Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #31
MarkD
Banned
 
MarkD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In Your DME!
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Mark, I think what he means is he doesnt want to just take your word for it, because he hasnt heard of your e90 flashes.

Can you answer why your flash only gives a slight gain while other tuning companies flash can produce 233hp and 206 tq? Can you recreate such numbers?
If it is true that the 323i has the 3 stage intake (I have not seen one so assumed it did not) and if it has software that allows control of the intake, than yes I can also get similar numbers out of it. Until I see one and read it, I'll never know. So I'll offer the first e90 323i that comes in so I can read it a special $400 price, just so I can determine if the ECU can control the intake. And for $500 I'll also dyno it at TAG Racecraft before and after it is tuned. The 7 to 8% that I quote for normally aspirated BMW motors made after 1999 is typical of what can easily be achieved, but there are always exceptions.

Last edited by MarkD; 10-04-2010 at 05:06 PM.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #32
noid
5th Gear Member
 
noid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Credit (Mississauga) Ontario
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
If it is true that the 323i has the 3 stage intake (I have not seen one so assumed it did not) and if it has software that allows control of the intake, than yes I can also get similar numbers out of it. Until I see one and read it, I'll never know. So I'll offer the first e90 323i that comes in so I can read it a special $400 price, just so I can determine if the ECU can control the intake. And for $500 I'll also dyno it at TAG Racecraft before and after it is tuned. The 7 to 8% that I quote for normally aspirated BMW motors made after 1999 is typical of what can easily be achieved, but there are always exceptions.
How would this effect warranty? I have a certified pre owned 2007 that still is under warranty for another 3 and some years. Its also used as a family car, so how would gas mileage be effected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
Hmm I don't think so. The economy made their prices go down a lot. Even the E90 328i/330i are not that pricey as our E36/E46 in their days when the economy was doing much better. Than again, there is a resale issue. Many will pitch in more and not worry about swap nightmares. So when you take it all into account, I agree with those who go for top of the line or the M league.
Its hardly a nightmare when your paying a shop to do it for you, haha. Some people would like something unique/more powerful for the same price, some like the factory freshness of a 330i/335i/m3. I dont think one is better then the other, to each his own. As mark said there are plenty of reasons why one would own a 323i.
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #33
MarkD
Banned
 
MarkD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In Your DME!
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
How would this effect warranty? I have a certified pre owned 2007 that still is under warranty for another 3 and some years. Its also used as a family car, so how would gas mileage be effected?
They won't even detect that you have performance software in there. My tools use exactly the same algorithms to re-calculate the Checksums that BMW uses and even modifies empty data regions to end up with the same final CS as the original one. And there is pretty much zero chance of a failure due to performance software on a NA motor, as long as it's tuned properly. I've done a 2006 330 for someone who is a member here but found me via another route and he's very happy with his tune. Gas mileage should be better, since ignition timing is slightly advanced. Most cars see at least a 5% improvement in fuel consumption.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #34
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor
 
Jon@Bimmersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 13,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
Probably because it looks like most of you e90 owners over there act like flies around cr@p. I see how they all stick together at the meets, and arrive/leave at the same time. And all they think of is JB and other piggybacks. I can't post there about my own product and am not going to look into being a sponsor unless I at least have a feeling that there is some return on the sponsorship fees. How would you hear about me unless someone there actually had me re-flash their car? I've done many FI cars in the last few months and those people are very happy with the results. And what do you mean by a "so called tune"?

It seems quite clear that the main reason you post here is to promote the JB.
I wouldnt say that really...

However it is true that what your trying to say, I guess you can call it "jumpin on the bandwagon". Most n54 clients do strongly believe in JB products + AR combination. When you get downpipes, intercooler, and have a flash for a "stage 1" you have to re-flash. The piggy backs allow user switching between maps, even for the NA E90s.
__________________

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #35
noid
5th Gear Member
 
noid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Credit (Mississauga) Ontario
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
They won't even detect that you have performance software in there. My tools use exactly the same algorithms to re-calculate the Checksums that BMW uses and even modifies empty data regions to end up with the same final CS as the original one. And there is pretty much zero chance of a failure due to performance software on a NA motor, as long as it's tuned properly. I've done a 2006 330 for someone who is a member here but found me via another route and he's very happy with his tune. Gas mileage should be better, since ignition timing is slightly advanced. Most cars see at least a 5% improvement in fuel consumption.
So whats the catch?
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #36
harman_rai
325Xi Executive Pkg
 
harman_rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapebimmer View Post
I wholly recommend the MarkD tuned ECU!
+1, you will love the ecu upgrade
harman_rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #37
MarkD
Banned
 
MarkD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In Your DME!
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
So whats the catch?
I'm not sure what you mean, please elaborate. No catch, just come over and spend a few $ and you get some extra ponies.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #38
noid
5th Gear Member
 
noid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Credit (Mississauga) Ontario
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, please elaborate. No catch, just come over and spend a few $ and you get some extra ponies.
Well currently $400 seems steep for being a guinea pig maybe if it was around the price of an e30 chip.
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #39
grapebimmer
Keepin' it low key
 
grapebimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Well currently $400 seems steep for being a guinea pig maybe if it was around the price of an e30 chip.
Noid,

Mark's been in business for at least 15-years, mapping, chipping and doing custom work for racing and street, So, if you think he's just going to charge for 'testing' on clients cars, you are insane! Mark has a great reputation and I don't think he's one to start ripping people off. Yes, I got Mark'd on my 323i AND I LOVE IT! Best bang for the buck. PERIOD. Don't go by my word, search the inter-wide-webisphere, go, do it...

Such a simple thing to do, such a simple thing to un-do. Why is everyone bitchin'? Why?
__________________
Jb


2007 e90 328i Monaco Blue
aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Pro 5R CAI
RIP '84 e30 325e, '87 e30 325e, '96 e36 328i and 2000 e46 323i
grapebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #40
noid
5th Gear Member
 
noid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Credit (Mississauga) Ontario
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapebimmer View Post
Noid,

Mark's been in business for at least 15-years, mapping, chipping and doing custom work for racing and street, So, if you think he's just going to charge for 'testing' on clients cars, you are insane! Mark has a great reputation and I don't think he's one to start ripping people off. Yes, I got Mark'd on my 323i AND I LOVE IT! Best bang for the buck. PERIOD. Don't go by my word, search the inter-wide-webisphere, go, do it...

Such a simple thing to do, such a simple thing to un-do. Why is everyone bitchin'? Why?
Oh im not doubting his skills, I have known about him for years. I also hear good things.

But considering i just bought the 323i+ paid just under a grand for underbody, rust proofing, 3m film and paint protection, i dont think i want to spend an additional 500 bucks (would need dyno) for a tune. Might do it in the future but would be a hell of alot more temping for $230 like the e30 chip.
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #41
MarkD
Banned
 
MarkD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In Your DME!
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Oh im not doubting his skills, I have known about him for years. I also hear good things.

But considering i just bought the 323i+ paid just under a grand for underbody, rust proofing, 3m film and paint protection, i dont think i want to spend an additional 500 bucks (would need dyno) for a tune. Might do it in the future but would be a hell of alot more temping for $230 like the e30 chip.

It will never happen for $230, are you aware of how much just the tools cost to read and write e90's? And the tools to edit the files once you even know what to edit?

And I don't need to put it on a dyno to tune it as I'd use maps similar to the 325i, and make mods to those, plus you can get almost to the peak attainable torque withhout dyno tuning, that only gets you the little bit extra which is only required for the racetrack. I mentioned the dyno only to show the before and after results, I did not mention "dyno tuned".

You are asking about an extra 30 hp and hope to get it for $230, it just isn't feasible.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #42
MarkD
Banned
 
MarkD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In Your DME!
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapebimmer View Post
Noid,

Mark's been in business for at least 15-years, mapping, chipping and doing custom work for racing and street, So, if you think he's just going to charge for 'testing' on clients cars, you are insane! Mark has a great reputation and I don't think he's one to start ripping people off. Yes, I got Mark'd on my 323i AND I LOVE IT! Best bang for the buck. PERIOD. Don't go by my word, search the inter-wide-webisphere, go, do it...

Such a simple thing to do, such a simple thing to un-do. Why is everyone bitchin'? Why?
Thanks Jb, actually I started disassembling the Motronic files around 1987 but didn't actaully make any decent chips till around 1988. So about 22 years ago.

They'd like it alot more if it came from somewhere far away, like China.
Each day I have people emailing and ordering from Finland, Greece, Australia, or off a ship in Europe for an s50b32 tune (all this happenned today) but try selling here and I'd rather just go drink some beer.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #43
noid
5th Gear Member
 
noid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Credit (Mississauga) Ontario
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
It will never happen for $230, are you aware of how much just the tools cost to read and write e90's? And the tools to edit the files once you even know what to edit?

And I don't need to put it on a dyno to tune it as I'd use maps similar to the 325i, and make mods to those, plus you can get almost to the peak attainable torque withhout dyno tuning, that only gets you the little bit extra which is only required for the racetrack. I mentioned the dyno only to show the before and after results, I did not mention "dyno tuned".

You are asking about an extra 30 hp and hope to get it for $230, it just isn't feasible.
I understand, business is business. As I said, if i was going to do it I would want dyno sheets to show for, but thats my problem. Maybe in the future (after the shock of spending so much money already on the car goes away) I will get it done.
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #44
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Location
Posts: 5,218
Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
How would this effect warranty? I have a certified pre owned 2007 that still is under warranty for another 3 and some years. Its also used as a family car, so how would gas mileage be effected?


Its hardly a nightmare when your paying a shop to do it for you, haha. Some people would like something unique/more powerful for the same price, some like the factory freshness of a 330i/335i/m3. I dont think one is better then the other, to each his own. As mark said there are plenty of reasons why one would own a 323i.

I was reffering to a potential buyer looking to purchase a stock 328i/330i not sawpped 323i/beafy motor. It would be a nightmare for a buyer, not you. Better pay more and sleep well.
__________________
-2013 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
-2006 Bianchi Reparto Corse - Handmade in Italy (Does your bike need a pro-tune up? PM ME)
-1991 BMW 318i (SOLD)
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #45
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK
 
dble Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Your 1500 e30 doesn't equate to a similar condition m3 for 20k+; if you had a minty 5000-6000 e30 then maybe.

Secondly the 335i is more then 20k+taxes then a 323i. Thus your argument is invalid.

If you dont like the m3 so much there was also the hartge, alpina, and ac schnitzer you could have very easily gotten as well.

Case reopened.
How old are you? You are completely missing the point...completely. 1st, my e30 would not be sold for less than $4g's, however, I did pick it up for $1500, but that's consequential. You keep bringing up the 335 to counter my arguments and then say "but some people don't want F/I" I said, 330 or 335. If you don't want FI then the 330 available in 2006 and readily available with 255 hp on tap all motor. A quick search on the trader I located over 30 in the GTA for the low 20's and high teens. Same search yielded 30-50 323's with similar mileage and so on for the high teens to mid 20's. SO SAME BASIC PRICE BUT ONE YEAR OLDER! Don't tell me it's price. A couple of g's this way or that way. The example you give of the e30 (although not comparable is 4 times the cost????? how is that case reopened?)

My point to the OP was to spend a couple of grand extra, and by the top (non M model (for the picky keyboard warrior)) and save the heartache, cost, and possible voiding of the warranty, not to mention all of the bolt ons will not make a 323 as powerful as a 330 unless you're getting into serious head work which again I just wouldn't understand because at that point you'd be into 335 money????

A brief history of myself to help you understand where I'm coming from. I'm obviously a track dog. My first track bitch was a mkII vw GTI. I spent countless thousands on go faster bits, and was so chuffed with myself do 1:50's at Mosport GP track. To my credit many thought a MKII with a 16 valve shouldn't be able to go that quickly. Then I bought my first Bimmer, '98 328is, my first lap out on street tires no less and stock was 1:46. I sold the GTI the next week. Moral of the story, if you want to go faster.....buy a faster car out of the box and save!!!!
__________________

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.