Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Michel
6th Gear Member

Has anyone rebuild shocks/struts through Bilstein?

I'm trying to contact someone there but no one EVER answers calls/e-mails. They're service seriously sucks so far.

Basically I want to get 1 strut resleeved/rebuilt and want some info about price. Their website shows $75 for a strut, but I want to make sure there's no extra costs that they'll find excuses to add on considering the poor service I've had so far.

Anyone ever rebuild shocks/struts with Bilstein? Any comments would be appreciated regarding this service.

p.s here's the link for service:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/services.php
Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
MarkD
Banned

That link explains the extra charges that you may have to pay, did you notice that?

NOTE: All revalved shocks and struts are dynamometer performance checked. Additional parts and services that are not included in the normal scope of revalving will incur an additional charge (examples include shock rods, tubes and/or end loops and machine work). Development fees apply if it is necessary to meet specific valving targets. Dyno sheets are available upon written request.

Replace piston rod (Appropriate rebuild fee from above must be added) Non-adjustable (Standard in stock rod) Add $10 each
Non-adjustable (Non-standard / Non-stocked rod) Add $10 ea. plus
$65.00 per hour machining fee
Adjustable (Standard in stock rods only) Add $45 each

Additional Services External snap ring grooves $10 each
Strut bearing replacement $100 each strut housing (subject to availability)
Tube replacement $30 per unit avg. plus rebuild fee
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
I'm trying to contact someone there but no one EVER answers calls/e-mails. They're service seriously sucks so far.

Basically I want to get 1 strut resleeved/rebuilt and want some info about price. Their website shows $75 for a strut, but I want to make sure there's no extra costs that they'll find excuses to add on considering the poor service I've had so far.

Anyone ever rebuild shocks/struts with Bilstein? Any comments would be appreciated regarding this service.

p.s here's the link for service:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/services.php
the last time I dealt with Bilstein was back in he late 90's. I had a GTI which had a set on. One front was pooched. I do recall speaking with someone and providing I had a receipt and service invoice showing the install I would get warranty exchange on it. Providing the faulty part was not caused by the technician installing it. Not only did they change 1 shock -which was only required but sent me a complete new set for my car. Took about 10 days and paid duty to ups around 100.00. I don't think they bother to rebuild them since it takes them so much time? I know you said the website says soo..But they make their money selling new parts. :-)

yeah, like Mark D wrote...I suspected some kind of intricate policy and extra fees for the work. I think they want to deter people from doing this.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!

Last edited by Ceeker; 08-05-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
MarkD
Banned

I had a 733i which I put a complete "Sport" spring and damper kit in 1989, and evey 2 or 3 years I had to have either front or rear shocks replaced. With all the fees and labour, I was not happy the 3rd time these needed replacement. By then, the Bilstein people asked the garage if it was actually the same car, and if I took it to the track. (I didn't, but it makes you wonder what they thought was normal wear). I wonder how many others have had similar bad exoeriences with those shocks on a bigger BMW.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: