Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Beesuu
1st Gear Newbie

xdrive + winter tires neccessary?

Hey all, I got a new bmw this year along with xdrive... and I'm not sure how snow tires work ultimately... However I tested my car in a little bit of snow on the ground in small neighbour streets and I find it a bit slippery when I turn the corner... and if I pick it up a little bit it kinda drifts as well lol... Im not sure if that happens to winter tires as well...

I was skeptical of buying xdrive in the beginning but the sales person said its fine without snow tires if you have xdrive...

Anyways let me know thanks!

O btw. this is in Toronto, Ontario
Beesuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
ALPINE328
1st Gear Newbie

No matter what car you drive you need "WINTER Tires". Not "SNOW tires"
Winter implies all winter conditions your all seasons do not function well below 7 degrees you experianced that already!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

It's going to slip a bit, even with the fancy schmancy x drive Learn to love the slide, dominate it.

My problem is when I try to slide I get too much grip with my tires, screws up my beautiful slide.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Yeah ... xdrive doesn't help you slow down. The ****ing salesman is an asshole for telling you you don't need winter tires. Do it so you don't crash your new car.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

ROFL some people would say anything just to make a sale!!! I bet if you go back right now, asking for winter tires, he would be the first to tell you how much you need them!!!

And you DO need them. Not that much because of the snow, but because of the cold, as all season tires get pretty bad as the temp drops (even on dry pavement).
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Beesuu
1st Gear Newbie

EFF MY LIFE!! I saw some nice Costco deals for winter tires... I dont wanna take it back to BMW it sounds such a rip off cuz i got a package and the deals were 16inch with steelies for 1900... and if you want 16inch rims with it its like 2500... and if you want to go 17inch its like almost 3000... WOW !
Old 12-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesuu View Post
EFF MY LIFE!! I saw some nice Costco deals for winter tires... I dont wanna take it back to BMW it sounds such a rip off cuz i got a package and the deals were 16inch with steelies for 1900... and if you want 16inch rims with it its like 2500... and if you want to go 17inch its like almost 3000... WOW !
Definitely don't buy from BMW ... plenty of good deals for rims/tires. Look in the FS section here! Some super cheap 16 and 17" rims, and a good set of winter tires should not cost more than $1000 or so.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Beesuu
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Definitely don't buy from BMW ... plenty of good deals for rims/tires. Look in the FS section here! Some super cheap 16 and 17" rims, and a good set of winter tires should not cost more than $1000 or so.
Oh man lmfao, I'm a total noobie which size or specific winter tires would fit my car? LOL also I'm not sure where I could bring to a place to get em installed ? :S thankssssss such a novice lol
Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
CoEEzi
2nd Gear Member

Yes winter wheels are always a good idea. Do you NEED them depends on you. I know some people that have 4matics and xDrive cars and use only all seasons. I personally would buy winters and do have them on my car.

My buddies don't and they haven't a had a problem. Deep snow is where its gets a little tough, everything is dependent on driving conditions and how experienced you are.

Getting winters doesn't mean you can drive like a maniac like its a dry summer either, its added insurance for the winter.

Be safe and happy driving.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesuu View Post
Oh man lmfao, I'm a total noobie which size or specific winter tires would fit my car? LOL also I'm not sure where I could bring to a place to get em installed ? :S thankssssss such a novice lol
Just about all BMW 3 series (not M3!) wheels will fit your car, just look around and ask around. A 16" or 17" rim is good for winter, with say a 205/55/16 or 205/50/17 tire would be fine. Don't go wider than a 225 as wider tires are not great in snow.

One thing to be aware of is that for Xdrive, all 4 tires need to be the same diameter (or very close) so it's best to have all 4 the same tires.

Wallmart and Costco have really cheap tires, and plenty of tire places will sell you used stuff for a bit cheaper, but don't skimp on these ... old worn out winters is no better than no-seasons! Any tire place or shop can do the install.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
rider-.
3rd Gear Member

this will be my first year driving winter tires, for the past 3 years I have been on all seasons, I didnt really mind it, but then again, I did spend a lot of my time in parking lots and tracks drifting in the winter, so I gained quite a good knowledge of car control, this year though I'm excited to see the difference with winter tires. Like others said though, the xdrive will help you get going, but it in no way helps you stop, so if you are driving all seasons, you will have to be VERY cautious just like everyone else using them.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
damameke
6th Gear Member

Dalton McGuinty said, winter tire is not going to be mandatory in Ontario and rejected a request for winter tire rebate of $25 per tire today.. but agreed that winter tire is safer to drive in. and family should make their own decision...

there you go.. make a decision....
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: