Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Lightbulb Any Electronics designers want to assist in a VERY cool mod?

Some of you may have seen my previous posts in regards to retro fitting a DCT shifter from a 2010 650i to my Steptonic e46. With my black interior, and black CF trim, should look sweet! Not my car; someone that tried and almost got it there......

BMW's current lighting system on the e46 uses a common power, switched ground design. PRND LEDs are lit when the selector switch closes the circuit to ground.....

See schematic below.

The challenge is that the DCT shifter uses a common ground, switched power design to illiuminate PRND LEDs. I've traced and determined the pin connections for the DCT shifter and got ambient lighting on the shifter to operate through car dash lights. Got green LEDs to illuminate by applying Dimmer power directly to applicable pin and varying intensity (best appearnce @ around 6vdc; don't know spec of LED installed).

Where everybody previously had failed is getting it to operate in the car.

The circuit I have in mind would use the switched ground connections of the current design to trigger a micro relay or opto coupler which in turn would provide approx 6vdc to the LEDs (drop voltage across resistor). Replicate circuit 5 times PRND and M/S. Simple design and I am an electrical engineer by trade, but been out of industry for close to 20yrs and sorta behind on mre technology available to me. Spent evening browsing Electrosonic catalogue and think I've got the relay identified....

Just need some assistance in fine tuning and double checking to ensure the components selected are appropriate for application.

Just a little of your time to help make this work........ Any takers?
AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Last edited by nachos23; 06-19-2010 at 01:53 AM.
nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
MarkD
Banned

LED's work on a constant current and most will work well with 20 to 30 mA flowing through them. Use a milliamp meter to measure the current as you vary the voltage, and you will see that it will look pretty good when once you have 20mA flowing through it.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
nachos23
SweetXi

Thanks MarkD. My biggest concern is overall current usage when car is off and loading on the battery. I will use the mA meter to measure real voltages and currents to make sure I don't exceed the rated specs of the individual components. If I use micro relays, my concern is the coil must be energized to light the "P" LED. Not sure what would be considered high draw when car is off. Also going to integrate built in electronic shift lock (lose mechanical lock with new shifter). Going to pass the Electronic Shift lock through "P" switch on shifter so you have to have both the brake pedal depressed and "P" button pressed in order to shift gears. Safety concerns addressed.
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
MarkD
Banned

You can control the LED's with a small micro controller and have all the LED's plus the micro go to sleep 5 minutes after the car is parked, to save power.
Generally, it's best if you can keep current draw of any device you add to 10 mA or less. (when engine off and car is parked)

I can't even see where the LED's are in the schematic you posted.

You can buy a small evaluation kit for various micros and develop the project on that. (under $100) You would have to write the code in C, but you would probably have some fun doing it if you are rusty at it now.

This demo board will probably be exactly what you need if you have around 5 LED's to control:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/p...rontpanel.aspx

If you are wondering how that board will help you, what I suggest you do with it is use the touch sensor inputs and the IR inputs as inputs from the shifter, and use the LED outputs to control your LEDs. You have to re-write the supplied code to not work as touch inputs, but regular inputs. It would be very easy with that demo board.

Last edited by MarkD; 06-19-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
You can control the LED's with a small micro controller and have all the LED's plus the micro go to sleep 5 minutes after the car is parked, to save power.
Generally, it's best if you can keep current draw of any device you add to 10 mA or less. (when engine off and car is parked)

I can't even see where the LED's are in the schematic you posted.

You can buy a small evaluation kit for various micros and develop the project on that. (under $100) You would have to write the code in C, but you would probably have some fun doing it if you are rusty at it now.

This demo board will probably be exactly what you need if you have around 5 LED's to control:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/p...rontpanel.aspx

If you are wondering how that board will help you, what I suggest you do with it is use the touch sensor inputs and the IR inputs as inputs from the shifter, and use the LED outputs to control your LEDs. You have to re-write the supplied code to not work as touch inputs, but regular inputs. It would be very easy with that demo board.
Interestingly enough, BMW does not show the actual LEDs on ANY schematic I can find. I suspect they are triggered by the line shown immendiately above the transistors. Transistor is forward biased, pulls the signal line above it to ground engergizing the LEDs.

Checked the above link.... VERY cool. Will be doing some reading tonight!! LOL.. A simple PLC (effectively what they have here) would do the trick, but I no longer have the compilers; nor am I current on the PLCs available today. This looks like an excellent solution. Even the best micro relays seem to be comsuming 180 - 200mW.

THANKS!
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
MarkD
Banned

Your welcome. The complete IDE (integrated development environment) and compiler that will compile and link small projects is usually free and I am sure you get all that included in this kit, which cost around $40.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
nachos23
SweetXi

I posted a similar thread on e46Fanatics site and a member from the UK came up with this design; simple PNP transistor is drive the LEDs. Think this might be the answer. Should be able to source 20-30mA current through the transistor. Although he connected to wrong pins (didn't realize I was retro fitting to e46), the circuit should work prefectly!! Going to test bed it over next couple of days and see how she works.

H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
nachos23
SweetXi

It's WORKING AND INSTALLED!!! :woot:

Quick cell pics for now, but it's installed and operational.....

Have to find someone to sew the leather and make it look factory......but it runnning....

required isolating selector switch and using relay on M/S signal...... pulled pieces from original board (extra I bought for this purpose)..... but other than finishing (enabling P shiftlock, covering old PRND indicators and leather)..... it's DONE

DIY to follow....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCT Shifter fitting 1.jpg (395.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DCT Shifter fitting 3.jpg (370.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Test Bench Lighting.jpg (318.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Park.jpg (193.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Manual Mode.jpg (256.1 KB, 66 views)
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
nachos23
SweetXi

bump
H&R Coilovers