Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Its alive! Eta to 325i swap.

The timing pin on my 85 325e flywheel flew off. Instead of investing the labour to fix the pin it sped up my engine swap plans. Thanks to Rudi and Marcus they found me a 325i motor with all the accessories required to do the swap. I took their recommendation and they put on a new timing belt, waterpump and rod bearings plus adjusted the valves.

The electrical was the only real unknown as the early 325e uses a "square" C101 connector and the M20B25 engine is a round C101 connector. After pouring through the entire electrical manual of the two cars, I stumbled upon a dude who makes the harness for $150. Close to buying that I found a rogue service manual page from BMW which shows the two connections side by side. Almost like BMW was showing us how to swap it!!!

I made the harness (again thank's Rudi and Marcus for letting me cut a fuse box from another car) a few weeks in advance and crossed my fingers.

The swap actually wasn't that tough and within about 3 hours we had the old motor out. That evening around 10 am we cranked the car (about 8 hours of actual working). Nothing. After 20 minutes my buddy realized that I had put the starter trigger wire on the wrong terminal to my old starter. The car fired right up!

Some notes on the swap:

1) My early eta starter has a spade terminal for trigger. The newer harness has a round terminal, cut the round off and made a spade.
2) Larger DME computer in my older glove box will take a bit of moving around to get the glovebox to close nicely.
3) Reused my old distributor cap and rotor and all the wires (all new) except #6 from the old engine which contained the pulse generator.
4) Reused old transmission. Received installed clutch with new motor. Now my throw out bearing is rattling around. Odd but the old engine combo was very hard to shift. Perhaps input shaft wasn't lubed. New combo is smooth as silk.
4) Installed the old crank and pulse trigger in the old transmission to cover up the holes.
5) Small modification to fuel feed line (its much shorter and comes under the intake, versus up and over). Return line the same.
6) Need 4 wire heated O2 for new computer versus old 3 wire non-heated. Remember you not only need the new O2 sensor, you will also need the harness that connects it. I didn't realize this so we made a 3 ft harness.
7) Oil cooler. Bent up a few brackets and welded them to the bottom of the car. The mounting of this piece and fabrication was probably the most complex part of this swap, and that itself was cake.
8) The new AFM air intake is larger than the eta so the "horn" that connects the airbox to the plastic behind the headlights I will need to find.
9) New harness has a cluster of grounds that bolt to where the battery would be in a convertible, as opposed to the old harness which has a small ground off various parts of the engine and one from the valve cover to the same tray. Looks like a more stable ground supply. Reused the large ground off my old engine to the body side (from near the kick out of the oil pan on driver's side).
10) Upper coolant crossover hose is very close to clutch fan. Don't remember this on old engine but maybe I never paid attention. Its not hitting, but about 1/2" from the fan.
11) Feels good to not have like 10 coolant temp sensors that cost $50 each and a wacky idle system that is overly complex.

Car sounds awesome, even with the more restrictive eta exhaust. With my 2.73 eta gear I can do 110 km/hr in 2nd gear. LOL.... time for a diff swap.

I'll probably add to this post as I remember any tidbits, but aside from making that connector to the two C101 harnesses, the swap literally was plug and play.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Last edited by DR.ZED; 11-22-2010 at 03:01 PM.
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Nice job man. I did a 2.7i with my old 'e', all the electronics and wiring was from an '89.

I actually put my 2.73 LSD in my current 325i, on long drives I can cruise and get amazing fuel mileage. When passing on the highway I drop it into 3rd. If the diff you have is an LSD and you do a fair amount of long distance you could just keep it. Off the line the car isn't as fast, but between the gears I just get the revs up and shift late if I need the extra go.

Later.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Ya I was thinking of keeping the 2.73 (it is an LSD) but really it is VERY low for my driving taste. If the engine had a bit more low down torque like the eta then ya. It feels like I'm waiting forever for the revs to built... (sorta like a big turbo Supra lol).

Maybe a 3.73 would be a good compromise.
85 325e M5
Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
(Rudi knows that it actually didn't "just start right up")....

We won't discuss details though.
85 325e M5
Old 11-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

IMG_0128

IMG_0125

IMG_0131

IMG_0129

IMG_0097

IMG_0116
85 325e M5

Last edited by DR.ZED; 11-23-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
sweet6e30
1st Gear Newbie

hells yea, pics for the win! nice!
sweet6e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
That's no LS(x)!

Good to see it didn't just end up mothballed.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

2.73? You guys mean 2.79/2.93, right?

Good job on the swap! BTW Zed I saw your car in Ajax a while back, Church/2 area.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Exactly... it's one of those things you look up and know... then it all gets blurry a year or two later.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
2.73? You guys mean 2.79/2.93, right?

Good job on the swap! BTW Zed I saw your car in Ajax a while back, Church/2 area.
It was a while back. It occurred to me that it was 6 months since I had pushed the car onto the trailer, lol!

I believe you are on the E side of Church S south of Rossland? There is a house with yellow E30?
85 325e M5
Old 11-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
That's no LS(x)!

Good to see it didn't just end up mothballed.
Hahaha, I should stop announcing my redonkulous plans before they become reality.
85 325e M5
Old 11-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

No I live in Scarborough, I was visiting family in Ajax and saw the car parked on the street just a few houses down.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: