Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #46
KINKY
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
Probably because it looks like most of you e90 owners over there act like flies around cr@p. I see how they all stick together at the meets, and arrive/leave at the same time. And all they think of is JB and other piggybacks. I can't post there about my own product and am not going to look into being a sponsor unless I at least have a feeling that there is some return on the sponsorship fees. How would you hear about me unless someone there actually had me re-flash their car? I've done many FI cars in the last few months and those people are very happy with the results. And what do you mean by a "so called tune"?

It seems quite clear that the main reason you post here is to promote the JB.
From the way you talk on maxbimmer, I don’t want to be hanging around you either; I’ll take my business elsewhere. First you are assuming shit that I am advertising JB when I actually have Procede V4. Next you get all antsy whenever I mention a piggyback tune like the previous thread in the E90 section.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...9&postcount=13 I was just showing the OP some options/choices he could look at, majority of the e90post guys are running it and so far we have had no problems with the dealership.

It also seems like you have some issues with E90 drivers showing up at a meet and arriving/leaving at the same time. What’s wrong with that? If you got a problem then say it in our face. The last time I went to a meet with older cars, there were plenty of reckless drivers who would cut each other off. I forgot if it was the midnight cruise or C7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport View Post
I wouldnt say that really...

However it is true that what your trying to say, I guess you can call it "jumpin on the bandwagon". Most n54 clients do strongly believe in JB products + AR combination. When you get downpipes, intercooler, and have a flash for a "stage 1" you have to re-flash. The piggy backs allow user switching between maps, even for the NA E90s.
+1 Procede v4 offers autotuning, which was one major thing that convinced me to get it over the GIAC flash. I bought an AA intercooler and some raceland downpipes, I wanted to get the most out of it so I went with whater piggyback that could offer me the most cost effective way. I'm not going to pay each time to get a different "stage" flash. Jon know's what hes talking about, MarkD seems like you need to do more research on the stuff that your competitors offer.

noid, if you want more information on my friend's 323i just drop him a pm on e90post. He will be more than happy to help you, I told him about someone from maxbimmer wanting to mod their 323i.

Last edited by KINKY; 10-04-2010 at 11:23 PM.
KINKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #47
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
So whats the catch?
ru4real?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #48
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

FYI, the E90 NA BMS Powerbox is sold by us for under 400 installed has user switchable maps and can be removed in under an hour. It has map programming and throttle programming (both can be used or 1 at a time).

AA AP2 is now being used on our 135 and also allows pedal map switching. Our old active processor led us to 400+whp pump gas on a dynapak, now adding meth injection plus the AP2 with new programs we are hoping for more. We also ran the car on race gas and put mid 400s RWHP. Dynos to prove (even a video!).

AP1

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #49
Mike07335i
1st Gear Newbie

A flash is not invisible as the code in the ECU is different. If BMW wanted to interrogate the ECU it would be VERY clear it has been tuned. Flashes have advantages but warranty invisibility is not one of them.

The other drawback of a flash is most can't be turned off so any test drive by a field tech would let the cat out of the bag. As Jon mentioned above the PBX can be removed for serious warranty work or just tuned off (100% stock programming).

Mike
Mike07335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #50
MarkD
Banned

If anyone has one of my flashes in an E9x and wants to take it in for service, I'll revert the ECU to stock and re-flash it after the service.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #51
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

LMAO... I find it hilarious that BMW guys are so hung up on shitty piggyback boxes because most BMW tuners are too lazy to properly offer a TRUE ECU flash. All it is, is that JB + Procede don't have the proper knowledge to tune the stock ECU, and in their greed they release a box that intercepts signals that tricks the ECU into doing things it really shouldn't. All because of $$$, not because of advancing the platform.

Now here you have Mark offering a true tune/flash that doesn't fake signals going to the ECU, and people are getting all defensive.

Get it through your heads, Piggybacks are JUNK! They always have been, and always will be the worst case tuning solution for modern day EFI cars.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 10-08-2010 at 10:13 AM.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #52
grapebimmer
Keepin' it low key

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
LMAO... I find it hilarious that BMW guys are so hung up on shitty piggyback boxes because most BMW tuners are too lazy to properly offer a TRUE ECU flash. All it is, is that JB + Procede don't have the proper knowledge to tune the stock ECU, and in their greed they release a box that intercepts signals that tricks the ECU into doing things it really shouldn't. All because of $$$, not because of advancing the platform.

Now here you have Mark offering a true tune/flash that doesn't fake signals going to the ECU, and people are getting all defensive.

Get it through your heads, Piggybacks are JUNK! They always have been, and always will be the worst case tuning solution for modern day EFI cars.
Damn RIGHT you IS!!

This discussion has become pretty funny... IMHO Mark's flashes are world renowned and we're lucky enough to have him in our own backyard (well, the Danforth - souvlaki time).

2007 e90 328i Monaco Blue
aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Pro 5R CAI
RIP '84 e30 325e, '87 e30 325e, '96 e36 328i and 2000 e46 323i
grapebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #53
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post

Thanks Notorious, it always sounds better if it's not me speaking and promoting my own products and you explained it exactly as I would.

And you should go over to e90 post and see Shiv and Mike "discussing" their products... I guess they will release the next firmware version any day now...

Someone is currently driving around in a 335 6MT and loving it, people will probably see a review from him in a few weeks.

And the 335iS with 7 speed DCT had crowds gathering everywhere it went at the Targa Newfoundland, the owner told me this week that people were asking what was done to it. It came in third, of course the drivers and navigator take the credit there but the software re-flash didn't let them down either and that is a tougher course than most of these guys that just go to the dyno to see if they have 378 or 383 hp.

MarkD
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #54
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

No problem Mark... sometimes people just open their mouth without thinking, seems to be the 335's with their large power potential attracts many mindless owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapebimmer View Post
This discussion has become pretty funny... IMHO Mark's flashes are world renowned and we're lucky enough to have him in our own backyard (well, the Danforth - souvlaki time).
I too think it's hilarious that some douchbag 335i driver thinks he knows everything about BMW's.

MarkD/EAT have been around for a very, very long time and is very well known around the world for ECU upgrades on BMW's.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #55
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

There is flashes available from AA, Dinan, and Mark D...

The main reason why the piggyback is popular is cost effectiveness. I am not saying anything about MarkD's tune so lets avoid a huge flame war. The point is convenience...lets look at this in terms of Pro's and Cons.

Piggyback Unit

Pros:

User switchable maps
Maps made for many different setups
Removable in under an hour

Cons:
Not 'true' tuning from within the ECU program

ECU flash (Any company)

Pros:
Not externally detectable
Safe tune, done through internal programming

Cons:

You have to meet your tuner to revert to and from software (MAJOR convenience issue esp in emergency situations as we know even the local tuners sometimes aren't the easiest to get a hold of)
Tuned for one setup (can be costly if you do your mods in stages as I have many complaints of people who bought Dinan flashes)
Has to be installed by a tuner, cannot be done on your own

At the same time, you have to understand both products are great and cater to different types of clients, whether it is the individual looking for a good increase in power with stock like drive ability (our 135 is smooth as hell look at the graph) or the "flies around crap" crowd who are looking for a solution based on multiple needs.

I have yet to see an N54 car pushing more than 450rwhp on pump or race with an ECU tune. However, I may have missed something. Yes there are risks when using the piggy back units opposed to the ECU flashes but then again, this goes for anything - you mod your car with knowledge of what your getting int. You cant say an ECU tune capable of pushing that power will be safer because from what I've seen the engine wont take that for long. Ive seen N54 internals compared to others, and seen the results of high HP outputs run for a long time. On top of it, how much can those turbos actually push and handle for a long time? There's been many replacements already (we've done a few).

In conclusion, the ECU tunes are great and I also believe in ECU tuning - however the piggyback is the most cost effective solution for those seeking a solution that can cater to many needs, opposed to one.

On a side note, JB seems to be the most popular yes...however, one of the longest BMW tuner in this market is AA and they do have flashes for the ECU for a long time. However, at prices of $800+ for a flash PLUS a fee for each re-flash...it just doesnt make sense when you can buy all the tunes you can need for the same, if not less.

It all boils down to the customers needs, driving differences? Yes the ECU tune may control the boost smoother but in all reality it is not something most people notice. They AA tunes are done IN HOUSE and have been compared back to back with minimal differences the average user wouldn't notice.

Final statement: I am not saying anything about competitors, but some of you guys are clearly missing the point these companies are basing their products of.

Sorry guys not trying to make a speech but...I just like to be clear for all the people who don't know whats going on.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 10-08-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #56
davericher20
black and blue

OP sell your 323 and get a 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #57
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I find it funny talking about cost effectiveness in cars owned by guys who on other board have threads showing off their high end wrist watches and home theatres worth as much as there cars!! 99% of newer BMW owners own them for status and not much more, and will buy something based on cost just to say they have modded.

Max may be home to the 1% that actually own their new bmws for the shear pleasure of driving.

I don't want to get to into the whole one is better then the other, but when nodding a 40 to 80 grand car, that they will drop 5000 in rims to look good, what's the point of cheaping out when it comes to ecu tuning? Guess it image and bragging over bubble tea not much more.

And the coment on people driving older bmws being reckless, it the driver not the car, an asshole in an e30 is the same asshole in an e90!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #58
grapebimmer
Keepin' it low key

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
I find it funny talking about cost effectiveness in cars owned by guys who on other board have threads showing off their high end wrist watches and home theatres worth as much as there cars!! 99% of newer BMW owners own them for status and not much more, and will buy something based on cost just to say they have modded.

Max may be home to the 1% that actually own their new bmws for the shear pleasure of driving.

I don't want to get to into the whole one is better then the other, but when nodding a 40 to 80 grand car, that they will drop 5000 in rims to look good, what's the point of cheaping out when it comes to ecu tuning? Guess it image and bragging over bubble tea not much more.

And the coment on people driving older bmws being reckless, it the driver not the car, an asshole in an e30 is the same asshole in an e90!
Yup; as I would like to believe - I drive, because I like to drive... BMW just happens to be my muse... I wish for more, but alas... I can't afford it I am satisfied with the feel... yes, there will always be faster and better rides than my own... but hey... what'd ya gonna do

2007 e90 328i Monaco Blue
aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Pro 5R CAI
RIP '84 e30 325e, '87 e30 325e, '96 e36 328i and 2000 e46 323i
grapebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #59
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post

Weren't you selling an SSK kit that is more affordable than competition but almost does the same job? The same reason people bought the SSK from you to get near the same results as a UUC shifter kit/Rogue shifter kit/AA shifter kit is the same reason why people who have the newer BMW's buy the piggy back units. I felt your SSK, does the job...but in my opinion the more expensive products have some advantages (except here the cheaper one has more advantages)...however, if you dont want to spend more than you have to get a similar result - why?

There are some who bought yours, and some who bought the UUC EVO 3 or the AA SSK, or Rogue however - however, both are a great upgrade over stock. Not putting you or your product down...but seriously, you see my point?

I dont know why people get so hung over the whole crowd thing. It doesn't make you look much more mature anyways...but hey to each their own right.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #60
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport View Post
Weren't you selling an SSK kit that is more affordable than competition but almost does the same job? The same reason people bought the SSK from you to get near the same results as a UUC shifter kit/Rogue shifter kit/AA shifter kit is the same reason why people who have the newer BMW's buy the piggy back units. I felt your SSK, does the job...but in my opinion the more expensive products have some advantages (except here the cheaper one has more advantages)...however, if you dont want to spend more than you have to get a similar result - why?

There are some who bought yours, and some who bought the UUC EVO 3 or the AA SSK, or Rogue however - however, both are a great upgrade over stock. Not putting you or your product down...but seriously, you see my point?

I dont know why people get so hung over the whole crowd thing. It doesn't make you look much more mature anyways...but hey to each their own right.
When I first got the kits in, the feed back was I should be charging more, but I decided not to, I have never compaired it to anything else on the market, people who have installed it have, and received many reveiws that it's shorter and nicer then other units. I decided to keep the price where it is because it's made for cars up to the e46, cars going for 5 to 20 grand where it's around the same price as z4 shifter change. It's been used for heavy track and autocross use and never failed. I may have sold more if it was more expensive, I'm sure many buy the others cause of brand name over mine, I go by reputation and word of mouth, that's it.

I never said one of the tunning options was better then the other, nor anything about service at a shop, I'm happy to see customers make options and have so many great shops and services in southren Ontario.

I wasn't so much comenting on what u said but some of the other posts.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: