Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #16
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post

Mkgino..do you have American citizenship or something?
No, but my fiancee is American, and her parents live in upstate NY. Im going to try to get US residency if I can. Whenever I buy anything including clothing, electronics, or car related I do all of my ordering from the US and ship it to their house.

I also have a bank of america chequing account. I advise you to drive over and open an account up. When the dollar is close to par I exchange money and put it in that account. That way I can order pretty much anything online. Stuff in the US is cheap as shit, taxes are way lower, and when things go on sale its not like here where you get $5 bucks off, they go on sale for 70-80% off.

Here is a quick comparison. I just got a SD1400 Canon camera. It was at costco for $199 in the US with a free 2GB SD card and a 2 year warranty. Total price with taxes $215

The best price I found here for it was $209, with no SD card and 1 year warranty. Add a 1 year warranty ($25) and add a 2gb SD ($11) card and the price becomes $277.

Dont even get me started on TVs and other electronics. The price difference between goods is at minimum 20-30% lower in the US for the exact same thing. Then when taxes are taken into consideration the difference becomes huge.

Also I never have to claim anything at the border either. Since my fiancee is a US citizen, she is allowed to bring whatever she wants into Canada.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgino View Post
No, but my fiancee is American, and her parents live in upstate NY. Im going to try to get US residency if I can. Whenever I buy anything including clothing, electronics, or car related I do all of my ordering from the US and ship it to their house.

I also have a bank of america chequing account. I advise you to drive over and open an account up. When the dollar is close to par I exchange money and put it in that account. That way I can order pretty much anything online. Stuff in the US is cheap as shit, taxes are way lower, and when things go on sale its not like here where you get $5 bucks off, they go on sale for 70-80% off.

Here is a quick comparison. I just got a SD1400 Canon camera. It was at costco for $199 in the US with a free 2GB SD card and a 2 year warranty. Total price with taxes $215

The best price I found here for it was $209, with no SD card and 1 year warranty. Add a 1 year warranty ($25) and add a 2gb SD ($11) card and the price becomes $277.

Dont even get me started on TVs and other electronics. The price difference between goods is at minimum 20-30% lower in the US for the exact same thing. Then when taxes are taken into consideration the difference becomes huge.

Also I never have to claim anything at the border either. Since my fiancee is a US citizen, she is allowed to bring whatever she wants into Canada.

Funny enough I'm about to order a shifter linkage from pelican parts and can't figure out a way to avoid this "canadian problem"

you wanna help me out ..

Actually this is how I got my ACS front bumper a few years back from ebay. I realized the company only shipped in the US and had very low stock on the bumper. I made a thread on bimmerforums and some guy who lived in upstate ny kept it for me..I am forever thankful that a stranger could not only hold a large item but invite me to his house and even offer food, not to mention the whole day helping me mount the bumper cover.

I made a weekend out of it, had a great time and saved a shitload. Customs didnt look at me twice..

ah well. its one of the reasons I like americans so much more than canadians. They are more tight knit and proud to offer help. Canadians are proud of their snow and taxes, I guess.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 10-20-2010 at 05:31 PM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

True that. Everyone on the American boards help each other out. Not here.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: