Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW Club of Canada
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #781
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
So I was at the DDT today with my R Comps. In what.. less than 10 degree weather? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'm f@cked for next Saturday.

Errrr.... maybe time to bring an inverter and a heat gun? LOL. Where them tire warmers at?!
Everyones tires suffer in the colder temperatures, not just yours.
Go drive around just before your session like the F1 drivers do on their formation laps and scrub some heat into the tires
Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #782
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
If we were allowed to I would. Some people got pissy about it in previous years, although I think its a good idea... Almost a safety issue IMO, especially with this late date in the year.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #783
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Cannot wait to see what kinda speeds we hit gunning across those 2 lots, anybody got a speed gun??
Most GPS units have a max speed function. I'm not sure if it would work over such short distances though.
I can't wait for our last event. I didn't get a proper autox fix last time.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:06 AM   #784
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
If we were allowed to I would. Some people got pissy about it in previous years, although I think its a good idea... Almost a safety issue IMO, especially with this late date in the year.
We all have to play by the same rules... Which is no tire warming, you can always get those A comp tires.... Then not worry.

Tires are gonna play a major factor now with the bigger location, maybe John will put in some kinda section outa the start box to help get some heat in the tires, few extra psi will help gettem heated up too, who knows, we might be playing in the snow next week too
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #785
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Not even Autocross spec tires will be warm right away, not in this temperature with the ground being so cold, etc etc. And I don't get what you mean about the tire pressure helping. If its cold, its cold!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #786
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

+1 to warm up area, but not as part of the course. Just an area outside the course

Last edited by Dissembler; 10-31-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Edit: Just read the bottom half of rich's post lol
Dissembler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #787
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
Maybe, considering the size of this venue, a seperate area could be set up for tire warm up. It would be only for this one event to take into consideration the temperature. I think everyone would appreciate being able to go out on warm tires.
THANK YOU! Finally somebody thinking sensibly. Like I said before, at this point it becomes a safety issue IMO, I think we should be allowed to warm tires.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #788
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

When we went to the tire tech meeting the rep said higher pressure will help tires heat up quicker in the wet, should help in the cold too

Warm up area outside of the course would help some more then others, making it unfair, if you feel it's unsafe to run R or A comp tires in the cold run all season or a tire you feel safe with. It's each driver choice as to what tires they run, no one is forcing you to use r comps or tires that need heat to give an advantage.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #789
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Sure higher pressure helps, AT SPEED though, over a certain amount of time. Surely 100+km/h and over say a 2 min lap in the wet is WAAYYY different for tire temp gains than 30-45secs of 20-50km/h speeds.

Haha, I'm gonna laugh when I see majority of everyone on regular Performance street tires sliding around too. It effects everyone Richie, not just us few on track tires.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #790
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I agree it will affect everyone, but a warm up area will advantage some MORE then others and hence is unfair, and that's probley why it's written in the rules.

Put in a peitition for a rule change next year, can't make "special rules" for one event for people who have had an advantage on warm days with their tire selection, I know your gunning and have a chance for the tittle, and I would like to see a non mini win this year, but we can't change the rules to advantage a few people.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #791
craz azn
6th Gear Member

I don't have a chance for the title, that's not why I'm arguing this. I am referring to the fact of the driver talent that we've seen this year that have had some 'excursions' (I'm sorry to bring this up, but its fact and it has to be addressed). Hey if you want to add another to the list this year, then fine. Like I said, it's a safety issue with the higher speeds and lack of awareness.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #792
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Then say "be careful on cold tires". This is racing and if one pushes beyond the limits things happen. We all take the same risks.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #793
craz azn
6th Gear Member

So you are cool with the Trillium club taking another hit? Way to be a team player man, especially considering you know most of how the situation is on the inside, it's already bad enough as it is; I still want a Trillium AutoX series next year. Anywho, I'm done for now. Going out to work on the 2002

Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #794
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
So you are cool with the Trillium club taking another hit? Way to be a team player man, especially considering you know most of how the situation is on the inside, it's already bad enough as it is; I still want a Trillium AutoX series next year. Anywho, I'm done for now. Going out to work on the 2002

I can't beleive your playing the safety card trying to be able to heat up your r comps to have a greater advantage.

We are now renting a lot and they are fully aware of the hazard of the events, don't worry we will be there all next year, and more people will have better tires and cars next year. The level of compition is gonna jump huge
Old 10-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #795
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
I can't beleive your playing the safety card trying to be able to heat up your r comps to have a greater advantage.

We are now renting a lot and they are fully aware of the hazard of the events, don't worry we will be there all next year, and more people will have better tires and cars next year. The level of compition is gonna jump huge
the level is going to jump huge? Then I better not bother coming with my old wreck .
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: