Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #16
gnome
on the roam

Those A**holes came to my door and pretended they were with the gas company; I asked they if they represented the gas company and they said yes but the van they were driving said some other company other than Direct Energy Then they asked to see a copy of my gas bill then I knew something was up - they use the info on your gas bill to call in codes and account # to their head office to make the switchover legit.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
davericher20
black and blue

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/p...sion/main.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

that link is useful,that video taught me a lot, but I wouldnt be selling gas or electricity. Its a free upgrade for a new water tank, that is eco friendly, high efficient and brand new for no additional cost.... Customer gets new tank, no additional cost and goes green a bit more, I get 120 bucks per tank and the company I work for makes money thru the renting.... where is the scam?
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Not a scam - but I had these mofo's show up at my house - I wasn't giving that ass anything in writing. Be prepared to LEAVE INFO WITH PEOPLE - EVEN IF YOUR COMPANY TELLS YOU NOT TO! People will call you if they really want it - I don't sign ANYTHING at the door - many people are like that today and will not sign at the door - too many scams out there.

Yea you can make a lot - but for your sake and your future sake - go find a job in a field you want to be in later on.

It will help you more in the long run.
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

I have gone through a very similar situation that you. Fresh out of university I couldn't find a job and ended up giving a door to door thing a try. I was selling water filtration devices door to door in the middle of a recession. Worst job of my life. Door to door salesmen are hated whether it's a scam or not. You'll spend all day getting doors slammed in your face for what....maybe one tank a day? It may be good money minus the gas, wear and tear and countless hours you spend going all over town.
I quit that job after 1 day and the next week found an actual job in my field. I am now working for the engineering department of union gas and I couldn't be happier.
Dpn't give up searching for something that suits your qualifications it will be well worth it in the long run.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
I say take this job if you must, but in the end don't count on it. I've been in the same position too as many other early-20s guys. One day you will find a job that you will feel happy to going.

I come in to work 1 hour before and stay 30 min - 1 hr later and don't take a real lunch break. Granted I am blessed with a 15 minute commute but at the same time I love my job and my workplace so much I can't for the life of me think of anything else I'd rather do.

If you want to find a quick job that pays good - I worked at least 5 summers as a lawn care tech. You work outside, have a truck to yourself and get your routes done. You gotta work hard and management are assholes, but you can make 2-2.5k a month during the summer and sometimes into the fall...

I still remember the blisters and the sweat and how I was counting for the days to end. But think of it as a rite of passage, in the end this type of work makes you stronger. It gives you a much-needed adolescent reality check. And makes you less of a lazy cunt. lol.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 07-12-2010 at 01:41 PM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

I used to work for one of those companies for a few weeks, it's all BS. I took the job because I figured I have nothing to lose. They ask for your info to call in to make the switch to the different company, there's no other way to do it. How it works is the gas company can't legally rent out appliances due to a fairly recent law, so they contract that out to other companies. Enbridge uses direct energy for that, but there are tons of other companies authorized by Enbridge to rent the appliances out. On paper they are perfectly legit companies, in fact one person I went to actually called direct energy and they told her it's legit. All the problems you hear about come from people posing as enbridge employees because they never send people to houses without calling first.

But in reality these companies are pretty much a pyramid scheme, you get commission for every sale, and some extra for every sale made by people you hired. That's why they hire pretty much anybody, and training takes no more than 20 minutes because they pretty much just give you the basics and set you off to do whatever you want. If you don't sell anything then oh well, if you do then someone above you gets a cut. The company I worked for gave $70 per sale, while that seems good and easy it's really not worth it because you get paid after the installation happens, not after they sign the contract. The problem with that is people have a few days to read through everything and cancel if they don't like it, which happens very often. They can just google the company name and they'll find a ton of people complaining so they'll just cancel. In the beginning I could've easily imagined this making lots of money, but now the market is completely flooded with these door to door companies so it's hard to find a neighborhood that hasn't had someone walk through it already, and since these companies hire anybody the image of these companies gets ruined when some dumbass gets pushy and scares the whole neighborhood. I've heard stories from people saying these salesmen just barge into the house demanding to see their heater and bill.

Last edited by Mad Cow; 07-12-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
davericher20
black and blue

^^^just to correct you. They aren't pyramid schemes. Those are illegal.

It's multi-level marketing. Which is genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #24
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

^^^ - LOL - I wonder who works for an MLM...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #25
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

some how pyramid and MLM sound very similar
Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #26
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
that link is useful,that video taught me a lot, but I wouldnt be selling gas or electricity. Its a free upgrade for a new water tank, that is eco friendly, high efficient and brand new for no additional cost.... Customer gets new tank, no additional cost and goes green a bit more, I get 120 bucks per tank and the company I work for makes money thru the renting.... where is the scam?
The customer can get a high efficiency brand new water tank directly from their own company like Reliance without having to switch though.
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #27
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

Yea I DONT think Im gonna try it out. Just finding a job that pays decent is really becoming frustrating, I have applied EVERYWHERE. City of Toronto, Cintas, Embrdige, hospitals, City of mississauga, Rogers, Bell......

I hope my terrible luck changes sooooooooon!

Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #28
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I'm 22. Currently unemployed, which is alright I guess since I cashed in large about a year ago and still have some change. I went last year for the Primerica job where you get hired under someone and then you become your own boss and hire all your friends so they can do financial advise to others ect. Made some good money off a group of 10 people. This is where I was getting some money and it was kind of door to door. Worst thing was talking to people about debt and stuff and I was in the same vote about it being shady. Like how do I make money off other people that I brought into the business? Well I stopped it because the Government raped my income tax but I still made some decent coin. I suggest that you get in contact with whatever you plan on doing in life (I myself am about to start a framing and drywall apprenticeship with a union) and get that started. Find out what you need ect. and go from there. Have faith that someone will end up giving a chance. In all my interviews I've ever done, I've always asked for the chance to prove myself, and you usually get a chance at it. Unfortunately, most people are hurting for jobs since the economy went boom. So keep your head up, keep pestering people and sending out those resumes like they are going out of style. People tend to see you when you send 5 resumes when others send 1.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #29
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Wonder if that beats selling ginsu knives out of a hockey bag...

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #30
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller View Post
I hate those ****ing door to door ppl. Wtf do you need somone comming to ur door to sell u somthing? ****ing bullshit.
Ya I hate Jehovah's witnesses too .. I'm not buying there bullshit .. and do they really have to do it 8-9am every saturday .. ****

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: