Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Bullet Ride's turbo project

So I got this car last august it a semi complete state. The car was "driveable" but it had a number of things that still needed to be sorted out. Well, I got busy fixing up my other car and just never got around to this car. I'd like to start working on it now here and there when I have the time so that I can have it ready to go for the fall.

The kit was a budget build. It has an e-bay manifold and turbo (TO4E 50 trim .63 a/r), knock off type-rs BOV, and some turbo chip (for 8psi maybe? I need to open the dme and take a look at it)

Things I need to do:
- Redo the intercooler set-up so that I can actually put the headlights back into the car
- Wire in wideband O2
- Install an oil pressure and oil temp gauge
- Clean up the engine bay (routing wires, vacuum lines, and hoses)
- Redo the brakes because they are shot
- Install the lowering springs and shocks I pulled from my other car
- Start shaking the car down looking for bugs.

At some point I'd like to go to a stand alone engine management (most likely MS) but I need to save some money for my last year of school starting this fall. So I just want to get the car into a driveable state, then next year I'll convert it to stand alone, add on some arp head studs... and up the boost

I'll update this thread as I work on the car, here are some pics of the car pretty much how I got it last year

Old 06-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Looks like a decent base to work with but I think you'll get fed up with all that rrpfr business quickly and join the standalone darkside.

DO W0RK!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Denny
4th Gear Member

This should be a good build. Decent clean looking engine bay
2006 BMW 330i 6-speed black SOLD
2001 BMW X5 4.4 - Auto - black on black - SOLD
1989 BMW 535i - 5-speed - black -SOLD (kept M30B35/tranny for E30)

1985 BMW 325 E 5-speed (new project)
1987 BMW 325 5-speed - work in progress
http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/
Part 2 (Supercharger/turbo build)
http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com

Other interests:
http://www.xbox360.com
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dennymedeiros
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Looks like a decent base to work with but I think you'll get fed up with all that rrpfr business quickly and join the standalone darkside.

DO W0RK!
Yea I'm definitely keeping my eye out for someone parting out their kit in case I can pick up a PnP unit on the cheap
Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
JINT
5th Gear Member

doesn't look bad at all under the hood, quiet clean setup
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Well I know that I haven't updated this thread in over a month but I promise there will be some updates soon. I received my intercooler piping kit and hope to install that this weekend.

Also after doing a bunch of reading I figured that rather than spending money on a rrfpr or paying someone to tune my car for only one level of boost my best bet in terms of cost and flexability would be to go stand alone DIY style ...you were right Devon I got fed up before I even started lol
I didn't like the idea of hacking up a harness or gutting a DME so I managed to scrape together the money to buy one of these... http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...kit-p-385.html
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Well I know that I haven't updated this thread in over a month but I promise there will be some updates soon. I received my intercooler piping kit and hope to install that this weekend.

Also after doing a bunch of reading I figured that rather than spending money on a rrfpr or paying someone to tune my car for only one level of boost my best bet in terms of cost and flexability would be to go stand alone DIY style ...you were right Devon I got fed up before I even started lol
I didn't like the idea of hacking up a harness or gutting a DME so I managed to scrape together the money to buy one of these... http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...kit-p-385.html
Win. You saved yourself a lot of time getting the car running well vs playing with the FMU. I wish i picked up one of those but they werent around when I went MS Just take your time putting it together and you will be good to go, when it comes time to get it running let me know if you have any questions setting things up.

Just noticed in the pic as well you should re do those vaccum lines and make deadicated ones for the WG, MS and boost gauge if you have one, the BOV you can tee off the FPR line.

I also have some 36lb injectors fs sell it to ya cheap cause they needs rebuild lovin but I know thats no sweat for you..let me know!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Win. You saved yourself a lot of time getting the car running well vs playing with the FMU. I wish i picked up one of those but they werent around when I went MS Just take your time putting it together and you will be good to go, when it comes time to get it running let me know if you have any questions setting things up.

Just noticed in the pic as well you should re do those vaccum lines and make deadicated ones for the WG, MS and boost gauge if you have one, the BOV you can tee off the FPR line.

I also have some 36lb injectors fs sell it to ya cheap cause they needs rebuild lovin but I know thats no sweat for you..let me know!
Yeah vacuum lines are on my to do list. I will need injectors eventually because the 24lb injectors that are in the car will only be good for around 200-220hp.
Are you using Tunerstudio? I know Everlast is. That's what I'm planning on using.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Yeah vacuum lines are on my to do list. I will need injectors eventually because the 24lb injectors that are in the car will only be good for around 200-220hp.
Are you using Tunerstudio? I know Everlast is. That's what I'm planning on using.
Yes im using Tunerstudio...megatune is...bleh!

let me know if youd want teh injectors, hate to see parts sitting that be put to good use!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Just a quick update. Look what came in the mail this week...

I was hoping to build it this weekend but alas I'm tied up with some other things unfortunately.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
"k"car man
2nd Gear Member

That looks like my car Let me know on how she's doing, looks like she's in good hands.

Good Luck on the build, take me for a ride when your done.

Thanks Jeremie
"k"car man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Ok so I FINALLY got around to putting together the DIYPNP kit. Between last night and today I've assembled the kit 99%. There's just a couple more jumper wires that I need to research into before I hook them up.

Picsssss...

Just getting everything laid out

Starting to put in the resistors

All resistors in place...yeah, there's not very many...

Diodes, capacitors, transistors, and one chip soldered in...

Transistors soldered....

Serial ports, 12V power supply, and map sensor soldered

Microsquirt board installed

Test fit in case with Bosch 55 pin adapter board.

Jumpers pretty much done

This kit was pretty easy to put together. All the components are labelled and the general assembly guide is clear and easy to follow. The DIYPNP guys also have an install guide on their site specifically for a late model E30 325i that has a jumper table and some other important notes. They also include base maps for the car so you can start the car. If you wanted to you could build and install one of these units on a stock N/A car and roughly tune it in a single weekend which is amazing if you ask me.

There were also a few things that I emailed them to ask about because some of my jumpers are slightly different than the stock jumper configuration and they were very prompt to respond (I actually identified a small but important typo in their guide that they are going to fix)

Tomorrow I'll power up the unit to load the firmware and base maps. Hopefully all goes well.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Sick, good progress. I want to do this one day when I have time and a car I don't have to rely on for DD duties (preferably another E30 )

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #14
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Nice! Love that diyautotune took the time to make the PnP option..wish it was around when I was MS shopping. It looks a lot easier to install vs the standard v3.0 board which is good and has all the circuits you need already built in. Only thing is you're stuck with MS2 but thats not bad at all!

Hurry and get it in, tuned and boosted! You're one weekend away from having a tuned turbo car!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Sick, good progress. I want to do this one day when I have time and a car I don't have to rely on for DD duties (preferably another E30 )
It is nice to have a non DD project car so you don't always have to worry about "how do I get to work on Monday if things don't work out this weekend..." lol
But like I was saying, this kit is easy enough to build that you can build it and tune a car so that it's fairly drivable over a weekend, and since it's PNP you can always just swap the stock DME back in at any time and drive the car.

Quote:
Nice! Love that diyautotune took the time to make the PnP option..wish it was around when I was MS shopping. It looks a lot easier to install vs the standard v3.0 board which is good and has all the circuits you need already built in. Only thing is you're stuck with MS2 but thats not bad at all!

Hurry and get it in, tuned and boosted! You're one weekend away from having a tuned turbo car!
Yeah once I'm done the ECU I need to make a vacuum manifold, install E36 variable TPS, install IAT sensor, and redo the IC piping. Then I'll get the car started and blowing head gaskets... I mean start tuning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: