Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Michel
6th Gear Member

Quaife LSD Group Buy!

Hey guys, not sure if I'm allowed to post this, but mods let me know if I can't. Anyways, I saw a thread a while back regarding an LSD group buy on Bimmerforums for E46's. The units are the following:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=114

and HPAutowerks was having the group buy. They stated 10% off for 2 buyers or 15% off for 3 buyers. If anyone is interested, I would be willing to communicate with them to see if we can get this offer.

Their sale price currently is 1305$ for just the LSD unit, meaning you get only the internals. From my understanding, these will swap into any gear set (2.93, 3.15, 3.38, 3.46 etc..)

For example on my 330, I have the stock 2.93 (I think?) gear set, so I would be getting this LSD unit and a second diff with casing (3.38 or 3.46) and swap the LSD unit into that, then replace the 2.93 with it.

Another cool thing about these diffs is that they are not clutch type, so they're not loud and don't get hot, so finned cover is not needed. There's also a lifetime warranty on the units!

Here's more info: http://www.quaife.co.uk/What-is-a-Qu...B-differential

Anyways, please post if there's interest! Again, mods let me know if this needs to be permitted first

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
ramdmc
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
There's also a lifetime warranty on the units!

Anyways, please post if there's interest! Again, mods let me know if this needs to be permitted first

Thanks,
Mike
Only to the original purchaser, I know from experience. Don't worry though, these are bulletproof and very rarely fail. Well worth the price of admission.

RC
ramdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Hey guys, not sure if I'm allowed to post this, but mods let me know if I can't. Anyways, I saw a thread a while back regarding an LSD group buy on Bimmerforums for E46's. The units are the following:

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=114

and HPAutowerks was having the group buy. They stated 10% off for 2 buyers or 15% off for 3 buyers. If anyone is interested, I would be willing to communicate with them to see if we can get this offer.

Their sale price currently is 1305$ for just the LSD unit, meaning you get only the internals. From my understanding, these will swap into any gear set (2.93, 3.15, 3.38, 3.46 etc..)

For example on my 330, I have the stock 2.93 (I think?) gear set, so I would be getting this LSD unit and a second diff with casing (3.38 or 3.46) and swap the LSD unit into that, then replace the 2.93 with it.

Another cool thing about these diffs is that they are not clutch type, so they're not loud and don't get hot, so finned cover is not needed. There's also a lifetime warranty on the units!

Thanks,
Mike
Are you saying the "LSD internals" will bolt right into the stock diff casing? Is there any way of confirming this?

BTW, PM me if you're interested in getting LSD unit built by Jim Blanton (his name is all over E46Fanatics). He ships the LSD unit as ready for bolt on, so everything you need is already there. It costs a bit more but maybe if we can get a few more ppl. to buy from him we might get a discount

Last edited by 330DTM; 10-29-2009 at 12:45 AM.
330DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
E46er
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330DTM View Post
Are you saying the "LSD internals" will bolt right into the stock diff casing? Is there any way of confirming this?

BTW, PM me if you're interested in getting LSD unit built by Jim Blanton (his name is all over E46Fanatics). He ships the LSD unit as ready for bolt on, so everything you need is already there. It costs a bit more but maybe if we can get a few more ppl. to buy from him we might get a discount

I can't remember if Jim Blanton is the same guy that builds LSD units for Bimmerworld or they have someone else that builds it for them, as I was looking into this over 2 years ago now. But I got my LSD unit from them and I've had it just over 2 years now with no problems.

2005 Sparkling Graphite E46CI
E46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Michel
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330DTM View Post

from my understanding it bolts right in with a few small modifications on the casing (this is what I've read from peoples experience). But yea, I may scrap my plans for LSD this year since I've decided on cams/headers instead... maybe next year
Old 11-09-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Blocked_Out
Banned

Quote:
from my understanding it bolts right in with a few small modifications on the casing (this is what I've read from peoples experience). But yea, I may scrap my plans for LSD this year since I've decided on cams/headers instead... maybe next year
Well, next year is here.

I'm down for this if we can get 3 people.
Blocked_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Michel
6th Gear Member

^I'll have to contact them to see if they can give us a group deal, but ill be down for getting one this summer.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Vander
2nd Gear Member

might be interested as well
Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
GLH BMW
1st Gear Newbie

the cars dont make enough power to really warent a lsd,unless you auto- cross your throwing money away
GLH BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Blocked_Out
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH BMW View Post
the cars dont make enough power to really warent a lsd,unless you auto- cross your throwing money away
May be your car doesnt make enough power.

Mine does and it needs an LSD.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
GLH BMW
1st Gear Newbie

unless you have fi no need, unless you want to spend the bucks,wait unless you drive your car in the winter than yes not a bad idea
GLH BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
gnome
on the roam

US$ is almost at parity again now. Let's get a deal going for LSD's for our E46's, I have been waiting for a year now, slowly the price is dropping.
Need to figure out what the net total cost is going to be, shipping, duties, installation, etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
98323IS
6th Gear Member

Please keep me updated on how this goes as I'm very interested as well. I don't want to swap internals though, I want a "bolt on" ready to go 3.38LSD. Keep me posted guys!
98323IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
Blocked_Out
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH BMW View Post
unless you have fi no need, unless you want to spend the bucks,wait unless you drive your car in the winter than yes not a bad idea
All you say is unless, lol

For the fact:
-I do auto X my current car
-I do track my current car
-I drive it in the snow
-I drove my previous BMW in the snow as well.
-My car has more power then yours
-MY CAR NEEDS AN LSD.

Quaife ATB to me seems like the CHEAPEST AND EASIEST way to get LSD in my E46.
Other option is to swap an M3 rear subframe, my cost would be just under $1000. It is cheaper then Quaife BUT, I would have to swap my Powerflex subframe bushings over (which I DONT want to do) also, I dont want to be driving with a 3.62 gear ratio.

Solution > Quaife ATB for $1300, which will go into my 3.38 diff=perfection.

You got a better solution?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
Michel
6th Gear Member

^The worse part would be to make the custom driveshaft i would think (if you're not getting a tranny).

When I finish exams next week, I'll send them an e-mail and see if they can do something since the offer above is quite old...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: