Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-23-2002, 11:50 PM   #1
Dluxazn58
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Dluxazn58
Wiring Subwoofers Saga continues

Hey.. I wasn wondering..
do i HAVE to have DVC subs to beable to wire my subs in a parrallel?

couldnt I just double up the cables on the posts?

Say Wha?
Dluxazn58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:26 PM   #2
M3driver
2nd Gear Member

You need more than one voice coil to run subs in parallel, but not necessarily a DVC sub. 1 DVC sub = 2 voice coils, 2 SVC subs = 2 voice coils.

To run a sub in "parallel", the positive terminal from the amp runs to all the positive terminals on the subs, and the negative terminal from the amp runs to all the negative terminals on the subs. This divides the resistance between the subs.

You can also run the subs in "series" aka "daisy chain" by linking the pos from the amp to the pos on the first sub, and then the neg on that sub to the pos on the next sub, and then the neg on that sub to the neg on the amp. Running in series multiplies the resistance of the subs.

As for resistance, two 4 ohm subs in parallel would create a 2 ohm load, while two 4 ohm subs in series would create an 8 ohm load. The lower the ohm number, the more power the amp can put out.

Let me know what kind of amp you will be running and what subs you will be running and I can let you know the best way to run the subs.

1989 M3 2.5 - 265 hp
1991 318iS - gots rims
M3driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 09:57 PM   #3
Dluxazn58
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Dluxazn58
I'll be running
hifonics: Son of boltar (500watts)
150x2 @ 4ohms
2 Channel amp

2 Kenwood "tornado" style 10 inch subs...
forget the exact code number.. but its something something 2505... the updated version of the more popular blue faced kenwood sub.. which was something something 2503

max rms is 150 @ 4 ohms on the subs

I think I'm gonna go with my basic plan of just wiring it as two speakers.. keeping the 4 ohm impedance..friends with hifnoics amps say they are the best at 4 ohms... but I'm open for ideas...

Say Wha?
Dluxazn58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 10:26 AM   #4
M3driver
2nd Gear Member

If those are the subs I am thinking of, you would probably be better off running them on two different channels like you said. I'm not sure if they could handle the power given out by that amp if you ran them parallel at 2ohms. One thing you might want to look into is getting 2-8ohm subs. That way, you could bridge the amp and run the subs in series. That would give you a 4 ohm load, and you would be getting the most out of your amp.

1989 M3 2.5 - 265 hp
1991 318iS - gots rims
M3driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: