Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
^ its true dynojets read higher because they are inertia dynos whereas a mustang is a load dyno and simulates driving on a road. btw i'm not sure if mustang dynos are calibrated and locked from the supplier but that may be a cause for reading higher. Dynojets on the other hand are calibrated and locked from the factory. Dynos shouldn't really be compared because there will ALWAYS be some variability, its just how the universe works. The best use is to compare you own cars previous performance to its current performance and even then its a bit iffy seeing as the same car can give is a range of hp readouts.
+1 well said!
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #17
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD View Post
years ago, I got the same sort of results with my built M20B27 stroker. Heavy headwork, extrude-honed intake, flow-matched, 273 cams, bored TB, M30 MAF, 19# injectors, jacobs ignition, intake/exhaust, 4.10 gears etc... got so fed-up spending money on NA mods to see marginal gains that I eventually went with a 80HP shot of NOS. Ran that way for 2 years and didn't regret it one bit (proper setup w/progressive controller etc). Surprised the hell out of many IROC/Mustang owners (this is back in '95). Found out how "delicate" the E30 drive-line becomes with near 300ft/lbs! Tearing engine mounts, guibos, center hanger bearing, subframe mounts & diff mounts. Eventually built a 6-pt cage to strengthen chassis & did one of the first M52 swaps (1998)... baselined 222wHP w/bolt ons.. later supercharged it with 12psi.
Some engines are "maxed" out in efficiency from the factory. Not high HP but efficient motors. The S2000 engine is the same way. Only boost or juice will get it really going.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
^ its true dynojets read higher because they are inertia dynos whereas a mustang is a load dyno and simulates driving on a road. btw i'm not sure if mustang dynos are calibrated and locked from the supplier but that may be a cause for reading higher. Dynojets on the other hand are calibrated and locked from the factory. Dynos shouldn't really be compared because there will ALWAYS be some variability, its just how the universe works. The best use is to compare you own cars previous performance to its current performance and even then its a bit iffy seeing as the same car can give is a range of hp readouts.
I completely understand how they work and why there are differences. That said most load bearing dynos can be calibrated. Regardless, no one will ever be able to convince me that one dyno reads higher or lower then another because it just doesn't mean jack to me. You cannot compare between dynos and blindly saying one style will always read high just is NOT true. I've seen it for myself on more then one occasion.

DJ cannot be calibrated because they measure by the time it takes to spin the drum which is a known the mass.

No one here needs to tell me how dyno's work I'm fully aware of how they work and why, I'm trying to correct an observation here about them always reading higher then a DJ. It's utter and complete BS and it's spread all over the internet.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #19
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

If both dyno systems are calibrated correctly for the car in question, then the mustang dyno must all ways read lower, as it's simply the law of physics and of course based on how both systems work

here is a good compare video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GI77QHCNSE

IMHO with that said at the end of the day a sixty foot time or QT is much more impressive then any dyno result

Last edited by bmwconnect; 11-18-2010 at 05:29 PM.
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: