Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #106
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

Rudy - update? don't leave us hangin man...

Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com
talltorontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #107
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Well, I guess what will happen next is just to get the car going NAed for now. A friend offered a header to borrow temporarily. Looks like a nice piece, just needs sandblasting and paint. I think that's fair, my friend will get it back in better shape than he lent it to me!

Nice 2.5" outlet will mate up to my 3" turbo exhaust better than the puny reducer that I chopped off the end of the header.... I'm not too worried about backpressure and such right now, as this won't be permanent.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #108
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Small updates today.

Painted the header today and installed. Looked great until I looked underneath and saw how much it stuck out the bottom of the car.

Talk about clearance fail. Almost the entire diameter of the header outlet is sticking down lower than the floor and frame rails... So much for going low. Probably a sign that I need to go function over form on this car compared to my E30 LOL.

Also busted out the hole saw and pounded a hole into the firewall to get my harness through. Ecu and Idle control box happily live inside the car now. Mounted my coil as well, but I need to get another bracket and this one didn't fit to my liking around the coil itself.

Also mounted the ignition control unit to the firewall.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #109
markw

Updates fgt!

<3
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #110
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Updates fgt!

<3
love you too jackass LOL. Where you been bro? Your name popped up when I was chatting with some of the boys at the dealer in Toronto a couple weeks back...

School is back in swing, updates will have to hold off for a bit. September is a busy month, at the track almost every weekend until October.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #111
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Update:

That exhaust header has to come off. The car literally got stuck rolling onto the hoist today. I can't stand that. Raised the car up half an inch for now.

Got some small stuff done today. Got a rad support welded in. Used some rubber grommets from an E30 in the back so it locates the rad at the bottom like stock. Finished a couple patches on the frame rails and gave it some paint so it won't rust.

Yeah, it sticks out the front a little. No big deal, it is covered by the front spoiler anyways.

Just for kicks, I threw on my newest set of BBS wheels I've picked up recently. Had these on the E30 for a week just to try them out, but I think they look best on the 02. I've got some cool plans for these in the future once the car is up and running

With a 6mm spacer up front. This rim is 15x7, et25... now effectively et19. I'd like to run a 20mm, then it would pair well with the other set of wheels I have for the car, but we'll see when I get to that point.

Last edited by craz azn; 10-09-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #112
craz azn
6th Gear Member

So yesterday, a few friends came over to help dig into the bodywork. The plan was to chop out any major rust spots, and paint it all up with random paint so it won't rust over winter. What was a quick day job has now turned into a perfection, estimated two week long body makeover in the garage with lots of sandpaper, a few rollers and a can of tremclad. Yeah I said it. But I am very confident I can make this look good.

Richard went to work on taking the car apart. Tore off the door seals, drilled out the rivets in the trims, and lots of odds and ends here and there. Kurt got the easy job taking panels off the car, and scraping what we found was a HUGE puddle of bondo in the right rear quarter. And I was just running around sanding random parts of the car with probably the most worn out piece of sandpaper ever seen...

Here is the car after all the fun and games yesterday afternoon/evening.

This is the right side quarter I bashed out. It took awhile to figure out how to get the huge dent out, but slowly bit by bit, I got the creases and the stress out of the panel and it popped back into shape for the most part. The circled bit was the worst of the area. I started to chop some more pieces out of the bottom of the valance... eww crustyyyyy.

And the roof. That's only one thin coat... Even though it looks shitty in pics via phone, and shitty in person, it's definitely salvageable. I forecast with three coats, it will look great.

Within the next three days I hope to have all the holes and patches welded, and possibly even go as far as cutting the rear fenders for the flares (since I won't need that nice fender lip digging into my tires when the car is lowered).

Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #113
GBel
1st Gear Newbie

Hey Rudy just happen to stumble on your 02 project,I am impressed.I guess you will have
it ready by spring. Keep up the great work. I will have to drop by the shop & have a
gander. I just put my E9 away for the winter today.

Gary
73 Chamonix
GBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #114
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Roller? Dude, I thought we were going to spray it in my garage? Do the prep, and bring it here.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #115
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

Rather than tremclad, do single stage acrylic and then wetsand. If you want a hand let me know.

I showed you the bumpers on mine and that's what I did - not bad and the acrylic is not that expensive. Likely under $100 for enough to do entire car, and you get a bmw colour match.

2nd page has the good links...

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...t=93128&page=3

TTG

Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com

Last edited by talltorontoguy; 11-09-2010 at 02:38 PM.
talltorontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #116
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Gary - thanks man

John - I'll give it a try first. Worst case is sand half of it off and spray the whole car.

Rod - I know I'm letting you guys down ... but like I said, if it doesn't work, it's easy to sand off and paint over. Then at least the car has a decent base of white to spray onto.

I worked a bit on the right side of the car this afternoon. Funny, I thought I did so much, but after standing back and looking at it, I have barely anything to show for. Got all the holes on the right side filled, most are grinded down. I also started to sand out all the dust in the roof, going to buy some new rollers and give it a second coat tomorrow evening. I think that will be the deciding factor if I push on with this chintzy painting method or if I will actually man up and spray it myself.

This is how I left it. I hope there is enough hardener in that, or that will cost me another hour of swearing up and down trying to clean it all up. We'll see tomorrow morning before I go to class.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #117
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Well... so... fail! Hardener sucked nut.... by almost 24 hours later it was still tacky. I wasn't a happy camper. Went to buy new hardener and so far so good. I only did a small section this time instead of wasting a load of filler. I'll be sanding the crap out of it tomorrow.

Also gave the roof a scuff and layed down another layer of paint. It definitely has more depth than the last time, but with that depth starts to show a few dents I kinda missed before Whatever, not gonna loose sleep over it. Ended up with the same texture, but with enough paint put down, it should easily sand back down. So far, I am more less on schedule. I will drop another coat on the roof on Friday, and by Sunday I'll give wetsanding a try. In the meantime, busy prepping everywhere else, welding holes, filling bumps, and lots and lots of sanding.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #118
jm1602
5th Gear Member

hmm

Fridge-like.

Sort of like the yellow car Dave and Richard painted.
Keep at it buddy.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #119
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1602 View Post
Fridge-like.

Sort of like the yellow car Dave and Richard painted.
Keep at it buddy.
Looked at it this morning, its almost dry and now that it is settled, it actually looks a lot better. I might fix the dents in the roof afterall.... I am sure I can make this look good. It will just take a bit of time, thats all.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #120
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Today was mostly sanding, and another application of spots that didn't get bondo before. I will need to fill once more on the passenger door since I ran out, but it should be ready to paint by tomorrow night. I think it is turning out great! I gave the passenger floor a coat of paint to use up one of my junky rollers I don't want to use on the outside (lint and crap in it).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: