Originally Posted by Another BM
1. call CAA and have the car towed out.
2. shop can't hold car against owners will
3. cost the shop time and money
4. cost the shop time and money.
I'm not telling the guy not to pay, just give him a hard time about getting the money like he did about getting his car back.
1. will not happen if storage fees are not paid - even insurance runs into trouble with that one
2. you need to pay for the service provided before taking the car back - same rule is used by large dealerships. partial payment needs to be pre-arranged and can be a subject to extra charges
3. very easy to do - more trouble for the owner if shop never releases the lien - hard to sell the car
4. some collection agencies work on a commission fee and will get it done fast - more trouble for the owner - e.g. phonecalls at the workplace etc
it makes more sense to come to some sort of an agreement and pay let's say 75% rather than start fighting losing wars.