Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
tuan_xi
1st Gear Newbie

Angel eyes stayed on after shut off...for more then 10 secs

hey guys

i just came back from a 30 minute highway drive from welland to st. catharines ( foot on the pedal all the way home), i have myCarr pred. chromiums (ccfl) angel eyes, wired to the ECU with no relay kit, when i turn the car off the angel eyes usually stay on for about 10 seconds..but tonight they stayed on for much longer, i had to turn the car on then off again then waited 10 secs for them to turn off....

how is the ecu able to stay on after the car is turned off?
-residual charge?
-is my alternator over charging?
tuan_xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

There is a powering down sound that comes with them staying on, as soon as it stops, you will notice the AE's shutting off as well. No one really know's what the sound is. It sounds like a small electrical motor shutting down (like a buzzing sound). The Angel eyes are fine, don't worry about it. That is normal after shutdown, mine also does the same. Also, most of the time it does shut down within 10 seconds, but periodically it takes a few minutes for me too. It will shut off eventually.
PS
I washed my car one day, (I have the exact same CCFL's from Mycarr) and got one of the black inverters wet, it fried itself as soon as i turned the ignition over, so only one side works now, just a warning to make sure you hide them really well or water seal them. If you know where to get a new black inverter, let me know.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
fuufuu
1st Gear Newbie

Mine are the same, they turn off once the accessories power turns off. After a 30 min ride they stayed on for 5 mins or so for me. I may be lying but longer you drive the hotter the current on the accessories? So it turns off when it cools? That was my assumption when it happened.
fuufuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

It's normal if you have it powered directly to the ECU box. It happens to me sometimes too. Not a big deal, especially since they doesn't suck enough power to drain the battery.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

CCFL's barely consume any power, it's a high efficient light source, they could be on all night and it wouldn't do anything to a battery., LED's are even better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: