Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

HELP! make 328i Road legal!!

Hi guys,

Recently I bought a E36 318i with a bunch of mods. The ownership says 318i, 4 door, but the engine is from a 328i, and there are many M3 parts in it. It is basically a 318i shell, with a 328i motor, and M3 everything else.

Killer part here: It's not road legal

It has no interior... No backseat, no door covers, no anything. It has 2 racing seats in the front, a steering wheel (no airbag), and a shifter. The racing seats have no seatbelts (thinking of either racing harness, which must be road legal, or normal seatbelts).
I was hoping you guys could tell me what I need to make this barely road legal.
It also has no catalytic converters and I know I need to put some on for the e-test.
fishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
LOL did you buy a black e36 with a wing?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

yep. no backseat... it's black too...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Did you buy it on the basis it was road legal? also is it the same e36 that was or is for sale on kijiji , it stated not road legal is it the same one?

Last edited by parm; 11-29-2010 at 12:15 PM.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

Yes. I bought it as a track car. I do want to make it road legal though. Has everything I need. Engine, transmission, exhaust and a shell.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Wow. You have your work cut out for you then.

So it will need a lot of things. You are going to need proper seats, because E36s have the seatbelt bucket attached to the seat frame. Almost any aftermarket seat does not have provisions for them, so you are SOL. Obviously you will need to buy the seat belt itself as well. Next thing you will need to do is buy an entire heater box assembly as you will need some sort of fan/defroster to pass a safety AFAIK. I am assuming all the lights and stuff work? Then the usuals, proper tires that have tread, brakes, etc etc.

Oh, and just an FYI, there is nothing M3 on that car except the steering wheel.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

the camshafts are m3... Anyways, Couldn't I just bolt on the seatbelt bucket to the seat or the shell of the car itself? And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do? I know that there is a fan I have to manually turn on and it's an engine fan.. would that be it? Lights work window wipers work windows etc... 3 sets of tires came with it, all have tread. brakes are good.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

ps.
If i needed a car with stereo, door panels, etc, i have my 7 series in the garage... this is purely a project car
Old 11-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
simplycars
6th Gear Member

it will be cheaper to buy another e36 and swap all the parts you will need.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtar View Post
the camshafts are m3... Anyways, Couldn't I just bolt on the seatbelt bucket to the seat or the shell of the car itself? And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do? I know that there is a fan I have to manually turn on and it's an engine fan.. would that be it? Lights work window wipers work windows etc... 3 sets of tires came with it, all have tread. brakes are good.
Are you sure the camshafts are? Because they guy said at first it was 'the cam gears' that were M3 so clearly he didn't have any idea of what he was talking about.

Sure you can bolt the seatbelt bucket to the floor or whatever, but doesn't mean is safe.

Heater box assembly. Where your heater core, fan etc etc all sit. Notice that huge gaping hole under the dash into the engine compartment...

As for the manual engine fan, that's a bunch of crap. The car doesn't even have a coolant temp gauge hooked up, so how do you know what good it does? It could be overheating right in front of you and you wouldn't even know... That fact alone told me the guy who was selling it was a bit of a space cadet.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Are you sure the camshafts are? Because they guy said at first it was 'the cam gears' that were M3 so clearly he didn't have any idea of what he was talking about.

Sure you can bolt the seatbelt bucket to the floor or whatever, but doesn't mean is safe.

Heater box assembly. Where your heater core, fan etc etc all sit. Notice that huge gaping hole under the dash into the engine compartment...

As for the manual engine fan, that's a bunch of crap. The car doesn't even have a coolant temp gauge hooked up, so how do you know what good it does? It could be overheating right in front of you and you wouldn't even know... That fact alone told me the guy who was selling it was a bit of a space cadet.
Haha, I'm not too far from him either... Don't know much about cars. All I felt though, was that the car can go vroom. I plan on hooking up the temp thing real soon. Besides, I can't use it anyways. I'll probably get that hooked up at the same time I do everything else. Parkview BMW would be able to do this right?

So the heater box assembly. Important? If so, how much for one? Also, what does it do? Does it heat up the engine?

EDIT: also as for the bolting of the seatbelt thingy, would that pass the safety test?

Last edited by fishtar; 11-29-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtar View Post
And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do?
The dummy term is the thing that provides heat to the inside of the car, you know so you keep warm in the winter or your windows don't freeze up?

As Rudy said, it's required for safety to have a working defroster.

Track cars usually have all that stuff removed, since heat or a/c isn't needed in a race car.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
The dummy term is the thing that provides heat to the inside of the car, you know so you keep warm in the winter or your windows don't freeze up?

As Rudy said, it's required for safety to have a working defroster.

Track cars usually have all that stuff removed, since heat or a/c isn't needed in a race car.
Awwwwwww. Yeah i think i need one of those. How much is the average price of one?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Call one of these guys, they'll give you good prices on these parts used.

There is also euroguy, but i can't find him under sponsors anymore.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
fishtar
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Call one of these guys, they'll give you good prices on these parts used.

There is also euroguy, but i can't find him under sponsors anymore.
Thanks! Sent two emails

Tags
328i, bmw, e36, legal, road

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: