Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How would you rate BMW customer service on a scale: 1 is awful and 10 is fantastic
1 to 2 2 6.45%
3 to 4 7 22.58%
5 to 6 4 12.90%
7 to 8 3 9.68%
9 to 10 15 48.39%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
WOW! That is amazing! Kudos to the technician. I can only imagine the tear down to find the source of the noise. creaks and groans are by far the biggest nightmare for any mechanic. how do they even claim the hours hunting for the source of the noise. and they may create other issues when taking things apart.

too bad it had to go to the very top.
ChrisTO - You must be a mechanic for BMW. I'm not sure I explained the situation very well. I took it in FOUR times to the dealer. The first time I drove with them and they heard the noise and where it was located. The took apart the back where the noise was coming from and if you look at the picture in the report (link is there for you to download) they covered up most of the plastic parts that were likely taking part in making the noise. But it is very obvious they didn't cover one of them that kept making the noise. The next THREE times I took it in I asked them to do the same thing and recover and extend the felt to as many contact points as possible. If they had actually taken it apart again they would have seen that one of the parts was not covered. They obviously did not want to take the time to do it so they didn't - they just made excuses. This issue could have been solved over a year ago if they had done what I asked them to do. They were apparently more concerned about non-warranty repairs.

Once i got the President's attention, his mechanic fixed the issue right away. It was not difficult at all. And it seems to be a widespread problem and an issue with the mold that is in all the 3-series sedans for the past few years. People probably just tune out the noise. Trust me, this is going to become a big issue when people understand that it is an issue with a lot of cars and the only reason BMW doesn't want it to get out is that it will cost them a lot of money to repair it.
pissedcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Dissembler - please see my reply above to ChrisTO - it is in response to you as well. They did not put the effort into it that they should have. Part of the cost of buying the car is the service I'm paying for beforehand. They are not repairing anything for free. I paid for it - in advance. Their is no excuse for BMW. I can understand if the technician was not getting paid, but the BMW technicians get paid regardless. It is the dealership that is trying to save money - not the technicians. They're trying to maximize their profit by not doing what they should be doing.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
I'm sure lines like this gives max a bad name.

This guy just FOUGHT his way to the top and WON and you want to insult him?
I hope you probably took his statement out of context.
What he meant was that a brand new car should not have any issues....and if your $50,000 vehicle has any problem whatsoever, it should be fixed immediately.
Davericher20 - Thanks - you're exactly right. Part of the purchase price of the car is the warranty. I paid for the service in advance.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkieMoscow View Post
pissedcustom, do you work for Audi? All of your posts are identical.
PinkieMoscow - No I don't. As my username almost says, I'm a "pissed customer". I'm thinking that maybe I should have bought an Audi instead. I bet their service is a hell of a lot better than BMW's.

Are you the owner of a BMW dealership? or are you the President of BMW Canada, Franz Jung?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc12 View Post
so what was the exact cause of the noise and how did they fix it? which dealer in the end was it that took care of the problem?
abc12 - please read my initial post again - it wasn't a dealer that took care of the problem. It was the mechanic at head office who oversees the dealers' techs. I posted the link for the report explaining what was causing the issue and the fix. here it is again: http://complaint.pro/bLaCBB
Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #21
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
I don't care if your car is $500, $50 000 or $500 000, cars are all pretty much the same. They all work the exact same way, and they are all subject to the same bullshit. Things break, and sometimes problems cannot be fixed immediately. Often times, you'll fix one problem, and 3 days later another problem will creep up. Its not always a misdiagnosis or a screw up.

Don't forget either, you may have paid 50k for your car, but so did the 100 other customers who happen to go the dealer that day.
Dissembler - thanks for your posts, but I really can't agree with you. A car that is $50,000 should not give you as many problems as a car that is $25,000 and service should be better. Taking almost 2 years to fix an issue is not what I would consider to be any where close to "immediately" - I think I was pretty damn patient. And it wasn't a different problem each time - it was the same noise.
I'm not sure what you mean about the other 100 customers who are at the dealer the same day. As I wrote - I booked my appointments around 2 weeks in advance. If BMW can't handle scheduling cars for service, they shouldn't be in business.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM3 View Post
"...I had to resort to contacting the President of BMW to finally fix the annoying noise at the back of my BMW..."

good that you stuck with it 'til the issue was resolved.
from what i can tell, it was a case of two hard plastic pieces rubbing against each other; nothing that a "gasket" or a shim couldn't fix.

the fact that you got sub-standard attitude from BMW Toronto doesn't surprise me. I stopped going there about 6-7 years ago.
EstorilM3 - Thanks - you are right. You can see it in the report they did - can download it at the link in my original post. Very easy fix. But it takes time to take out the rear parcel shelf and if they had to do that for every car with the noise, it would cost them a hell of a lot of money in mechanic hours. As I said - I have driven 4 3-series sedans and they all had the same clicking noise in the same location. I have no doubt it's a serious, widespread issue that BMW knows about.
I agree with you about BMW Toronto - unfortunately they also own Parkview BMW and BMW Waterloo. I know they operate Parkview the same way because I used them for my former BMW and I can only imagine the operate Waterloo the same way.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #23
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Nice user name..

I agree on many levels...and you are right about having no issues but sometimes the steps you took are necessary. From all aspects everyone is right (except the starbucks thing, im not loaded but im not cheap and drink it every morning), on the tear down/payment aspect and also going to HO even the car having the issues.

However, any one who buys a NEW BMW especially a first time owner would expect a well built car...whether a 323i or a fully loaded alpina B7 but the reality is sometimes shit happens. The reply from the owner of the dealer was unprofessional and he should have tried to go higher for you even if everyone going for an oil change is driving a 50k car..its not the KIA dealer. The only ones hating here are the guys who always have the old cars (even though there is nothing wrong with that)..

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 09-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #24
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM3
the fact that you got sub-standard attitude from BMW Toronto doesn't surprise me. I stopped going there about 6-7 years ago.
I don't think BMW Toronto was open 7 years ago but time flies and maybe I've forgotten when they opened. And it was a corporate location till the Quinn Group bought it about 2 or 3 years ago, so it would have been different then. I've had fine service on the E90 328i, and so far I am satisfied with all our dealings there.

MarkD
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I don't think BMW Toronto was open 7 years ago but time flies and maybe I've forgotten when they opened. And it was a corporate location till the Quinn Group bought it about 2 or 3 years ago, so it would have been different then. I've had fine service on the E90 328i, and so far I am satisfied with all our dealings there.

MarkD
I can't rememeber either when they moved to their present location.
a few months after they did, i stopped going there due to sub-standard dealings with the so-called "service advisors".
mechanics were alright, except on one occasion (shit happenes, I guess); I just could deal with the advisors.

i bought my first bmw from them (or whatever they were called then - downtown bmw???) when they were on the other side of dvp. that was a long time ago.
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #26
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
I can't rememeber either when they moved to their present location.
a few months after they did, i stopped going there due to sub-standard dealings with the so-called "service advisors".
mechanics were alright, except on one occasion (shit happenes, I guess); I just could deal with the advisors.

i bought my first bmw from them (or whatever they were called then - downtown bmw???) when they were on the other side of dvp. that was a long time ago.
Downtown BMW was a franchise owned by the Hammers. BMW Toronto was a corporate store till sold to the Quinn Group. As far as I can tell, there is very little in common between the two places except for a few people who worked at both places. The management is completely different.

Last edited by MarkD; 09-02-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #27
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

MarkD...

speaking of dealers, Durham Bmw (in Ajax) just changed their name to Endras Bmw.
you know if it's new owners (who, in fact, are the owners?) or same owner who woke up one day and decided to change names?
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
MarkD...

speaking of dealers, Durham Bmw (in Ajax) just changed their name to Endras Bmw.
you know if it's new owners (who, in fact, are the owners?) or same owner who woke up one day and decided to change names?
I don't know anything about that dealer.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #29
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

I am not a mechanic for BMW or any other car maker. I'm just a regular car guy like everyone else here.

As for going back and asking them to have the felt extended...i didn't see that in first posting or I misread it.

As I said before kudos to you for going straight to the top.

I'm sure the dealer doesn't get reimbursed to trouble shoot the problem. Was the owner/manager of the dealer unprofessional - probably? Is it debatable? Perhaps. But for customer service it's how you perceived to be treated and that's all that matters.

Is this a serious safety issue or mechanical issue for the e90 that would cause the car not to function? no. so i can see the dealers stance as they are in a rock and a hard place. they can't spend the time trouble shooting all these niggly problems and not get paid.

i think it's a learned lesson for all us in terms of how dealers get paid and how to get around it. if BMW HQ wants to keep a customer happy they will fund the work. just need to push the 'right buttons'. does it suck that we as consumers need to do this? probably, but i'm sure all other car dealers /manufacturer relationships are no different. dealers don't have infinite funds. that nice dealer building does have to be paid for somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissedcustom View Post
ChrisTO - You must be a mechanic for BMW. I'm not sure I explained the situation very well. I took it in FOUR times to the dealer. The first time I drove with them and they heard the noise and where it was located. The took apart the back where the noise was coming from and if you look at the picture in the report (link is there for you to download) they covered up most of the plastic parts that were likely taking part in making the noise. But it is very obvious they didn't cover one of them that kept making the noise. The next THREE times I took it in I asked them to do the same thing and recover and extend the felt to as many contact points as possible. If they had actually taken it apart again they would have seen that one of the parts was not covered. They obviously did not want to take the time to do it so they didn't - they just made excuses. This issue could have been solved over a year ago if they had done what I asked them to do. They were apparently more concerned about non-warranty repairs.

Once i got the President's attention, his mechanic fixed the issue right away. It was not difficult at all. And it seems to be a widespread problem and an issue with the mold that is in all the 3-series sedans for the past few years. People probably just tune out the noise. Trust me, this is going to become a big issue when people understand that it is an issue with a lot of cars and the only reason BMW doesn't want it to get out is that it will cost them a lot of money to repair it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #30
rendered
6th Gear Member

When you said BMW Toronto. This doesn't surprise... Similar problem happened to me with one of my new bmw's 4 years ago... Except a differential noise.... took them 5 tries, and installation of 1 wrong part (wrong Diff) to get BMW Canada head office involved to meet me at BMW toronto to discuss their major screw ups and poor customer service... When it happened that the manager and Service advisor were both rude pricks, that pushed me over the edge and BMW head office got involved... A human being can only take so much crap/dissapointment/wasted time, after spending $70K on a new BMW.

I feel your pain.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
328, click, customer service, e90, noise in rear

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: