Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Question for the MS guys...

When you installed a variable TPS (assuming that you did) I know that on the Motronic connector there is a TPS SIG and a TPS VREF. What did you connect the TPS VREF to? 12V, 5V, or 0V?

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 09-01-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

I'm not sure of the 'labels' but 5V for sure. One pin goes to ground and the last goes to MS as the signal. MS has a 5v output pin for this very purpose, so if the MS is wired right there are no changes needed to the TPS end.

Mine ended up being "backwards" (WOT is a low number, etc) but it works fine that way. TS gives you a warning, you hit ok, and go on.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
I'm not sure of the 'labels' but 5V for sure. One pin goes to ground and the last goes to MS as the signal. MS has a 5v output pin for this very purpose, so if the MS is wired right there are no changes needed to the TPS end.

Mine ended up being "backwards" (WOT is a low number, etc) but it works fine that way. TS gives you a warning, you hit ok, and go on.
I was referring from the adapter board to the MS, not the TPS end. So I know that pin 52 (TPS SIG) on the motronic needs to be jumpered to the TPS pin on the MS. I was just wondering where the jumper from pin 53 (TPS VREF) needed to go to. Now I know that it needs to go to the 5V pin.

Thanks.

Another question..
The install guide that the DIYPNP guys put together lists that pins 2, 10, 14, 24, and 26 on the motronic connector need to be grounded. With pins 10, and 26 being specifically sensor grounds. Based on this diagram http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3096/...93076bfc_o.png all of those pins are grounds which is good, however I noticed that pin 19 is also listed as a ground. Any idea on what pin 19 is and if it needs to be grounded or if it's just a redundant ground?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

So I powered up the unit and was able to load the firmware. I went to open a base map that I downloaded from the DIYPNP site in tunerstudio and it told me that it had a different signature (MS2E 2.1.1a vs my MS2E 3.0.3s). I loaded it anyways. Then it asked me if I wanted to send and burn it to the controller. I said ok. It said that there were a few errors, I reviewed the log and there were 5 warnings saying that certain values were ignored because they aren't in the current configuration.

Is that something I should expect since the file signatures were different?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #20
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
thats werid, usually with tunerstudio when it senses a different signature you get prompted to load the .ini file for w/e firmware it doesn't recgonize and it should iron things out and get the tune working with the firmware thats loaded on MS.

idk maybe its different with the pnp?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #21
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

MS is really finicky for stuff like this. Do this:

- start a new project in TS called 2.1.1DIYTune, select 2.1.1 from the ECU list
- load the DIY tune in with no errors (if you get errors, start over, select the right ini)
- open ANOTHER window of TS
- start a new project called 3.0.3uLive
- reburn the 3.0.3u firmware
- open the 3.0.3live and connect to the MS unit. should have no conflict

Now, manually go from the 2.1.1 TS window to the 3.0.3u TS window, copying any setting you can. You now have a stable 3.0.3u base tune.

The alternative is to load the 2.1.1 firmware. Loading MSQ with 3.0.3 firmware may lead to table corruption (ask me how I know) and this is the ONLY truly safe way to do it.

You can export and import the VE, Spark and AFR tables so you really only have a few screens; its not that bad.

I'd do this over running 2.1.1 anyday, as 3.0.3u has quite a few fixes in place.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

So what happens if you hit a value that's outside of one of the tables? So say you hit an intake pressure greater than the highest value in the AFR target table... for the rpm that the car is at will the MS just use the value in the top row corresponding to that rpm?

The reason I ask is that once in boost a target afr of somewhere in the low 12's is typically acceptable for moderate levels of boost (i.e. 8-10psi). So if MS is just going to use the value along the top row when manifold pressure goes above the highest value on the y-axis I figure why not just have the max pressure of the y-axis on the target AFR table 100kpa and have values somewhere between 12 and 13 along the top row. That way I don't need to mess with dual tables and I can get better resolution in the low end and cruising areas.

So is that how MS handles values outside of the tables?
If not I'll come up with a proper table
Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #23
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
So what happens if you hit a value that's outside of one of the tables? So say you hit an intake pressure greater than the highest value in the AFR target table... for the rpm that the car is at will the MS just use the value in the top row corresponding to that rpm?

The reason I ask is that once in boost a target afr of somewhere in the low 12's is typically acceptable for moderate levels of boost (i.e. 8-10psi). So if MS is just going to use the value along the top row when manifold pressure goes above the highest value on the y-axis I figure why not just have the max pressure of the y-axis on the target AFR table 100kpa and have values somewhere between 12 and 13 along the top row. That way I don't need to mess with dual tables and I can get better resolution in the low end and cruising areas.

So is that how MS handles values outside of the tables?
If not I'll come up with a proper table

If I understand what you're asking then yes it will use the last highest value. ex. along the whole 100kpa row your target afr is 13.0:1 AFR then at 110kpa then MS would "assume" that same target for 110kpa.

I wouldn't recommend doing that though, I'd put equal priortity into crusing cells/medium load cells/boost cells. Besides most of your cells down below 100kpa will be either +/- stoich so theres no need for max resolution down there.

Doesn't the base map come with a AFR table already?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #24
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
If I understand what you're asking then yes it will use the last highest value. ex. along the whole 100kpa row your target afr is 13.0:1 AFR then at 110kpa then MS would "assume" that same target for 110kpa.

I wouldn't recommend doing that though, I'd put equal priortity into crusing cells/medium load cells/boost cells. Besides most of your cells down below 100kpa will be either +/- stoich so theres no need for max resolution down there.

Doesn't the base map come with a AFR table already?
It comes with an afr table that ends at 100kpa (base map for N/A car). However I guess I need to redo the table so it goes up to 200kpa. I'll post the tables up after I redo the afr table and maybe you and everlast can chime in and give me your opinions.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #25
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
It comes with an afr table that ends at 100kpa (base map for N/A car). However I guess I need to redo the table so it goes up to 200kpa. I'll post the tables up after I redo the afr table and maybe you and everlast can chime in and give me your opinions.
Hey I just downloaded the basemaps, theres one for a turbo 325 w/42lb injectors. Just re-calculate the req-fuel and it should get your car running enough to tune it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #26
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Hey I just downloaded the basemaps, theres one for a turbo 325 w/42lb injectors. Just re-calculate the req-fuel and it should get your car running enough to tune it.
Yeah, I had exported the tables from that tune and imported them into mine. I just went back and looked at them now, I guess I forgot the AFR table. That saves me some time
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #27
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

So it looks like I won't have my car running next week. I need some silicone reducing elbows and the shop in town wanted around $75 a piece for each coupler. I found equivalent quality couplers online for $20 a piece but shipping is 6-10 days.

$300 and my car will be running next weekend, or $80 and wait an extra week... I'll keep the extra $200 and wait lol.

In the mean time I'll work on all the other small things that need to be completed.

I also have a starting issue that I need to figure out, it's either a weak battery or a sticky solenoid on the starter, I tried hitting it with a hammer and that didn't work, so I'll try jumping the car with a good battery. If that doesn't work I'll pull the starter.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Ok so I finally got those reducing elbows I needed last week so I was able to finish the car up this weekend.

Intercooler fitment. I wanted to put the fan on the engine side as a puller however there wasn't enough clearance as it was too thick, so for now it will have to stay where it is.

Piping coming from the turbo...

Piping going into the throttle body. I still need to get a fitting welded onto the BOV tube so I can run a tube to the ICV

A few more pictures after I moved it out of the garage

I can actually have headlights now , still need to get a new bucket for the left side as well as 2 new highbeams ...

Ok so now who wants to come over and help me getting running off the MS unit I built

I didn't have too much time to play around with the unit it, I plugged it into the car, all the relevant sensors seemed to be reading fine (MAP, TPS, CTS, IAT). I had all the settings set exactly the same as the settings in the tune I downloaded from diyautotune except for the req_fuel. When I turn the key to the run position the fuel pump would come on briefly like it usually does. However when I cranked the car over I'd get nothing, wouldn't sputter or anything, it would just crank over. As I said, I didn't have much time to fiddle around with it so I didn't check to make sure that it was getting spark, but after cranking it over a few times I could smell fuel, so I'm assuming it's getting fuel. Since I'm back at school now, I won't be able to work on the car again until next weekend but if you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Luckily even though there's no more AFM I was able to put the stock DME back in and the car would start up and idle roughly, it would run enough to let me move the car out of the garage lol
Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #29
zerosignal
Got any change?

nice work, im jealou, offtopic question... what colour are the black rims on the black e30?? are those just powder coated black or 'black chrome' or something
zerosignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #30
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosignal View Post
nice work, im jealou, offtopic question... what colour are the black rims on the black e30?? are those just powder coated black or 'black chrome' or something
They're a bronze colour. They came painted that way. I wish they were powder coated as the finish on these rims scratches pretty easily.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...ensrims001.jpg
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...i/DSC01626.jpg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: