Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
JvzwetE36325
2nd Gear Member

You would also have to convert the M52 into obdI, but since u already have most of it on ur m50 you would be set.
JvzwetE36325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #17
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

+1 on the M52 for boosting, but if you don't go boost consider the S52. You HAVE to KNOW exactly what you want the finished product to be before you start, and DON'T deviate from the plan, that's when projects end up costing double or more than the initial budget!

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
+1 on the M52 for boosting, but if you don't go boost consider the S52. You HAVE to KNOW exactly what you want the finished product to be before you start, and DON'T deviate from the plan, that's when projects end up costing double or more than the initial budget!
OHHH believe me i would love to put the s52 3.2L in my car but we all can't have what we want so thats why i settled for the rebuild m50, but now i see that isn't the best way to go i think the m52 with the m50 intake manifold with boost would be the best way to go with some internal upgrades down the road. I'm going to try to stick to this set up and hope every thing goes smoothly but thats never the case lol
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvzwetE36325 View Post
You would also have to convert the M52 into obdI, but since u already have most of it on ur m50 you would be set.
gah! I hate when people say this about M52s. Why do you have to convert to OBD I? OBD II is better in every way possible. Period. You can put the m50 manifold on (which is only an upgrade depending on how you plan on using the car) and still retain OBD II
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #20
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

^^x2, in most cases OBD I conversion makes no sense. Only if you're creating your own tune is OBD I (not better) but easier to tune!^^

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #21
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

ok so DON'T convert the M52 into OBD I got it!! lol
Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #22
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

well convert to obd I if you have an obd 1 car. 1994 would be obd I (correct me if im wrong)
220k is high? haha i just rolled 450 the other day, shes still a fun car looks good and purs like a kitten (albeit maybe a kitten with a scratchy throat)

ive been tossing hte m52 swap around for a while, ive yet to price it out. im m50 non van so i imagine my gains going to an m52 with vanos and m50 intake would be quite the kick in the pants!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg07lq View Post
well convert to obd I if you have an obd 1 car. 1994 would be obd I (correct me if im wrong)
220k is high? haha i just rolled 450 the other day, shes still a fun car looks good and purs like a kitten (albeit maybe a kitten with a scratchy throat)

ive been tossing hte m52 swap around for a while, ive yet to price it out. im m50 non van so i imagine my gains going to an m52 with vanos and m50 intake would be quite the kick in the pants!
WOAHH you just hit 450? damm i thought i had a high km car lol guess not. And yah i'm pretty sure a 2.8 with vanos and an m50 intake manifold would be sweet but imagine forced induction on top of that
Old 12-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #24
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

OK my car is OBD I (1994) should i convert to OBD II or not? To be honest i don't know too much about the OBD I or OBD II systems. I'm getting a lot of different answers here, don't get me wrong guys i REALLY appreciate all the input but, to convert or not to convert lol
Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #25
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Don't do it. When you buy an m52, you're going to need the ECU that came with and its the ECU that is OBD II. If you cannot/don't feel like integrating EWS (the immobiliser system, which is what scares most people away from keeping OBD II), just contact MarkD or TRM, and they can delete the EWS for you. Put in engine, put in your ECU, done.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #26
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M325i View Post
WOAHH you just hit 450? damm i thought i had a high km car lol guess not. And yah i'm pretty sure a 2.8 with vanos and an m50 intake manifold would be sweet but imagine forced induction on top of that
You do realise that the only year the m50 did not have vanos was 1992 in the e36. The overall power out put was the same hp wise, there was a 3 or 4ftlb torque gain, the system brought the torque on at a lower rpm making it more usable.

Also the m50 and m52 make the same hp, the m52 makes 20 plus more ftlb/torque, which is where it's grunt comes from, I'd say a sweet set of cams and head work with CIA/headers, and the right tune will net u more torque in a better range then boosting and come in around the same price. Plus the possibly upgraded head internals (sooo many options) will last longer then stock ones under boost. Build the motor b4 slapping boost, it will be more reliable and you may well find you have a faster car

Last edited by richie_s999; 12-13-2010 at 07:19 AM.
richie_s999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #27
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
You do realise that the only year the m50 did not have vanos was 1992 in the e36. The overall power out put was the same hp wise, there was a 3 or 4ftlb torque gain, the system brought the torque on at a lower rpm making it more usable.

Also the m50 and m52 make the same hp, the m52 makes 20 plus more ftlb/torque, which is where it's grunt comes from, I'd say a sweet set of cams and head work with CIA/headers, and the right tune will net u more torque in a better range then boosting and come in around the same price. Plus the possibly upgraded head internals (sooo many options) will last longer then stock ones under boost. Build the motor b4 slapping boost, it will be more reliable and you may well find you have a faster car

Well aware of every thing you just stated my friend. Except for "there was a 3 or 4ftlb torque gain, the system brought the torque on at a lower rpm making it more usable" ONLY 3 or 4ftlb of torque gain well that just doesn't seem worth it to me at ALL lol. And yes i agree with you about building the motor first then going FI that way the engine would last longer and could take a nice beating once in a while. One more question though, would putting an M50 intake manifold on the M52 engine give you a 20HP gain? I read that some where.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Well aware of every thing you just stated my friend. Except for "there was a 3 or 4ftlb torque gain, the system brought the torque on at a lower rpm making it more usable" ONLY 3 or 4ftlb of torque gain well that just doesn't seem worth it to me at ALL lol. And yes i agree with you about building the motor first then going FI that way the engine would last longer and could take a nice beating once in a while. One more question though, would putting an M50 intake manifold on the M52 engine give you a 20HP gain? I read that some where.
Are you chasing peak numbers for bragging rights or usuable power? Vanos system brought the power on earlier so iw was avalible for a longer time.

Hp gains at high Rpm are kinda useless, as are peaky motors.

What exactly are you building for
richie_s999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #29
///M325i
(OO==[lll][lll]==OO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Are you chasing peak numbers for bragging rights or usuable power? Vanos system brought the power on earlier so iw was avalible for a longer time.

Hp gains at high Rpm are kinda useless, as are peaky motors.

What exactly are you building for
my friend you've got it all wrong All im looking for is MORE POWER!! I'm just building for fun i wasn't planing on buying a 325i (e36) but as soon as i drove it and herd the sound i loved it. I don't want any "bragging rights." With an 2.8L and an M50 manifold with turbo i can take most cars on the road and thats a win for me lol And i don't really know about the VANOS system as i mentioned earlier But i would like to learn and you seem to know a lot about it. And i do agree HP gain at high RMP is sooooo useless because you cant use it. It's never there.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #30
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
One more question though, would putting an M50 intake manifold on the M52 engine give you a 20HP gain? I read that some where.
Its good for 25-30hp above 4000rpm. You will lose 10-15hp below that, or about 10hp if you have a good tune designed for that manifold.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: