Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #16
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Yep, buttons.

I suppose nothing can be done about them?

Elaborate on the "skinnable" part pleases.

PS: If the production date on your CD player is from 9-2002, I'll buy it!

Last edited by zarbat007; 11-30-2010 at 11:32 PM.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
carjoe
6th Gear Member

It's running on Win CE. If you have the right tools and know how, you can do pretty much anything as far as skins go.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #18
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure the Windows can be tweaked/modified...
But how does one change the font on those buttons?
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #19
Qube
5th Gear Member

Well, I finished officially today (still not skinned yet). I've lost my voice and have the flu so I'll be super brief and post some (poor quality) teaser pics now.

Comments:

- Worked great last night when I finished install at 3am. No sound today (pissed me off going to work and back). Worked fine yesterday. Tapped acc power to power ant pin on factory harness. Yeah, power ant. Nothing else would turn the amp on.

- F*********** OEM radio bracket. The forums make it look easy. You MUST remove both wood trim pieces to be able to unscrew it. Cool. Then you pull back the dash to get it out. Yeah right. After 30 minutes of trying and losing the CD door springs a few times, I just end up breaking the left side of the radio bracket and forcing it out. Why? There is just no F******** way you'll be able to get that bracket back in easily. With the effort required, you might as well leave the radio with the new owner if you sell. If totaled, you don't need to put the bracket back any way...

- Longer screws for nav mount. The ones they gave are way short. The forums do tell you this and given I do R/C, I've got plenty of long machine screws that work.

- IGO8 (nav) folder is called IGO8. and couldn't for the life of me be accessed in Windows XP, 7, Mac OS or anything else OTHER than the WinCE Nav. I ended up putting Total Commander CE on the SD card and renaming it ON the nav itself to IGO8. THEN I could add maps, nav program skins, etc.

- No NA maps. Downloaded Canada and US to the included 2GB card no problem. 2GB is plenty enough as remember you probably won't be DRIVING to the far corners of the States anyway. This isn't a portable GPS.

- GPS antenna works great mounted behind the nav itself, funny enough

- Extended MID wires to glovebox but that's it. If I need the MID to reprog the high cluster I'll plug it in.

- Steering wheel controls work. I didn't have phone and R/T button functioning (no car kit or OEM nav) but they work now! Wahoo!

- CD Changer WORKS! All the posts say it doesn't but it controls my OEM trunk changer JUST FINE.

That's probably it. I must have spent about 4 hours non-consecutive getting it right.

By the way the BMW roundel is right. I didn't bother adjusting the exposure to compensate so it looks like a white circle. Ha. Maybe some day pics tomorrow.

Last edited by Qube; 12-02-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
rzrdxl
2nd Gear Member

That looks great Jay!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
carjoe
6th Gear Member

That looks great but I'm disappointed in the install and the amount of fiddling required to get it right. I was really hoping to find something more plug and play-ish.

How's the sound? Better than OEM? Did you have DSP?

I dont' remember, did you keep the MID?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
Qube
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
That looks great but I'm disappointed in the install and the amount of fiddling required to get it right. I was really hoping to find something more plug and play-ish.

How's the sound? Better than OEM? Did you have DSP?

I dont' remember, did you keep the MID?
Install is ok if you make the decision NOT to keep the stock frame. The GUI is pretty crappy in the SD/DVD/IPOD functions. Sound is better than stock, I don't have DSP. I have the MID wires run to the glovebox but not connected. I'll just plug it in if I need to change the time.

It's not too bad... yet.

The AUX in has gotten a lot of use from my iPhone connection (3G back to Slingbox, yay!). Have to use that 6GB of data some how.

Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #23
richmak
4th Gear Member

I had my Dynavin installed over x'mas holidays ... and it has been perfect since then. I moved the MID to the glovebox (had to extend the cables a little) and relocated the tape deck to the back where the ULF feed is used. A wire needs to be jumped from the DSP to the tape deck to make it work.

Overall it is not too complicated and most people can do it easily.
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: