Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
/thread. That car is hopeless. Doesn't it have like 450k?

I interrogated the other owner about it.

Here's a heads up:

You're power steering fluid reservoir isn't mounted. Neither is the coolant expansion tank.

Also, the crank case vent is disconnected. So you might want to check you oil level.

And although he told you it has 280-300hp, sorry to break it to you but it probably doesn't have much more than 210 at the crank.

BMW would never touch it.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
/thread. That car is hopeless. Doesn't it have like 450k?

I interrogated the other owner about it.

Here's a heads up:

You're power steering fluid reservoir isn't mounted. Neither is the coolant expansion tank.

Also, the crank case vent is disconnected. So you might want to check you oil level.

And although he told you it has 280-300hp, sorry to break it to you but it probably doesn't have much more than 210 at the crank.

BMW would never touch it.
Aww, rain on my parade. It's my first car. Let me learn from my mistakes. Thanks for the heads up though. Coolant expansion tank is kind of sitting around in under the hood, am I right? I'll bolt it down somewhere. What is this crank case vent thing? 210hp is more than enough for a first car.
fishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
I'm all for learning man, but I think you would have better luck if you started back at square one and take Simplycars' advice and just buy another E36. That way you can see how things are supposed to operate while still together, and it is quite a learning experience to take it all apart. Not to mention it would be sooooo much cheaper in the long run.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #19
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

But if I wanted a car that worked properly, i already have the 7... I dunno, i kinda wanted just a small project car that I can drive it to it's death.

But for sure, I'll get one that works next time...
Old 11-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

You'd be amazed what you can do to pass safety. Everything needs to work or appear to work. You could wire in an electic heater the law doesn't say it needs to be a coolant based heater.

Airbags... not sure, that's why I'd never buy a car to mod that has airbags.

You'll also need to pass emissions with that... wait till they hook it up and it doesn't even have the same engine in it. I don't even know all those regulations... that's why I stick to my 87.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #21
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
I'm all for learning man, but I think you would have better luck if you started back at square one and take Simplycars' advice and just buy another E36. That way you can see how things are supposed to operate while still together, and it is quite a learning experience to take it all apart. Not to mention it would be sooooo much cheaper in the long run.
Hey, so remember earlier you said the seats didn't include the seatbelt buckets? If I bolted the seatbelt buckets into the seat or the actual shell of the car, could that pass for the safety test? It might not exactly be safe but to pass, would it be enough?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #22
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Probably would be, but I'm not sure why you are trying to skimp on safety items for your own well being. It wasn't designed like that, so who says it will perform properly in the event of an actual problem?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #23
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Probably would be, but I'm not sure why you are trying to skimp on safety items for your own well being. It wasn't designed like that, so who says it will perform properly in the event of an actual problem?
It's just to get it going. Once I start to get some cash coming my way I'm gonna fix it up real nice. trust me. In about 2 years I'll post before and after pics. Just for you craz azn
Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Take a look at the stock belts on real OEM. See what they look like and where they attach.

On the e30 they can be unbolted from the seats. Essentially you need to bolt them to something, and as Crazy Azn mentions it has to be safe. You could have metal adapters made that will allow you to connect the belts to the floor of the car under the seat bolts, you'd then balance the other seat bolts with some equally thick washers so it sits level. the metal should be thick, at least 1/4" mild steel or 1/8" hard steel.

Just an opinion of course, I would suggest getting something made by an experienced machinist or welder.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

haha I emailed this guy too telling him it was nowhere near 280hp.
would a bmw dealer even touch a car like this?
I suppose they would if you wanted to take a second mortgage on your house.
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #26
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

you have a 7 series, buy a used flatbed and tow it to the track.

all for projects, but you've got a few been there done that guys who are strait out telling you, its way to much money to street legalize this car, finish up the track work needed and have some fun
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

you would be so much further ahead buying another one man, like its been said that car isnt going to see the road cheap or easily.
i like richie's idea. buy a daily, or daily the 7, and just beat this one, or tear it down further to learn about it and put it back together iwth no owrry of screwing anything up.
a shop will bend you over the hood of that car at the mention of legalizing it, most certainly the stealership.
all in all, the knowledge is here, the parts are here, your willing to put in the time and money so it comes down to whats it worth to you
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #28
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

Hey guys.

So I decided to bring it to my friend's friend who is a mechanic. He got the exhaust fitted for 500$ total. Now he's fitting everything else in: seatbelts, horn, new steering wheel, handbrake tightening, and heater box assembly going in. Anything else needed? I AM fixing it...
Old 12-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #29
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

just watch what your paying for stuff, a buddy down here paid a "friends friend" 400 to install a wing. i was floored when i found out.
....but then asked if he needed anything else installed, hahaha jk
Old 12-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #30
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtar View Post
Hey guys.

So I decided to bring it to my friend's friend who is a mechanic. He got the exhaust fitted for 500$ total. Now he's fitting everything else in: seatbelts, horn, new steering wheel, handbrake tightening, and heater box assembly going in. Anything else needed? I AM fixing it...
What? Didn't that car already have a half decent exhaust on it?

Tags
328i, bmw, e36, legal, road

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: