Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
abc12
4th Gear Member

winter jackets

i'm in the market for a new replacement jacket. went to yorkdale the other day, found a new brand i've never heard of called "refrigiwear". supposely from europe, used in meat market freezer storage rooms, which the jacket itself can with stand -50 degress celsius and keep you warm still. the price that it was listed at, was insane, almost $800.00. It's also water proof and wind-proof as well and a very light weight jacket too which is nice. Anyone wear these, and have feed back on them. How would these compare to the canada goose jackets? any other types of jackets similar to these worth checking out as well.

mainly i've been looking for one that i can use for skiing, i know the styling of this isn't a ski/board type, but if it's wind proof, water proof, keep you warm @ -50 degress, guess it's evenly comparable to any other type as well right?. I've been to sporting life, sport chek, hog-town...., most of the ski/board jackets's i've looked at, don't look too appealing to wear.

thanks
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Don't know what this line is like but most people have some extra considerations when looking for an alpine jacket versus work clothing.

Breathability (ie. rubber would be bad, pit zips are good, material should allow for perspiration)
Storage (hand warmer pockets, interior pockets, gloves c-clip, MP3 player pouch, etc)
Snow type amenities (ie. snow skirt, thumb holders, avalanche beacon, season's lift pass see through pouch, etc)
Range of movement

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
my mommy bought me a canada goose constable. Its plenty warm, although it has only gotten down to -10 here so far.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
abc12
4th Gear Member

anyone know which stores here carry a good variety of refrigiwear, canada goose, or anything similar to those.

i'm thinking of visiting buffalo this coming week, walden galleria, haven't been there in decades. think that'd be a good place to visit?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Marks makes some very nice/quality winter jackets.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
magnus
6th Gear Member

Take my advice and look at these:
http://www.66north.com/us/home/

Made in Iceland and i can tell you the best money i ever spend in clothes!!!!!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

If you're looking for a skiing/alpine jacket that would keep you warm it's all down to layering. If you wear just the coat it would probably be bulky in order to trap the air for insulation.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
abc12
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Take my advice and look at these:
http://www.66north.com/us/home/

Made in Iceland and i can tell you the best money i ever spend in clothes!!!!!
was just about to actually visit this store, but don't see any stores located in ontario...
Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
abc12
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
If you're looking for a skiing/alpine jacket that would keep you warm it's all down to layering. If you wear just the coat it would probably be bulky in order to trap the air for insulation.
that's another concern of mine is size/weight, been looking at columbia jackets too, where they have removable inner liners, but the jacket itself is heavy, no big deal, but compared to a thinner light weight jacket that'll keep you just as warm or even better, since they are rated @ -50 degress which is unbelievable..
Old 11-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Be sure to wear some UA heatware along with a couple layers of thinsulate to increase your heat retention.

'04 645cic
'00 740i Sport
Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
abc12
4th Gear Member

so i went across the border yesterday, down to walden galleria, had no luck trying to find some refrigiwear gear, since no-one's heard of them, or any decent winter jacket. The mall itself, isn't really decent @ all or much of a shopping mall, 1 reason why i decided to go there was because of the popular cheese-cake factory... Also went to check out the niagara falls out-let malls.

can any one recommend any other malls to check out in the states, someone mentioned one to me, but don't remember, it's a further drive which doesn't bother me, but the mall itself is well worth visiting. i remember checking out the web-site awhile ago though. If you guys know of any, that'll be great.

Also heard you can take tour buses down to the states for shopping as well. anyone know which companies offer this tour, is it something worth looking into, or just better driving there yourself?

thanks again
Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Erie PA (Millcreek Mall) http://www.millcreekmall.net/home/index.ch2
two hours further south from Buffalo. No tax on clothes.

'04 645cic
'00 740i Sport
Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

66 North is AMAZING!!
My friends have bought the clothing and inner layers and they are walking around in Jeans with the inner layers and a regular sweater with a fall jacket!! its a joke how warm and dry they are!
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #14
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

If you get this one
http://www.examiner.com/outdoor-recr...-jacket-review
don't use your thumbs to take your jacket off. I put a hole in the wrist area within a week. Doh!

And if you're going to buy it online, get a size larger than you normally would as they fit slim.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: