Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
zerosignal
Got any change?

To powder coat or not to powder coat.....

I'm wanting to get my style 66 reps painted black. A nice glossy black. Ive heard horror stories about newly painted rims being aligned at the shop getting chipped... apparently the shop used a great machine with some kind of claw that grabs the wheels and accidentaly chinks the paint. So I can a nice durable powder coating.

How much should a decent powder coat job cost. I dont wanna get my pants pulled down over the price. Thanks
zerosignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
zerosignal
Got any change?

oh yeah, since I know nothing about powder coating.... is it possible for the powder coating man to do the rim all black with chrome around the rim??
Old 07-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
budget at least $150 per wheel for powder coating.

and chroming is a whole different process. i'm pretty sure they can polish it.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris de la Cruz View Post
budget at least $150 per wheel for powder coating.
That's insane! A buddy just got a whole set blasted/coated for $150. That was a group rate mind you, but you should be able to get all 4 done for ~$200 I would think.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
MPRESIV3
M Powered

When I use to own an Integra back in the day, I had my Konig Tantrums powder coated white. It cost me $200 in total for all 4 rims.

BUY MY WHEELS - 19" SSR GT3

MPRESIV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
zerosignal
Got any change?

200$ sweet deal. One place around here quoted me 150 per wheel... but that was with straightening and a bunch of other services. I'll go to a purley powder coating shop to get em blasted and coated..... will they need a clear coat after?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

It's not often you'll hear this, but luckily you have reps. Many OEM BMW wheels take a lot of labour to strip and prep properly for powder coating because of the finishing process they use. That's why places that are familiar with BMW rims will usually quote you around $100+ per rim.

But yeah, your average run of the mill rim will be about $50-$60 to strip and powdercoat

and for the record rims only get damaged when being mounted if the person doing the job is inexperienced. My buddy mounted the tires on my rims and didn't scratch them at all, and my rims sratch easily (cheap finish)

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 07-13-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
MPRESIV3
M Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosignal View Post
200$ sweet deal. One place around here quoted me 150 per wheel... but that was with straightening and a bunch of other services. I'll go to a purley powder coating shop to get em blasted and coated..... will they need a clear coat after?
Yes, get the clear coat, Since you're looking for a glossy black finish as mentioned in your original post. It will also give your rims a nice layer to protect it from the elements.

No clear coat = matte finish

BUY MY WHEELS - 19" SSR GT3

MPRESIV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
zerosignal
Got any change?

okay all valuable info. I'll take my rims to Frisbee tire to get them done. My last question is about the outer rim. I want it to have that chromed rim black spokes look. After I get them powdered and cleared, Can I tape them off, paint the lip chrome with some canadian tire can-o-chrome, and them spray more clear ontop to keep it nice looking? (I'd ask the powder coater what kind of clear he used and go get a spray can of it produced for me at the local industrial paint store.)
Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosignal View Post
okay all valuable info. I'll take my rims to Frisbee tire to get them done. My last question is about the outer rim. I want it to have that chromed rim black spokes look. After I get them powdered and cleared, Can I tape them off, paint the lip chrome with some canadian tire can-o-chrome, and them spray more clear ontop to keep it nice looking? (I'd ask the powder coater what kind of clear he used and go get a spray can of it produced for me at the local industrial paint store.)
If you polish the lips nicely after they strip the rims you should be able to ask them to powdercoat only the centre of the rim black. Also the clearcoat that they use is a powder clearcoat usually. So they can powder clear the whole rim for you.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
zerosignal
Got any change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
If you polish the lips nicely after they strip the rims you should be able to ask them to powdercoat only the centre of the rim black. Also the clearcoat that they use is a powder clearcoat usually. So they can powder clear the whole rim for you.
That idea is baller, prolly the best new i've heard so far. I'll def ask them about that.

I dont know how accuarate powder coating is? Would they be able to do a silver/chrome colour strip around the rim? or would that send the cost over the deep end?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Most powdercoat shops that specialize in automotive should be able to do stuff like this http://www.powdercoatingit.com/. It will drive cost up because there is more labour involved obviously. Best thing to do is ask the shops though.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
contact mike at Brightside coatings. quotes@brightsidecoatings.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: