Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

^^^I doubt any messaging app will ever become preloaded (world wide)... There will always be new competition for a new, better featured app. This is why BBM being internal to RIM has such an advantage. It's on every BB and works no matter what RIM device you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie View Post
Because not all of us has unlimited txt, and International txting is not cheap.i use wat's up on my N97 to talk to people internationally with iphones,BB, etc..
In that case it makes sense. It's also good for one other thing IMO. Sticking it to the carriers that charge (a lot) for SMS messages. What people pay for SMSing is absurd in the first place, and costs the carriers almost nothing to send that packet, it really is a rip off.

But like I said above, there will always be a struggle for a messaging app, so getting everyone to use one app is very difficult.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
couple questions

What is so great about BBM? I understand that it doesn't use your text messages, and there's no character limit (neither of which really matter, most data plans have 10000K+ texts per month included)

Also, if you have a data plan (anyone with a blackberry not have a data plan?), you can use any IM software on your smartphone icq/msn/aol/facebook chat/irc/etc. You can also chat with people who dont have a blackberry. Messaging uses hardly any bandwidth at all.

and my all time, #1 reason why i will never use bbm: There's no option to turn off your read reciept. I dont want people getting a confirmation I got their message. That's inconvenient, and could set a dangerous legal precedent.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
couple questions

What is so great about BBM? I understand that it doesn't use your text messages, and there's no character limit (neither of which really matter, most data plans have 10000K+ texts per month included)

Also, if you have a data plan (anyone with a blackberry not have a data plan?), you can use any IM software on your smartphone icq/msn/aol/facebook chat/irc/etc. You can also chat with people who dont have a blackberry. Messaging uses hardly any bandwidth at all.
It's great because it's an integrated system. You're not relying on external servers, etc. It's fully encrypted. No one but you and the other person can see what you're talking about (not even RIM). This goes for any data transmitted over RIM servers BTW.

BBM may not see to have many advantages over other IM methods, but being apart of an integrated, secure system is what stands out. No one can spoof another's PIN (the ID of a RIM device), no one can hack your messages, data, etc. All something that is very possible when just sending out unprotected data packets into the net with other IM/devices.

Quote:
and my all time, #1 reason why i will never use bbm: There's no option to turn off your read reciept. I dont want people getting a confirmation I got their message. That's inconvenient, and could set a dangerous legal precedent.
I don't see what the problem is. If you have someone on your list, or if you give them your PIN you obviously trust them. I don't see how getting confirmation of a delivered/read message can make legal issues. And if that were the case I would think that the RIM device is already apart of a corporate BES network in which case you have a lot more to worry about.

Confirmation of private BBM messages on your personal device would mean nothing IMO.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 11-10-2010 at 02:49 PM.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^You can use 256bit SSL encryption on any chat session using OTR (by cryptofreaks), but i do see your point there. I never really discuss anything serious on the phone anyway, but i do see how for other people that would make sense.

On a personal level is the only level i'd care about the read reciept on. I gotta be able to deny getting my friends/gf's/family's texts. If they knew i read them and ignored them, it would make my life harder.

Either way, thanks for explaining the advantages, BBM just isn't worth it for me to give up my iphone.

Is the new blackberry touchscreen? Cause if so that's retarded. That was the only thing i really liked about blackberry's.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #20
paul__chen
2nd Gear Member

honestly, imo, bb's are pretty much shitty phones but BIS (email, bbm, what have you) make up for any shortcomings it has. if it weren't for BIS, i wouldn't purchase a blackberry.

besides the privacy feature of bbm; for msn and all those other IM clients -- well both you and other users need to actually open the application and have it running on your smartphone in the background. bbm is always on no matter what. this may not seem like a big deal but when you or other people are on business, landing at various airports; most people don't immediately think of opening msn/clients etc but rather just turning on the cell antenna for reception. turn on ur bb's antenna, and any bbm's you've received while offline are instantaneously delivered from rim's servers. furthermore, msn and all that other stuff drains most batteries on smartphones really badly when you leave it on all day, bbm doesn't.

text msging isn't comparable to bbm. bbm is like msn, instantaneous, literally no lag. the group feature is key on bbm, i love it. it's like a nonstop chatroom going on.

the read receipt thing kinda goes both ways but i ultimately do find it beneficial in that at times i can know for certain when people -- whom are close to me -- are already up in the skies on their flight, have no reception, etc. checkmark with no D or R, indicates this. but yeah, some creepers definitely use the receipt feature for some shady ulterior motives
paul__chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
paul__chen
2nd Gear Member

also, the msn app (rim made) for bb's is pretty bomb. i actually rarely open msn on my computer now, would rather use the msn on my bb. never disconnects or has any memory leaks, etc. does drain the battery more though
paul__chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

being able to send voice/pics over BBM is pretty good too. and being able to forward on others vcard adds up to one very simple IM tool to use. the bar code scanning also makes it very slick.

the group or mass message out is also a very useful feature.

but the biggest thing is it is standard on all BB despite the model. you just can't beat that instant critical mass.

the torch does have touch screen.

i'm not sure what to do when it's time for hware upgrade. i really like the iphone UI. but giving up BBM is a tough one. if the UI and appworld was as large as iphone i think iphone wouldn't be where it is now.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #23
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I gotta be able to deny getting my friends/gf's/family's texts. If they knew i read them and ignored them, it would make my life harder.
Ahhhhhhh.... well there are ways
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #24
Sneaky
One of the Zealots

I went from Iphone to BB,

Blackberry >*

And BBM is great because everyone is on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvf5ml8D5wY
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #25
98M3NACE
3rd Gear Member

had iphone 3 got bold 9700 had it for 2 months got iphone4 never looked back. bb are junk always having to restart/pull the battery i no personally i like texting over bbm because bbm you are forced to respond right away R/D bs

also the iphone is so much better at everything else even down to the camera and it has an IPOD!!!!! way less hassle then having to bring an ipod and phone with you everywhere
Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #26
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

Everyone has sms
Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #27
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98M3NACE View Post
had iphone 3 got bold 9700 had it for 2 months got iphone4 never looked back. bb are junk always having to restart/pull the battery i no personally i like texting over bbm because bbm you are forced to respond right away R/D bs

also the iphone is so much better at everything else even down to the camera and it has an IPOD!!!!! way less hassle then having to bring an ipod and phone with you everywhere
you really don't know how to use a BB, I can read BBM without the other person knowing, it's very easy, and after reading it it will still say unread, I use my BB as a music player as well & movie player to, my BB can play DivX, can't say the same about your iPhone, I can also transfer music & movies onto my phone by just click, drag & drop, don't need to convert anything or use iTunes(which I really hate), also the external speaker on any iPhone product is horrible, it's like half the volume(if that) of a BB, people are always trying to show me these fancy videos on their iPhone, but you can't hear anything with the external speaker.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #28
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98M3NACE View Post
had iphone 3 got bold 9700 had it for 2 months got iphone4 never looked back. bb are junk always having to restart/pull the battery
Yours must have been defective... I never have to pull my battery.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #29
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
On a personal level is the only level i'd care about the read reciept on. I gotta be able to deny getting my friends/gf's/family's texts. If they knew i read them and ignored them, it would make my life harder.

You really think people BELIEVE you when you tell them, "sorry I didn't get your text??" Hahah
Crock of shit and I would call you on it! I;ve asked friends who used that excuse on me to show me their phone, then I would scroll through their messages and show them that they DID infact receive it.

Unless they were out of the country or in a bunker for days, there is NO WAY! they didn't receive the text.

Edit, BB all the way! ( I went from I phone to BB)

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 11-11-2010 at 05:29 PM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #30
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

[quote=Quack;1464092]you really don't know how to use a BB, I can read BBM without the other person knowing, it's very easy, and after reading it it will still say unread, QUOTE]

How do you do it fool proof?
sometimes I am able to pull it off, others not.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: