Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
noid
5th Gear Member

Tv repair around Burlington/toronto/hamilton

Looking for a good reputable place that can fix my 50" Philips plasma. Anyone have any recommendations?
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

what's wrong with it?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
cisco911
6th Gear Member

From my experience, depending on what is wrong with the set, it might be cheaper just to buy a new one. Sorry Dude. You can pick up a 50 plasma on clearance pretty cheap.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
noid
5th Gear Member

Last night i heard about 5 or 6 electrical popping sounds and then i smelled burning, now the screen ether shows black, and whats not black is just pixelation.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
cisco911
6th Gear Member

If it ends up being the screen itself, they will tell you to just buy a new TV cuz the new screen is more than the TV is worth. How old is the set? Model number?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
noid
5th Gear Member

it was $4000 back in 2006, i dont think its the screen, its probably a board inside.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Honestly, you can go out and buy a 50inch plasma, which is from 2008 or 2009 model for like 700 or 800 right now. Check this one out:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...af34f07b11en02

Depending on whats wrong with it, your probably going to spend anywhere from 200 to 500 to fix it for something simple. Might as well get a new set for 700 or 800 IMO. That way you have a new screen with 0 hours. Plasmas are limited life screens.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

That sucks. I vote for the replacement too. Better performance features and they don't cost much. Electronics these days just suck in general the pursuit of cheap manufacturing has Backfired.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
E36is
'OldSchool..'

google the problem. These lcd/plasma screens are notorious for popping capacitors which is onboard and can be DIY if you can solder. There is a few writeups (youtube) on how to replace them for $10 and get your tv operating again. what brand is it?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by careless7 View Post
That sucks. I vote for the replacement too. Better performance features and they don't cost much. Electronics these days just suck in general the pursuit of cheap manufacturing has Backfired.

I disagree. This is what many people think, unfortunately it is not true.

I will give you my story.... We bought a 40 inch Sony Bravia XBR many years ago. The total cost was about 4000$. The TV was sony's flagship model when it came out.

This year, we bought another flat screen, a Toshiba Regza, for 900$ after taxes. The new TV has a few extra featers, 120 hz, more hdmi ports, etc, etc.

Guess what, the Sony from 4+ years ago has better processing then the current TV and it shows on standard viewing. The image is always better then the Toshiba can display.

A 4000$ sony today, the flagship model, will definately be better then the 4000$ sony from the past. However, the flag ship model of the past, is still better then the shitty 800$ TVs of today.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36is View Post
google the problem. These lcd/plasma screens are notorious for popping capacitors which is onboard and can be DIY if you can solder. There is a few writeups (youtube) on how to replace them for $10 and get your tv operating again. what brand is it?

+1

Although my TV didn't pop the capacitors, my LCD monitor on my computer did. About 4 capacitors popped, resoldered it my self.

The capacitors are also big enough that its easy enough to handle, you dont need any microsoldering skills.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
noid
5th Gear Member

Its a Philips, my dad's hobby is ham radio so he does soldering all the time with a very steady hand, if its something like a capacitor then we could do it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: