Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Rossei
1st Gear Newbie

Unhappy 318i Steering Noise

Hi,

I am a newbie in this forum though I own a 318i 1995 for last 2 years. It's a 4-door auto with a high mileage of 256K. Recently, I had an accident of running over a parking lot slab. It broke my engine mount and I replaced it. After a while, the steering started making noise as if it got stuck. So, I checked my power steering reservoir and it was quarter empty. My guarage found some leak (I'm not sure) with the power steering pump and told me to replace it. So, I did. The steering still makes a whinning noise and I see bubbles in the reservoir.

Now, as the weather getting cold and I need to go to office early morning, I get really loud noise from the steering. It fades away later the day. What's causing this? Is it the alternator/ timing belt/chain or something else? I have a brand new battery from CAA. And today, I also heard a weird sound while I was accelerating, it never happened before.

I need some idea before I show my car to the same mechanic. I am new to Sarnia and don't know that many guarage here. My car runs good, didn't have these many problems even 2 months ago.

Thanks.
Rossei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
325isdan
5th Gear Member

IF there are bubbles I'm pretty sure that means you are getting air into the system.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Rossei
1st Gear Newbie

Hey 325isdan,
Thanks for the reply.

I did not check the bubbles regularly. Does an air into the system means a leak in the pump or the hose that connects the reservoir to the pump? I checked with my mechanic and he did not find any problems with the alternator/belts yesterday.

Since the moaning sound is high in the morning, he is going to diagnosis today again. He though said that it might be the shaft.
Rossei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Ray Cism
1st Gear Newbie

If you hit a parking curb going forward then you could have damaged the power steering rack.

Other than that I'm not sure what it could be. You'll need someone to take a close look at the rack and possibly the lower belt pulleys. It's hard to say what it could be without actually hearing the noise it's making.

You'll also have to find the point of impact on the engine if it broke your engine mount. It must have got hit pretty hard to break the mount.

Last edited by Ray Cism; 09-22-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Ray Cism is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: