Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
phatj
1st Gear Newbie

Rear Rotor Help

Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I just picked up an '02 330Ci about a week ago and decided to replace the old, rotting rotors with some new hotness.

Replacement has been going well until the rear driver side. I've got the caliper out of the way and the rotor loose off the hub (i.e. it spins freely), but it refuses to come off. I can pull it off maybe 4-5mm, but it feels as if there's a spring pulling the rotor back into place.

The parking brake is off, and I don't think that there's any mechanism other than the rotor locating pin to keep the rotor on the hub.

At best, I can only think that the parking brake is still partially engaged, but I can't locate the adjustment sprocket for the life of me! Are there any tricks to doing so, or is it supposed to be in a certain position? I can locate the springs of the parking brake, but don't see any signs of the sprocket. There are years and years of grime to contend with, however.

If I just get ignorant with the rotor and rip it out, am I apt to damage the parking brake? Well, assuming that the parking brake is the culprit.

TIA
phatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

Not sure about BMW's but do they have the E-brake shoes built into the inside of the rotor's? If so there is a rubber grommet that cover's the adjustment gear and you can spin the gear to back off the e-brake shoes. Other wise get a nice hammer and strike it, it might be rust build up.
sol_searchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
phatj
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the reply, sol, and you are correct in that the e-brake is built into the rear rotors.

I've also tried beating it with a deadblow hammer but it seems to be free of any rust that's sticking to it.

As an update, I did find the adjustment gear and loosened the e-brake as far as it would turn. I've got ~4mm of clearance between the inside of the rotor and what I think is the e-brake pad. I'm able to ease the right side of the rotor a bit further now until it gets caught by the left side. I'll take some pics tomorrow so it's a bit more clear.

For some reason, it feels as if the rotor is somehow tangled up with the left side of the e-brake . When I pull on the rotor to come off, I hear a spring being stretched.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

you can put a screw driver inside and push the assembly to the right a bit, but try spinning the gear the other way when you completely back off it off you should be able to slide the rotor right off. Another thing it could be is a seized e-brake cable not fully disengaging. BTW I hate the inner shoe e-brake system drive's me crazy lol
Old 10-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
phatj
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks bro, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I feel ya on the e-brake man, it is maddening. The more I do routine maintenance on the car though, the more I see that the previous owners neglected the thing, haha.

I'll let ya know how it goes.

Cheers.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

Brake's are easy as long as you do everything proper. While doing the brakes I hope you really cleaned out the slide's/ lubbed slider's/ pin's and scuffed the pad's / rotor's! you'll also have to re-adjust the rear e-brake, generally you tighten the inner shoes until the rotor stop's spinning, then back it off by 3 click's. good luck!

To check the cable just push it back and forth (while disengaged) see if it's firm or has slack. I also hope you took the set screw's off the rotor lol

Tags
rotors replacement brakes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: