Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
E36is
'OldSchool..'

Cluster is lighting up like a x-mas tree

so driving home yesterday from work, i get the inspection light come on, then 20 mins after that my brake lining light comes on, well it flickers and sometimes goes off, but the majority of time its on. I know how to clear the inspection light, but what does that inspection light indicate? oil service? engine service? iminent failure coming soon?

Also for the brake lining light, does NAPA or Parts source sell these sensors?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
K///Mikes
2nd Gear Member

not 100% sure about the inspection light as im fairly new to the e30, and are u sure its ur brake lining light or ur brake light? brake light is (!) and mine was flickering and all i had to do was top up my brake fluid and voila! also i had my brake lining light come on when i baught the car, the rear sensor was sheered off, n i didnt feel like replacing it so i took out my gauge cluster and pulled the bulb. i read somewhere that u can do sumthing with the wires for the sensor to "trick" it as its working. and if ur looking for a sensor, nappa or parts source should b able to get u one, if not autopartsway.ca is ur friend.
K///Mikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ yup says 'Brake Lining', on my car the light is right next to the emergency brake light.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Inspection light can be ignored, its just timer that goes off to remind to to change your oil. The problem is, the timer is not accurate for anything, so google E30 paperclip inspection light to find out how to reset it.

The brake lining light means you have either worn through the brake pad sensor, meaning time to replace pads and sensors, or there is a fault in the wiring for the sensor circuit which is common, especially in winter.

If you *know* your pads are good, ignore, otherwise inspect them. You can't tell from the sensor whether its front or rear.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: