Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #136
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Great build.

have you considered using Por15 first before the filler.
http://www.por15canada.com/can/preventrustpaint.asp

It's used widely in classic car restoration.

For surface rust areas...that you are not cutting out..

Grind down well, use the marine cleaner to clean the metal, use the metal prep spray as directed, then put Por-15 over it.

before it dries (2-3 hours), put on a coat of regular primer..... then you can start bodywork again as normal....

It's used on frame rails, suspension pieces etc that are naturally rusty...

dries rock hard, and air tight... thus stopping the rust.
MrRWD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #137
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Thanks!

Yeah, I actually tried Por-15 for the first time this year on my E30 back in April, but I wasn't exactly impressed with it. Usually stuffs rusts from the inside out, so the seams, channels and whatnot you cannot get into. Even with a few coats of Por-15, and half a year later you can see traces of the rust coming back out again. It only works IF you can coat the entire area that is affected 100%, otherwise it is no better than regular paint. If you could dip the car, or at least the bottom of it, then yes I would agree that would definitely be a better option. But insides of rockers, frame rails, etc I can't get to.

The surface rust areas like the outer body I will just wire wheel, and primer/paint over. With a few good coats of paint (both sides), it should seal it well enough to stop the rust. Tremclad FTW!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #138
///Maluco
5erholic

cool man...at least you know how to weld. I have no frickin clue

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #139
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Thanks!

Yeah, I actually tried Por-15 for the first time this year on my E30 back in April, but I wasn't exactly impressed with it. Usually stuffs rusts from the inside out, so the seams, channels and whatnot you cannot get into. Even with a few coats of Por-15, and half a year later you can see traces of the rust coming back out again. It only works IF you can coat the entire area that is affected 100%, otherwise it is no better than regular paint. If you could dip the car, or at least the bottom of it, then yes I would agree that would definitely be a better option. But insides of rockers, frame rails, etc I can't get to.

The surface rust areas like the outer body I will just wire wheel, and primer/paint over. With a few good coats of paint (both sides), it should seal it well enough to stop the rust. Tremclad FTW!
Rust on seams are difficult ... almost impossible to fix without replacement or cutting it out and rebuilding it. That's the fate of a lot of e30's & eE36's... door seams rust like crazy.... Rustproofing really does help that!!!!

The surface rust... Por15 is best for that. It works!! Wire wheel it, por15 marine cleaner, por15 metal ready, then por15.. then primer or tremclad.
(Also have to follow instructions carefully... and don't contaminate the product).

I can't weld yet... so I picked a body that had good doors (seams), and very little surface rust.

Good project though.... great work.
MrRWD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #140
craz azn
6th Gear Member

So it's crunch time! I just weighed my options, as the car NEEDS to be somewhat finished by Wednesday night as it will get booted out of the shop by then (definitely not getting the hood or trunk done unfortunately). I think my plan is to work on it full tilt over the course of the weekend. I think my goals are to paint the entire car late Saturday so it can dry over Sunday and give it a quick scuff and lay down another coat Monday evening. (Roughly two days aka Tuesday and Wednesday are needed to clean the mess that I made out of the shop by trying to pull this off in such a short time)

Today I started by cutting some plates to fit in the bumper shock holes in the front nose. I got lazy and only did one side for now.

Cut up sheet to fit (I actually fit it to the other side since it fit better)

All welded up, holes closed, grinded down and ready for filler!

Too bad I still have the other side

Big difference with a bit of paint!

And a quick walkaround of how I left the rear end for the evening. Ground off all of the remaining welds, and slopped some filler on. Gonna be a lot of sanding tomorrow!

Last edited by craz azn; 11-19-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #141
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Keep at it buddy

Looks like lots of progress.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #142
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

Impressive!

Note to self: buy welder

Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com
talltorontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #143
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Woooo, more progress! Worked until 2am with the help of Kurt yesterday scraping paint and finishing up the nose on the car. I'll have to power through the left door and get it all welded shut and sanded smooth, possibly might be able to pull off paint today! Stay tuned!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #144
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Nice

Really wish I could drop by and have a look. Keep posting with the pictures.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #145
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Hmm. Now the weekend is over. I don't know, I feel almost disappointed by the lack of progress, but I can't say that, because Kurt and myself worked our asses off this weekend (with the help of Richard whenever he decided to show up lol), however I didn't reach my goal of having the whole car painted, I must look at the bright side, and at least all the main pieces of the puzzle are painted. Only the door remains to be painted, and a few spots here and there that need a few dents worked out (that mostly I decided to rush on ).

Kurt has a few pics of the front nose panel when we were working on it... that turned out super duper well. I am very pleased with that. Everything lines up well and looks nice and straight. Here are the pics I have with me currently:

And the rear of the car almost sorted, just a few more spots to touch up in this pic.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #146
craz azn
6th Gear Member

And the fun part... PAINT!

Kurt seemed to be very enthusiastic about the paint part, so he painted the front end. He did a good job.

... While I painted the back and left side of the car.

First coat complete! We'll see how the next few days pans out as far as progress goes, for now its clean up time in the shop...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #147
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAK. Take it!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #148
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Jordan Chase FTW!! looolllll

Old 12-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #149
craz azn
6th Gear Member

I should be working on my projects for school, but I find myself on ebay having bought this:

Center console I found on ebay from a 3.0CSL. Cool piece to have... good place to put my breaker switches and kill switch.

Also eyeing some new window seals and some oddball trim pieces on ebay lol

Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #150
dgmorr
4th Gear Member

Wow, can't believe I only saw this now, awesome project!

You need some of this

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: