Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Recognize this car?

Hoping someone could help save me a trip if they've seen it themselves or know of the car.

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_C...v=Ontario&r=40

Looking for a clean 540i or m5. If you've got a lead on one, I'm buyin.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
yuiou
Driver

haven't seen the car, but its been up for sale for a while now.
yuiou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

BMWM5LOVER, might know this car,

Parm
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
cornflakecwl
1st Gear Newbie

Yeah it's been up for a while, I was going to go look at it a few months back before I bought a new house. M5 dream is dead for a few more years! Seems like a clean car from what's there. Good luck to you!
cornflakecwl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
martinM5
3rd Gear Member

It caught my eye as well, seems clean, i just wonder why there are so little if ever 01+
M5s up for sale??? Facelift E39 FTW
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
gruppusol
2nd Gear Member

I've seen this car personally. I have also been 'watching' for it. This dealer has had it for at least a year and a half. He has put on new tires but as I can recall, the rears are the wrong size, 265/35/18... something like that. The front spoiler is cracked (not too noticeable). I think someone must have just f'd it up while parking the car. When I saw it, the car was in the showroom. With 104k, it is desireable. I can't recall whether or not the production date was pre or post 03/00. I know I would have looked for that. I am also certain that both of the vanos' are of the updated variety. I did not get a chance to drive it or listen to it while it was on unfortunately. I think the price is fairly reasonable considering its condition. Anyone wanting it might be able to negotiate a better price. V8's don't sell that easily these days!
gruppusol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
gruppusol
2nd Gear Member

I've just noticed that it has a production date of 01/00. This just means that it was manufactured before the piston rings were changed, that 10w60 is required and that it probably consumes more oil than you would like...
gruppusol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
24K seems expensive.
I've been following US pricing on the m5board and there this car wouldn't fetch more than 19K.
Are M5's worth that much more here in Canada ?
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Poorly repainted front end(the tape was still on the sprayer nozel and sales guy lied that it hadn't), junk front bumper, most likely needs front suspension overhaul (tires were shotttt AND REARS), Vanos Noise like i've never heard, shady, shady shady. Price is inline for the mileage, but not for the condition. The interior is immaculate though and comes with the brushed aluminum (hard to get).
I went ready to buy the car with a friend and we were sooo disappointed. That is why it hasn't sold.

As far as production date, don't worry too much about the (never confirmed) updated piston rings. The car *may* burn just as much oil (and in some cases more) with the updated rings. My car is a a 06/00, so the updated rings, but that was never a factor for me. You want proper history, not artificial "make me feel good" info. Also, ALL S62's require 10W60. To think otherwise is lying to yourself. The 5w30 is a marketing ploy to make the car seem "easier" to maintain then it is. (countless info on oil for the M5s)

Calegrant, if you are trully in the market for an e39, I would really advice you to spend every waking moment on m5board.com . You are gonna scare your self shitless and really understand and learn about these cars, something very important when buying one. If after it all, you still want one, then it is the right fit for you.

If you are interested, shoot me a PM and you can come out to one of the friday night meets and I will let you look at my car, listen to it, examine it, see what a proper/clean (can't say perfect as it is 10 years old) unmolested example is. I can give you a lot of tips and info that I've acquired through the years reading on M5board. I am no guru, but I have a vague idea of what these cars are about.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 08-21-2010 at 03:11 PM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN 3 View Post
24K seems expensive.
I've been following US pricing on the m5board and there this car wouldn't fetch more than 19K.
Are M5's worth that much more here in Canada ?
A Canadian car will always be worth more than a US car up here, no doubt. Keep in mind that by the time you get your 19K M5 (which u buy sight unseen) you are at least another 3-4K on top. I've imported 3 vehicles for myself, the hassle is only worth it for the selection. There simply is more of everything down there. Here we are trully limited.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: