Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Exclamation Canadians citizens are in the 'shadow of death in Iran'

Quote:

Canadians in shadow of death in Iran

November 06, 2010 8:24:28 AM

In October, 2008, Saeed Malekpour’s new life in Canada looked as golden as the sunlight on the autumn foliage.

With a degree in metallurgical engineering from a prestigious Iranian university he was happily settled in Ontario and about to enroll in a master’s program at University of Victoria.

But a decision to visit his dying father in Tehran changed his life forever.

Malekpour is in Iran’s feared Evin prison awaiting what the court has told him will be a death sentence. His cellmate, Hamid Ghassemi-Shall of Toronto, is already facing execution.

-excerpt-

“He disappeared four days after his arrival,” she said. “He went to the university to get a confirmation of his degree for his master’s application. Then my sister-in-law called me in the middle of the night and said that Saeed hadn’t come home.”

Eftekhari, who was booked to follow her husband to Tehran, arrived three weeks later, in November, to a Kafkaesque scenario.

“I got a call from somebody who didn’t introduce himself. He said ‘if you want to know about your husband come to this address.’ When I reached it they held me for four hours, interrogated me, insulted me, screamed at me and treated me like a criminal. I was panicked. There were three of them, all big men. I just kept thinking I would never see my husband or parents again. Here, if you’re detained you can hire a lawyer. In Iran everything is hidden. And then you’re gone.”

Eftekhari was released, and later allowed a brief visit with Malekpour who was “almost unrecognizable” after more than a month of torture and detention. She left the country at his urging. His torment was only beginning.

Supporting himself as a computer programmer in Canada, Malekpour was charged with “Internet offences,” that included “designing and moderating adult content websites” as well as agitating against the regime, insulting Iran’s president and Supreme Leader, and having contact with “foreign entities,” a euphemism for spying.

He may also be accused as a “corrupter of the earth,” an undefined charge that warrants the death sentence.
Savage interrogation and a forced confession followed.

“After severe beatings, one of the interrogators threatened to pull out my tooth with a pair of tongs,” he wrote in a letter that reached his family. “One of my (teeth) broke and my jaw was displaced after I was kicked in the face. However, the physical tortures were nothing compared to the psychological torments. I endured long solitary confinement (totalling more than one year), constant threats to arrest and torture my wife and family if I did not cooperate, threats to kill me.

After Malekpour’s “confession,” he was told to expect a death sentence, and the verdict is to be delivered this month.

Malekpour’s cellmate, Ghassemi-Shall, has already been condemned, and his wife Antonella Mega lives in fear that the death sentence will be carried out.

“I can’t even express myself when I think of it,” she says.

Like Malekpour, the Toronto shoe salesman was visiting a seriously ill relative in Iran when he was arrested two years ago on spying charges, shortly after his brother in Tehran was jailed, then died in detention.

Ghassemi-Shall is a Canadian citizen, while Malekpour is a Canadian resident who emigrated from Iran in 2004.

Derakhshan, famed for popularizing blogging in Iran, is also a Canadian. He was given 20 years for “cooperating with a hostile regime” and spreading propaganda.

But Iran does not recognize dual citizenship, and treats visiting emigrants as Iranians. Thousands, like the imprisoned men — who are not political refugees — frequently return for family visits without incident.

The Canadian government, a strident critic of the Iranian regime, has so far been unable to obtain their release. But Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon has taken up the case of Ghassemi-Shall, a ray of hope for his family.

Why were the three men singled out for such draconian charges and abuse?

“There’s a pervasive culture of brutality, and people can be arrested for any number of reasons,” says McGill University law professor and former UN prosecutor Payam Akhavan, who monitors human rights in Iran.

“It shows that Iran is much more chaotic than we believe it to be. There’s in-fighting among various groups who have their own agendas. Even people who think they are immune can be arrested. At the end of the day the regime has to understand there is a price to pay for human rights violations.”

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2622599/posts
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...-death-in-iran
any1 watch tv news? see this on there? is the canadian gov protesting it?
didn't ask the parents yet..

note the fervant nationalism and heavy police state structure, regimented by severe 'morality'
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

this really is not describable in any words. Countries with dictatorship leaders such as Ahmadinejad are always bound to have inner gov mafias that do ****ed up shit like that and thats strictly to send a message to the world and plant fear within the citizens.

unfortunately nothing can be done.
Aloush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
canuckder
4th Gear Member

where do you find all these articles?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

I know Aloush its very messed up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckder View Post
where do you find all these articles?
synchronicity? no i don't know i'm reading something on a forum then i stumble across something,....

like either of those 2 links go to em , then click their main pages, and read some news stories.bet you could find something too..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: