Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Sightings
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
simplycars
6th Gear Member

540 - large heavy sedan
Civic - small light sedan/coupe

power weight ratio is in favour of the Civic.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #32
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
A stock current gen Civic Si will easily keep up with a 540i actually. It won't pass it, but it'd be a draw. Throw an intake/ECU on the Si and it'd leave the 540.

Kev never said stock though.
Maybe from 0-100 because the civic is lighter. but after that...where real v8s play no chance. i know the m62tub engine quite well. 100plus its a torque monster and thts what counts at those speeds. Kev was vague he just mentions civic. and IMO a civic is created for the sole purpose of taking its passenger from point a to point b efficiently and in a reliable way. Thats it. Real joy of driving no thanks not for me atleast.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-s...fications.aspx

I just saw its stats. 197 horses at redline and 139 torque. LOL cmon that thing will die against a 540.

kant believe i have to defend a "BMW 540" against a civic se or wutever for comparison lol. i propose a new name maxcivic.com

Die Dämmerung..............when dusk began to fall, when dawn begins to break

Last edited by Dammerung; 06-12-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #33
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplycars View Post
540 - large heavy sedan
Civic - small light sedan/coupe

power weight ratio is in favour of the Civic.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540specifications.htm
Civic 2895 lbs 197 horses
540 3802 lbs 282 horses

Power to weight: Civic = 0.068 hp/lbs
540 = 0.073 hp/lbs

I dont even need to mention torque here.

Simplycars Do the math yourself before you make assumptions which hold no base to them. Small, large Therefore......lol r u serious ???

Last edited by Dammerung; 06-12-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #34
simplycars
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540specifications.htm
Civic 2895 lbs 197 horses
540 3802 lbs 282 horses

540 = 0.073 hp/lbs

I dont even need to mention torque here.

All, I can say is that I owned 540i and drove enough Civics in my life.
Let's be honest here BMW 8 cylinder engine is not their best achievement.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #35
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
All, I can say is that I owned 540i and drove enough Civics in my life.
Let's be honest here BMW 8 cylinder engine is not their best achievement.
LOL Ive done exactly the same as u...drove 540...740 and civics....its not their best achievement but it bloody well is a better engine than a honda civics in certain aspects/// for me joy of driving lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll bmw 540 over a honda civic even with my eyes closed

Please base your assumptions on some facts...not large...small....heavy...light....and then concluding therefore lolllll

Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #36
simplycars
6th Gear Member

Quote:
LOL Ive done exactly the same as u...drove 540...740 and civics....its not their best achievement but it bloody well is a better engine than a honda civics in certain aspects/// for me joy of driving lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll bmw 540 over a honda civic even with my eyes closed

Please base your assumptions on some facts...not large...small....heavy...light....and then concluding therefore lolllll
To begin with comparing both is not really realistic.
Both cars were designed with different roles and different market and both can outperform each other in certain fields.
In reality, Honda is a better engineered car with low cost maintenance, while BMW is a high end car that requires costly maintenance. Another fact is that Civic holds its value better than 540 or even 740.
We can go on and on, but working on both cars, it is more fun to work on a BMW :-)
Old 06-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #37
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
540 = 0.073 hp/lbs
Exactly. Couple that with the much shorter gearing on the Civic and you see why they are close.

You can defend and go on tangents all you want, but the fact is that automotive enthusiasts who appreciate something other than a 2-ton plus luxury sedan know that a K20 Civic is pretty quick, and understand that it would be ignorant to believe otherwise.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Exactly. Couple that with the much shorter gearing on the Civic and you see why they are close.

You can defend and go on tangents all you want, but the fact is that automotive enthusiasts who appreciate something other than a 2-ton plus luxury sedan know that a K20 Civic is pretty quick, and understand that it would be ignorant to believe otherwise.
To each his own...it would be more ignorant to forget professional engineering designed for enthusiasts that prefer lighter weight cars such as S2000, 350Z, a bunch from Lotus. Civic is not designed for automotive enthusiasts...more for the daily drivers. If that were the case y doesnt Honda themselves modify the car for performance right from the production line.

Automotive Enthusiasts' again a variable factor. If you refer to the mass with modified civics, that is atleast for me not an example of an automotive enthusiast.

Again I press on a difference between 0-100 and then onwards. I agreed with you earlier that yes a civic may keep up till 100. After that no way!

the 540 is not a 2 ton plus car. And Automotive enthusiasts im sure agree that the M5 E39 is a REAL sedan designed for sports and luxury.

I have no need to defend a 540 against a civic. IMO its a shame lol.
We were talking about originally quoted by Kev..civic blowing past a 540........thts ignorant. Not talking about any other tangents

Old 06-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #39
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
To begin with comparing both is not really realistic.
Both cars were designed with different roles and different market and both can outperform each other in certain fields.
In reality, Honda is a better engineered car with low cost maintenance, while BMW is a high end car that requires costly maintenance. Another fact is that Civic holds its value better than 540 or even 740.
We can go on and on, but working on both cars, it is more fun to work on a BMW :-)
I agree with you. Do realise the argument wasnt about comparing these 2 cars. It was a comparison of a very specific tangent. If you know about cars which im sure you do. Coming back to the subject in hand... a civic will keep up to a 540 maybe...till the 1st 100kmh after that.............cmon lol

Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #40
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:

They're not close. A stock Civic Si is close with an E46 330i maybe. That Civic runs 15.1 in the 1/4 at 95 MPH. That's from C&D. Even if you assume a tenth or two in either direction variance, it's nowhere close to a 540i that can run 14.0 as a stick or 14.3ish with a slushbox. In the late 90s I used to borrow my dad's 540i-6 and run with (stock) LT1 Camaros.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #41
Mystikal

Quote:
To each his own...it would be more ignorant to forget professional engineering designed for enthusiasts that prefer lighter weight cars such as S2000, 350Z, a bunch from Lotus. Civic is not designed for automotive enthusiasts...more for the daily drivers. If that were the case y doesnt Honda themselves modify the car for performance right from the production line.
Civic Si. SiR. Type-R. Mugen specials. Factory standard equipment LSDs in 4-door "non-performance" sedans (Civic Si) when BMW won't offer them in "performance package" 335s. Honda has made far more hardcore performance cars than BMW, no question about it. Arguably BMW has never truly aimed for racetrack performance the way Honda has; even the Evo, CSL, and LTW models are tame compared to the CR and Type-R packages that Honda has been selling for years.

Quote:
Again I press on a difference between 0-100 and then onwards. I agreed with you earlier that yes a civic may keep up till 100. After that no way!
I still don't agree, but I'm not the one changing the original question here. You simply said that a Civic would not pass a 540, to which we all know you were wrong.

Quote:
the 540 is not a 2 ton plus car.
Okay...using your data it's 1.902 tons. I'm sorry for lumping it into such a far fetched weight category.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #42
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstearnsy View Post
They're not close. A stock Civic Si is close with an E46 330i maybe. That Civic runs 15.1 in the 1/4 at 95 MPH. That's from C&D. Even if you assume a tenth or two in either direction variance, it's nowhere close to a 540i that can run 14.0 as a stick or 14.3ish with a slushbox. In the late 90s I used to borrow my dad's 540i-6 and run with (stock) LT1 Camaros.
Poor launch, check out the MPH. It's not hard to find quoted times for a stock Si in the mid-14s, I've seen one do just that at TMP (14.4xx @ 95).
Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #43
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Civic Si. SiR. Type-R. Mugen specials. Factory standard equipment LSDs in 4-door "non-performance" sedans (Civic Si) when BMW won't offer them in "performance package" 335s. Honda has made far more hardcore performance cars than BMW, no question about it. Arguably BMW has never truly aimed for racetrack performance the way Honda has; even the Evo, CSL, and LTW models are tame compared to the CR and Type-R packages that Honda has been selling for years.

I still don't agree, but I'm not the one changing the original question here. You simply said that a Civic would not pass a 540, to which we all know you were wrong.

Okay...using your data it's 1.902 tons. I'm sorry for lumping it into such a far fetched weight category.

I dont know about the LSDs but yes again BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

"which we all know you were wrong" Excuse me but who are you referring to? Yourself LOL!!! The only other guy who posted here said that theres no way a civic will blow past a 540. At 100 plus it doesnt matter if the civic has an LSD. You think a 2 ltr 4 cyl will generate more torque which is key at higher speeds to beat a 4.4 v8 that develops double torque compared to a civic.

and bud math lessons in requirement MY INFO--- 540 3802 lbs= 1.72 tons.

Mugen specials well bmw has that too its called BMW M Division! An Evo is tame compared to a civic. Ever heard of RalliArt or TRD That changes the whole picture. As you said u didnt change the original question lmao... then we are talking about stock...not MUGEN...Ralliart...TRD or M

Isnt a civic FWD? then what the hell does it need a LSD for LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited by Dammerung; 06-12-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #44
Mystikal

Quote:
I dont know about the LSDs but yes again BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

"which we all know you were wrong" Excuse me but who are you referring to? Yourself LOL!!! The only other guy who posted here said that theres no way a civic will blow past a 540. At 100 plus it doesnt matter if the civic has an LSD. You think a 2 ltr 4 cyl will generate more torque which is key at higher speeds to beat a 4.4 v8 that develops double torque compared to a civic.

and bud math lessons in requirement MY INFO--- 540 3802 lbs= 1.72 tons.

Mugen specials well bmw has that too its called BMW M Division! An Evo is tame compared to a civic. Ever heard of RalliArt or TRD That changes the whole picture. As you said u didnt change the original question lmao... then we are talking about stock...not MUGEN...Ralliart...TRD or M

Isnt a civic FWD? then what the hell does it need a LSD for LMAOOOOOOOOOOO
Yeah, I'm pretty much done here. You obviously know a lot less about cars than you think.

o Setting parameters like "the 540 will win above 100!" is ridiculous, as that was not the original question.
o We live in Canada and not the UK, a ton is 2000lbs.
o Honda sold the Mugen Civic through its dealers up until very recently.
o Mugen is the smallest footnote of what I mentioned. The Si/SiR/Type-R history is far more important.
o If you don't understand the physics behind how an LSD is necessary on a FWD car you can't call yourself an automotive enthusiast.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #45
Fel
Not Banned

Is this thread for real? What just happened in here, and what is this guy so bent out of shape about?

Did a Civic piss you off or something? You also write like a bit of a child. How old are you exactly?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: