can unbolt it from the pedal.

undo the brake line, pull it out, reverse process with new one. the only thing you should worry about is space. tight but doable without a doubt.

and yes you do have to jack up the car, to bleed the clutch after wards.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

I did both trying to track down a hard shift in the transmission. The slave is very easy with a long extension for the top bolt and the bottom bolt very easy to see. Bleed it first to make sure. I had brown fluid come out of it.

The master is a little more time intensive but not a big job itself buy you'll be on your back looking up under the dash for a bit. I found that connecting the hydraulic line to the master and then feeding it through the firewall was a LOT easier than trying to attach the line to the master inside the car.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Buy them from UAP/NAPA they're made in Italy.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

Cool, yeah I already re-bleed the slave cylinder, cause I originally thought that was the problem... Alas, looks more like its the master,.. well the leaking brake fluid from it kind of gave it away ...

I already have a good used spare I got from another E30 guy locally, problem is I don't have a garage to work in at this moment... so the car is just sitting in my driveway... wondering if I can manage without having to jack the car up... all my jack stands are being used on another E30 (a 200$ E30 for that matter, guess whats going on with that one ) thats hogging up my garage...

Anyhow, thanks for tips...
Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Honestly, spend the money and put a new one in. I think its roughly 50 bucks or less from pelican parts.

Better then having to do it twice if the used one isn't good.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

well, the used one looks pretty good, and I know the guy, he sells used parts on all the time,... and comes to the windsor cruises, plus he's even helping me put it in I'm sure if the part is no good he'l find one for me that is, he's got a huge inventory of parts.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

fair enough, just seems like a waste of time if you plan on keeping the car, to me 50 bucks is worth the peace of mind but to each their own.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
magnus
6th Gear Member

you can actually change the seals on the one you have. but i would still buy new one. They are not expensive and as mentioned before better safe than sorry!!!! Even if the used one looks like new!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

humm... damn you guys and your reasoning... I'm not one to usually cheap out either ... but yeah, the replacement does look in very good shape... I think I got this cylinder and a power hose + resevoir for 50$ in total.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

thats how much i got a brand new one for!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

yeah, well I originally went to him for a resevoir and hoses, which was gonna cost me 35$ then I asked about the Clutch master cyl. then I got both for 50$ so really it only cost me 15$

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: