Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Edueddie
1st Gear Newbie

WTB: E30 what should i look for...

Hi everyone im just seeking for some help in maybe looking for my forever dream car, an E30. I just want to find out more about its mechanical flaws and such. Also what should i look for kilometers wise? I found a 325ix with 255xxxkms...is that too much for a 20yr old bimmer? Are things going to go wrong after a certain stage...?Also would a 318 run as fine and as long as a 325 despite its smaller size and number of cylinders? My budget is pretty limited(max $4000) so i just want something to be running for now and later to have something to invest into...

Appreciate it!
Edueddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
davericher20
black and blue

Any E30 will give you many years if you buy the right one.
no specific e30 is better than the rest as far as maintenance goes. For fun factor on pavement go with an IS model. for winter domination go with an IX
Search helps too, this has been discussed at length.
E30 buyers giude is a sticky in this forum., I suggest reading it before you purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Like stated many times before, the major issue with any 20+ year old Canadian car is rust. Any half well maintained 318/325 will give you 300-400K+ km with no problems. Just look for something as original as possible, solid body, that will be worth investing into!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Check under the body just behind the front wheels, the lift points are a spot many cars have rotten.
Check behind the passenger side rear tire, behind the shock, gas leaks here wash away any rust protection and there are usually holes there.
Check the area under the battery location in the trunk, check this area from the underside of the car.
Check the Licence plate area, and the entire area of the licence plate lights. If you can remove the interior cover and look from inside the trunk as well.
Check the rocker panels just ahead of the rear wheel arches. Rust here is a pain to fix. Also check the wheel arches as well. I'd use a magnet in a sock so it won't scratch anything.

Lastly if you want to be really picky check the bottom of the rear subframe for any heavy rust or cracks, and the front subframe for holes rusted through the sides. I've also seen trailing arm spring perches almost rusted off, likewise for the upper perches.

If the car has holes where the front jack points are, or in the rocker panels where the rear subframe mounts to the car, or through the rear upper spring perches it is then a $500 car in my opinion. Commonly these are rust areas that become extremely difficult to repair and makes the car nearly worthless to the average buyer. If you are a welder or your best buddy is a welder, it could be worthwile to buy, but like I said... I wouldn't spend more than $500 at that point unless the car has some really useful parts.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 11-25-2010 at 02:07 AM.
InfiniteDice is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: