Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Canadian Tire Scraps Eco Fees

What a huge failure, proof of how poorly our government is run.

These Stewardship Ontario bureaucrats are probably padding their fat paychecks with all of the money.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...-eco-fees?bn=1
Quote:
Rob Ferguson
Queen’s Park Bureau
Canadian Tire is scrapping new eco fees that came into effect July 1 on thousands of potentially toxic household products, saying the recycling charge developed by Stewardship Ontario and the province is too confusing for customers.

The chain – one of Canada’s most prominent retailers -- is asking the beleaguered agency and Environment Minister John Gerretsen to take the controversial eco fee program back to the drawing board and come up with a replacement that makes more sense.

“Safely recycling toxic materials like rust remover or camping fuel is important so we don’t have toxic waste seeping into our landfills and environment,” Mike Arnett, president of Canadian Tire Retail said in a letter to customers Monday.

But the company “can no longer support passing along a recycling fee to customers that has inconsistencies between products and is difficult to explain.”

For example, different bottles of bleach can have different eco fees depending on their ingredients and Ph level.

“The fees don’t make sense,” Arnett adds in the letter.

“Because these eco fees are based on ‘materials’ instead of ‘products,’ it means that two similar brands of cleaning products could have two different eco fees depending on slight variations in their ingredients. That’s not intuitive to you – or us.”

Canadian Tire’s dramatic move ratchets up pressure over the program that has some retailers adding eco fees of up to $6.66 to the price of some products – such as hand sanitizers, fertilizer, bleach and fire extinguishers --to defray the costs of disposing them at the end of their life cycle.

The company, which last week apologized to customers for mistakenly charging higher than authorized eco fees because of difficulties translating the Stewardship Ontario regulations to actual products, will absorb the fees for now.

The move comes as the politics surrounding the fee scheme has reached a fever pitch, with Premier Dalton McGuinty’s government taking heat for the fees but blaming the independent Stewardship Ontario for making a mess of the implementation -- which took consumers by surprise.

Some retailers mistakenly overcharged shoppers on the fees because of confusion and complications in interpreting the lengthy Stewardship Ontario fee schedule for materials into charges on actual products on store shelves.

Stewardship Ontario apologized to consumers on Friday but shot back at Gerretsen for publicly “tarnishing” the agency with a letter demanding an audit and compliance program for retailers when that is beyond the agency’s scope.

Information technology staff at Canadian Tire were working overnight and into Tuesday to eliminate the fees from computer systems at the company’s stores across the province.

Star readers have also written about confusion with the new fees, such as C. Powell of West Hill, who pleaded in a letter to the editor on Saturday: “Mr. McGuinty, if as you say eco fees are to encourage recycling, please advise me how do I recycle fertilizer after spreading it on the lawn?”

Along with Home Depot, Canadian Tire has been one of few big retailers charging the fee, with others like Wal-Mart Canada Corp., Loblaw Cos. Ltd. and Shoppers Drug Mart absorbing it for now instead of passing the cost on to consumers.

For example, Shoppers has been assessing the fees while Loblaw stores were charging them only on compact fluorescent light bulbs and tubes.

Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak has called on the Liberals to scrap the fees and promised a Conservative government would.

He said the letter from Stewardship Ontario chief executive Gemma Zecchini to Gerretsen on Friday pointing out the independent industry body – which is regulated by the government – does not have the power to bring in the audit and compliance programs he demanded shows there is “chaos” in the minister’s office.

Gerretsen’s office did not return calls from the Star on Monday asking if Stewardship Ontario seeking comment on the letter.

Hudak said this is no time for Gerretsen to be on vacation.

“I know Minister Gerretsen works hard, he needs to take some personal time. But to go AWOL at a time of crisis shows an extraordinary lack of leadership, arrogance, or both.”
Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Go liberals!!!!!

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Go liberals!!!!!
Bro... I can still see Amy Ried's nip out the right side around the end of the 5th row of Zs
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
sirex
King Sirex

All of these eco fees a load of crap.If you throw it into the garbage can who sorts?

This so called recycling system is a crock of shit (for hazardous products).
Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
damameke
6th Gear Member

am I glad I returned the driveway sealer I bought this past weekend from CTC.... $4.03 for the eco fee...its a mess.... CTC did the right thing...and I hope the Stewardship Ontario is scrapped too...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

Send a message via MSN to ProStreetDriver
we have to pay per bag of garbage around here. and the funny thing is that the garbage man throws the garbage and recycling into the same bin on the truck.
ProStreetDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

LoL more news on this FAIL:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1645400/

Quote:
Karen Howlett
Toronto — From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published on Monday, Jul. 19, 2010 8:54PM EDT
Last updated on Tuesday, Jul. 20, 2010 3:22AM EDT
The Ontario government is pulling the plug on its controversial program that slaps eco fees on thousands of household products, after a growing backlash from retailers and consumer groups.

Environment Minister John Gerretsen will announce on Tuesday that the government plans to eliminate the new fees charged on aerosols, cleaning products and thousands of other potentially toxic items, according to government sources.

The cancellation comes less than three weeks after the fees were introduced, marking another hasty policy retreat for the McGuinty government. Premier Dalton McGuinty shelved a new sex-education curriculum last April amid complaints from parents and religious groups.

The eco-fees controversy erupted shortly after the program was launched July 1, with retailers and consumer groups complaining that the rollout was mired in confusion. The fees range from a penny for a 59-millilitre bottle of hand sanitizer to $6.66 for a fire extinguisher.

“The government will be looking at solutions to the concerns heard from Ontarians about the program,” a government source said Monday evening.

On the eve of Mr. Gerretsen’s news conference, a major retailer and the embattled agency responsible for managing the program each unveiled their own steps to mute criticism surrounding new fees introduced with little advance notice.

Canadian Tire Corp. announced on Monday that it will no longer charge customers the eco fees. Mike Arnett, president of Canadian Tire Retail, said the rollout of the program was poorly handled by everyone involved, including the government and retailers. The retail chain apologized last week for overcharging some of its customers.

“It’s confusing to our customers,” Mr. Arnett said in an interview. “They have questions we’re just not able to answer.”

Stewardship Ontario, the recycling agency in charge of the new eco fees, announced plans on Monday to increase the accuracy and transparency of the levy. Stewardship Ontario said it would require product manufacturers to provide eco fees information to the agency, and it would, in turn, make it available to consumers.

“We have heard from consumers loud and clear,” Gemma Zecchini, chief executive officer of Stewardship Ontario, said in a statement.

However, the government clearly believes the measures initiated by Stewardship Ontario would not go far enough to douse the controversy, one that had caught the attention of Ontario Ombudsman André Marin. His office said last week it was exploring whether to launch a full investigation into “eco fees.”

Canadian Tire was one of the first retail chains to charge customers the new fees. Many others, including Shoppers Drug Mart, had not yet implemented it because of all the problems.

The eco-fees program was also criticized by the Consumers Council of Canada, which said it lacked transparency and accountability, as well as opposition members at the provincial legislature.

“The eco-tax fees make no sense,” said Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak, who has been waging a campaign against it. “This is yet another Dalton McGuinty tax grab, and we would eliminate it in government.”
Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
aspen540
2nd Gear Member

what boggles my mind is how compost/organic fertilizer fell under these eco fees. this is biodegrable material that the earth has been recycling for billions of years.
aspen540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Wow they actually took it back, I'm impressed!

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1993 BMW 525i - daily
1994 BMW 325i - sold
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
aspen540
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
Wow they actually took it back, I'm impressed!
they toke it back for retooling, we are still footing the $5M bill for the 3 months it is inactive.
aspen540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
daytona
6th Gear Member

this government is a joke...they wasted tax payers money and now they are taxing everything in sight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: