Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
yyoon13
1st Gear Newbie

Your thoughts on replica rims

hey guys,

I recently purchased a set of 18" M3 Reps for my 06 323i but I'm not sure if I should put them on. A friend of mine has had some bad experience with replica rims in general (he drives doesnt drive a bmw but a mazda speed6) and is advising me to be careful. He's popped two sets of tires when he previously had replicas and tells me that my tires will start to have bumps and bubbling after a while since the quality of the rims aren't as good as OEMs. His tires eventually popped and he had quite a hassle to deal with. He also tells me that since bmws are such heavy cars, the replica rims have a greater chance of breaking or causing the tire to pop if I don't have good tires.

I was wondering what were some of your thoughts on replica rims and which tires would work well for me given that I drive mainly from point a to point b and handle my car carefully.

Thanks in advance
yyoon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Coupedup
Reverse Gear Member

Although the price is right chances are you will spend more money in the long run. A couple of good sized potholes will cause your "reps" to bend or crack due to inferior materials used to keep them at a low pricepoint....

My advice: keep your eye out and see if you can find OEM used in good shape for the same price......pay now or pay later!
Coupedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
grapebimmer
Keepin' it low key

Also, I believe the weight of the replicas might be an issue. :-/

2007 e90 328i Monaco Blue
aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Pro 5R CAI
RIP '84 e30 325e, '87 e30 325e, '96 e36 328i and 2000 e46 323i
grapebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
Visit Tire District and ask for our Euro Klasse Wheel line up.

Our "replicas" are actually made under german specification and certification (TUV). The factory in which it comes from deals with mainly european and german clients with the highest standards. The finish of the wheels are close to if not better than OEM quality.

- Chris
Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Cheap rims don't cause tires to bubble, cheap or improper load rating tires do. Also, your car weighs 300lbs less than his, so you may want to just stop listening to this guy in general.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

It all depends IMO. I have reps and ended up with a great company. I've hit some good sized potholes and drove on crappy roads and have had no problems (knock on wood).

Just remember, every rim can bend/crack. I've seen OEM rims bend. Don't get me wrong though, there's a lot of garbage out there and just be careful with what company you go with.

I've heard a lot of good things about rep companies like VMR and Miro.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Cheap rims don't cause tires to bubble, cheap or improper load rating tires do. Also, your car weighs 300lbs less than his, so you may want to just stop listening to this guy in general.
You tell em Jay!

From my personal experience, If you drive your car in the city, it's not worth paying 2-3 times more just for the real deal. You hit a pothole with a replica no big deal 200 bucks and you have yourself a new one, now hit a pothole with a real wheel and spend your night crying like an idiot!

As for tire bubbling thats just running shitty tires or hitting potholes. I had replica bbs lms with stetched tires and never had a tire bubble or pop on me.

Jay
Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Some reps may bed or crack more easily than others when you hit something. As stated before, just depends on the company. Be careful of which company you buy from.

Tires are key. As stated above somewhere, make sure you have tires that are properly rated for your cars weight. Also, don't cheap out and go with Motomaster tires.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
yyoon13
1st Gear Newbie

thx guys, really appreciate the advice. I'll hold off on putting on the replicas for now...
yyoon13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: