Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
tig
4th Gear Member

BBM for Iphone?

Can this actually be done? or is it bullshit? his link obiously doesnt work

96 318is...sold
97 328is supercharged..sold
98 740il sitting in the garage
04 645ci, 6speed, H&R coils, straight pipes, afe intake
tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

there is an app call "What's App" - my sis has it on her BB and it works.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
dbworld4k
Addict

+1 for What's App. Another popular one known as KIK Messenger is rather terrible and very unstable.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
Can this actually be done? or is it bullshit? his link obiously doesnt work
It's BS...

There is no was a non BB device can gain access to the RIM servers (you need to have a valid PIN), plus you need either a BIS/BES data plan.

What was happening in that video is this. BBM can add SMS messages into BBM if you like. That's all. No voodoo.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
twboy1999
5th Gear Member

Just use whatsapp
Everyone use it
Old 11-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
LOSO
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
It's BS...

There is no was a non BB device can gain access to the RIM servers (you need to have a valid PIN), plus you need either a BIS/BES data plan.

What was happening in that video is this. BBM can add SMS messages into BBM if you like. That's all. No voodoo.

+1

This is true. Dude in the video is an idiot.
LOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
idiot was sending a text message, it shouldn't say iPhone"(mobile)" at the top, that means he was sending a message to a phone#, and also there shouldn't be a character limit, like where it shows the number 160 and was counting down when he was typing, that's only for text messages.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
It's BS...

NOTORIOUS VR is correct,,

the guy was demo-ing a text message from iPhone and received under BB BBM...furthermore it goes against the data plan..

something like Ping Chat..
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999 View Post
Just use whatsapp
Everyone use it
Gay...
Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
twboy1999
5th Gear Member

so what is good?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
dave850
1st Gear Newbie

Whats App is awesome i use that to chat with all my blackberry buddies on my iphone
dave850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

all of these other apps like Kik and Whatsapp requires all parties to have the app installed on their phone to work. i don't see them as true replacements for BBM. I can't imagine asking my business contacts to install an app. on their phone so I can IM them. It's a bit intrusive and some companies lock down their BB users so nothing can be installed on the phones. What then?

I'm with Notorious...

Good on RIM to have an app that is exclusive to themselves to keep the market share. For this very reason I can't see myself moving off BB to another device. BBM is just too useful to give up. Too bad they'll never catch up to Apple in the app space and UI.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave850 View Post
Whats App is awesome i use that to chat with all my blackberry buddies on my iphone
Why not just send an SMS? Having an extra app to send messages doesn't make any sense. SMS/MMS is built into every phone already.

Why everyone wants to copy BBM with a stupid program is beyond me, you never get the same functionality. If you want BBM, get a BB. You can send pics, voice notes, and messages in real time all over the world for free and all totally secure/encrypted.

You just cannot beat a BB when it comes to communication. The phone, txt and email part of the BB cannot be surpassed by any phone out there. Yes it lacks in the app department compared to the eyephone, but it is what it is. It seems that everyone with eyephones just wants to see how many apps they can download because it's cool.

Hell I don't even play the stock games on my BB (or any phone I've had) and have actually removed all but one (brickbreaker).
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Why not just send an SMS? Having an extra app to send messages doesn't make any sense. SMS/MMS is built into every phone already.

Why everyone wants to copy BBM with a stupid program is beyond me, you never get the same functionality. If you want BBM, get a BB. You can send pics, voice notes, and messages in real time all over the world for free and all totally secure/encrypted.

You just cannot beat a BB when it comes to communication. The phone, txt and email part of the BB cannot be surpassed by any phone out there. Yes it lacks in the app department compared to the eyephone, but it is what it is. It seems that everyone with eyephones just wants to see how many apps they can download because it's cool.

Hell I don't even play the stock games on my BB (or any phone I've had) and have actually removed all but one (brickbreaker).
Because not all of us has unlimited txt, and International txting is not cheap.i use wat's up on my N97 to talk to people internationally with iphones,BB, etc..
Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Quote:
Gay...
Agreed. I'd rather just send some text messages instead of installing an app just to communicate with iPhone peeps. The fact that not everyone has this app is a big limitation. Until it becomes preloaded on everyone's phones, for me, there's no need for a dedicated app just to communicate with a handful of iPhone users I know.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: