Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
Ive been buying selling cars for quite a while. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way.
I'm just commenting on some trends I've found in the market.

I have found BMW's to be one brand where it is very difficult to come out ahead.
I've looked at lots and lots lots of BMW's for sale and bought and sold a couple of my own.
I ALWAYS put way more $$ and work into them, than I estimate. Also, I never make as much as I would on a different brand.
I really think these cars are a labour of love.

First off, basing the value of a car, on the price others are asking, will always end in disappointment.
Asking prices and selling prices are usually WAY different, and it seems many people will lie, to make it look like they got more $$ or a better deal.

Secondly, Adding up the cost of modifications or repairs and thinking a car is actually worth more than that sum is asinine.
Its almost as stupid as the Honda kid who thinks his car has 300+HP by adding up the HP gains K+N, Magnaflow and BBK claim.
On a clean car, money spent on suspension and other performance upgrades is usually lost money.
In RARE cases, when these parts can be removed and still hold value, or when there are LEGITIMATE bills to prove stuff was installed and set up correctly, some of that money can be recouped.... but never all of it.
That same car, in clean shape with no, (or just basic wheels, stereo, lights etc) mods, will usually be worth more money at the end of the day.

I used to literally have PILES of honda 'upgrade' parts.. lights, amps, rims, intakes, fart cans, coil overs, you-name-it-aftermarket-crap, that I took out of civics before I sold them.
Even if I threw the stuff away, I would make way more money making the cars look and sound stock again.
Unless the buyer is an educated enthusiast, people that actually have money will run from a car that might have been abused.

I have also found that an owner who is selling his modded car will only take lowballing so long, before letting a car go for way less than he originally expected to get...
Although to save face, he wont call any of those low ballers back and offer it for less.
This applies to the guys who don't have the time or resources to part em out.

I see that gorgeous white E36 a couple posts up, and don't doubt its as nice as an M3 and cost as much to make that way.
But I do doubt the seller will ever get the kind of money he expects.
Unless he is prepared to be super patient with tire kickers or spend a bunch of time parting it out.

Lets face it.
Rust free, Problem free, low-mileage, E36's have almost become collector cars, and price will reflect that... to a point, as many disappointed sellers have realized.
The corroded, 'modded', used up E36's out there are generally worthless and every seller will eventually realize that too.

Just MHO. Cheers

Wow

Dude props to you for a such a nice and honest write up.
lvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
BSL
2nd Gear Member

Thanks.
Heres what 8G's will buy, (probably a lot less than 8, seeing as its been on kijiji since the beginning of Oct):

Last edited by BSL; 11-29-2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Has phone number but cant confirm
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #18
lvan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Thanks.
Heres what 8G's will buy, (probably a lot less than 8, seeing as its been on kijiji since the beginning of Oct):
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ210099239
IMHO there is something about that sale.... I do recall it was for sale by some gentleman from Brampton. It took him for quite some time to sell. Than you see that car again for sale owned by someone from Markham. Why would he sell it right away.... I also think the driver's side fender looks to be repained as the paint on the lower arch is just too shiny, not OEM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #19
BMW_M_POWER
E.A.P

^ I second that.

BMW E46 330i ZHP, E36 Vert, E36 M3
BMW_M_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #20
lvan
6th Gear Member

This is the only one that looks to be decent and not relisted if I stand correct. It sounds about right, and description seems to be written by an adult, not some 16 year old kid.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ244963789

Take a look.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #21
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

"rust free" or "mint" cars do not exist. your chasing an golden egg. you can have the car for a year and slot of things can surface.

We are talking about cars that are between 10 and 20 years old, its just a matter of time before you see the bubbles and such.

the major area to be concerned about is the rockers, expecially at the lift points, dirt and moisture builds up under the rubber pucks and rots them to high hell. Also unless you tale the side skirts off, your not gonna know 100% whats lurking there.

that being said there are some E36's which have faired well and are solid, but I personally would not be overly concerned with a bumper, fender or door that has been replaced, they are just things that bolt onto the main shell, and would rather see new or good metal then bondo on the old ones.

Guess what I am getting at is, it can be pretty but still cost you more then your expecting in other repairs, so make sure your prepaired for repairs, even though a car has low milage and is pretty, doesn't mean every peice of rubber is toast and that means bushings and seals. Things can get pricy quickly with older cars but repairs are usually cheaper then overal cost of purchace price of a new one ( I would love to see a clean E36 bought for 8G get 40G of upgrades and see what it could do vs. a new M3)

Everything is relative to what the owner and potential buyer booth feel a car is worth. I remember someone sold one of the nicer E30's last year for WAY less then alot of people thought is was worth, to the point some were very mad cause he sold it sooo cheap that people felt it brought the value of their cars down. But that all it was worth to him.

OP Enjoy the search of finding your E36, you'll probley learn more about the car and when you find what you want, you'll feel alot better about the car then settling.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #22
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Lets face it.
Rust free, Problem free, low-mileage, E36's have almost become collector cars,
LMAO... I think you need to face reality. E36's will never become collectors cars.

The the M3's will be sought after, but regular non-M's are run of the mill cars sorry to bust your bubble..
Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #23
BSL
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
LMAO... I think you need to face reality. E36's will never become collectors cars.

The the M3's will be sought after, but regular non-M's are run of the mill cars sorry to bust your bubble..
Obviously you didnt read my whole post
There are no misconceptions here.
I drive a clean, bone stock 318. Because I like E36's, the same reason anyone else has one.
The same money would buy me a newer, more reliable honda accord... and THAT is run of the mill.

Quote:
Thanks.
FWIW- this is a Legit ad. Confirmed on the phone...

Last edited by BSL; 11-29-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
damameke
6th Gear Member

"Everything is relative to what the owner and potential buyer both feel a car is worth".

Very good point....

price realistically and be honest of the condition of your car...it will sell.. bearing in mind modded cars has a limited market
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #25
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Obviously you didnt read my whole post
There are no misconceptions here.
No I did read it. Making a statement that E36's are becoming collectors cars is just LOL.

Quote:
I drive a clean, bone stock 318. Because I like E36's, the same reason anyone else has one.
The same money would buy me a newer, more reliable honda accord... and THAT is run of the mill.
What you place value on/in is entirely your opinion, not fact.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #26
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious vr View Post
lmao... I think you need to face reality. E36's will never become collectors cars.
+1.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #27
BSL
2nd Gear Member

Guys. Seriously, Im not advocating that E36's are collector cars.
Read the next sentance. "... to a point, as many disappointed sellers have realized."

This was a subtle rib at the guys who try to over-inflate the value of a not-so-valuable car. Get it? Great, lets move on.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #28
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
in 8 more years you'll be able to easily import eurospecs. I doubt NA spec m3's will become collector cars either.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #29
hawgripper
2nd Gear Member

I orginally started this thread about the misleading descriptions that people have put for their cars for sale. I too agree their is nothing out their in an e36 that will ever become a collector except maybe the very odd M3 if it still has less than 100K's.
I have looked at a lot over the past month and am just frustrated more than anything.

I sold my E34 5 speed in Oct for $4500 which is more than most guys will ever get for them but I had close to $6000 in 2 years of owning it with body, paint and a lot of maintenece parts.
I never tried listing it for $6-7000 trying to recoupe my money.
You will never get money spent on upgrades back, it is just a fact of owning one of these cars.

I wonder sometimes when I see guys with E36's with 250k or more and still looking for 6 plus, but I guess thats why they are still for sale and it's their right to try and sell for whatever they want.

I have never low balled anyone and don't plan on it as I think its rude and disrepectfull to the guy that has in most cases put their sole into these cars.

I guess all I can do is just keep looking and something will eventually turn up.
hawgripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
in 8 more years you'll be able to easily import eurospecs. I doubt NA spec m3's will become collector cars either.
I agree the NA M3's will fade as most 328's and 325's, until they hit the 25year point, which there will be few fine exapmles left.

The 94 euros imported to Canada will be very sought after, other euros that have made the trip.

The really special ones will be the special edition ones that came with the "trunk package" and the one I'd love to find the alpina V8!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: