Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
LOL at some of these suggestions when the OP said they were trying to read more of the "Western Canon"...

I'm sure history will remember the current-events-profiteering Afghanistan book where one dude gets an axe in the head as one of the greats of Western literature.

If you are really trying to read some of the Western Canon I'm sure you will get a better reading list from English Lit 101 course pages or wikipedia or whatever.

As for less canonical stuff from the last 100 years or so... heh... I've been re-reading Heart of Darkness. Not really one of my personal favourites but it does stand the test of time and stay relevant... and has some great passages.

I love Don DeLillo... Not his recent work so much-- although perhaps in 10 years I will realize how prophetic it is-- but the 80s and 90s stuff is without peer. I recommend White Noise as a starting point and everybody who isn't scared off by 800+ page tomes should read Underworld. Beatiful, beautiful book.

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre is a really enjoyable read, and everybody loves laughing at school shootings, right?

I finally read Franzen's "The Corrections" and really enjoyed it too, for the most part. Really really touching at times, very funny at others.

read heart of darkness twice and seen apoc now.. good book and good movie.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

Not strictly Western Canon, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the following recently:
  • 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins
  • 'God is Not Great' - Christopher Hitchens
  • 'Einstein's Cosmos' - Michio Kaku
  • 'Long Way Round' - Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Boorman
  • God's Debris - Scott Adams

That last one is a free download, just search anywhere for the title.

kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamus View Post
Not strictly Western Canon, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the following recently:
  • 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins
  • 'God is Not Great' - Christopher Hitchens
  • 'Einstein's Cosmos' - Michio Kaku
  • God's Debris - Scott Adams

That last one is a free download, just search anywhere for the title.
Just blew away the last 2 hours of my afternoon reading God's Debris... good read. Thanks.
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

^^Glad you enjoyed it. It's a very quick read, and yet covers a huge number of topics. The author declares in the intro that some chapters are based on sound current science, whereas others are deliberately misleading - like the one on evolution and natural selection - and invites the reader to try spotting which is which. And the title turns out to be brilliant, once you get to the central idea of the book.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #20
sirex
King Sirex

I read Gods Debris after you brought it up in here. It was an okay free read.

Im kind of surprised that there are so few titles posted in here. I was expecting a hundred titles.

Last edited by sirex; 08-17-2010 at 07:21 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamus View Post
I'd definitely be interested to see what kind of crazy things that are documented in the book that they couldn't show on TV.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #22
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Im kind of surprised that there are so few titles posted in here. I was expecting a hundred titles.
I can always add more titles – but I think mine would go further off topic:
  • ‘The Chariot Makers’ – Steve Matchett. Ex-F1 mechanic discusses what it takes to design the ideal grand prix car – with lots of historical nuggets from his career with various teams and drivers.
  • ‘Infidel’ – Ayaan Hirsi Ali – what tribal Islamic oppression of women in Africa is really like – by someone who survived and had the guts to escape it.
  • ‘What’s good bad and downright awful in Canadian Investments Today’ – Rob Carrick. This book is dry, but accessible, and most importantly it’s making me money – so something must be right about it.
  • ‘Principles of Performance Driving’ – Jackie Stewart. I’m just getting started on this one. My instructor/mechanic insisted I read it before going to the track again
I have read quite a few by Richard Dawkins. He’s been publishing for many years, and it’s interesting to see how his clear explanatory style has remained consistent in all that time. He is a biologist, and I am not. So I am very impressed with how easily he can make me understand something as complex as evolution, genes, speciation and embryology.

Specific titles in this area would be:
  • The Blind Watchmaker
  • Climbing Mount Improbable
  • The Ancestor’s Tale
These are highly accessible to anyone that is interested in how we got here.
Also the already mentioned Selfish Gene. This is a much older book, and is substantially more technical – but I insist that it is still accessible, if you really want to understand how genes actually work.

Of course Dawkins is probably better known these days for God Delusion. Excellent book but it is obviously very different from his bio books mentioned above. Some don’t like the way he writes in God Delusion, because they feel he is venturing too far from his actual expertise. But that should not bias one against his other books above.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #23
kamus
Life begins at 4000rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I'd definitely be interested to see what kind of crazy things that are documented in the book that they couldn't show on TV.
With Long Way Round, I don't recall specific events in the book that were missing from the show - they kind of blend into the same thing in my head. The main difference is that with the book you really really feel like you're there because it's written diary style, with alternating entries from Charlie and Ewan. And the written word has a lot more detail than the show - you literally get to hear their thoughts on everything. Sometimes they write about the same events, and you get to see their differing perspectives - which is very interesting during the tense times.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #24
davericher20
black and blue

Leadership and self deception

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #25
e30blue
2nd Gear Member

Angels and Deamons & Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
- Very good read...both of them

Guardian of Lies - Steve Martini
- Interesting thriller...I liked it
e30blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
bunnykiller
2nd Gear Member