Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
trev0006
Banned

Text Messaging Car Accident

Public service massage is way to graphic.

Video - Text Messaging Car Accident

here are the facts.

Teen Driver Cell Phone and Texting Statistics

•Despite the risks, the majority of teen drivers ignore cell phone driving restrictions.
•Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver's reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
•56% of teenagers admit to talking on their cell phones behind the wheel, while 13% admit to texting while driving. (Note: Because this information was given voluntarily by teens, actual cell phone use numbers may be much higher.)
•48% of young Americans from 12-17 say they've been in a car while the driver was texting.
•52% of 16- and 17-year-old teen drivers confess to making and answering cell phone calls on the road. 34% admit to text messaging while driving.
•In 2007, driver distractions, such as using a cell phone or text messaging, contributed to nearly 1,000 crashes involving 16- and 17-year-old drivers.
•Over 60% of American teens admit to risky driving, and nearly half of those that admit to risky driving also admit to text messaging behind the wheel.
•Each year, 21% of fatal car crashes involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of cell phone usage. This result has been expected to grow as much as 4% every year.
•Almost 50% of all drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 are texting while driving.
•Over one-third of all young drivers, ages 24 and under, are texting on the road.
•Teens say that texting is their number one driver distraction.

Cell Phones, Text Messaging, and Car Accident Information for All Drivers

•Talking on a cell phone causes nearly 25% of car accidents.
•One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
•In 2008 almost 6,000 people were killed and a half-million were injured in crashes related to driver distraction.
•At any given time during daylight hours in 2008, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone.
•4 out of every 5 accidents (80%) are attributed to distracted drivers. In contrast, drunk drivers account for roughly 1 out of 3 (33%) of all accidents nationally.
•Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated.
•People who text while driving are 23% more likely to be in a car accident.
•A study of dangerous driver behavior released in January 2007 by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. found that of 1,200 surveyed drivers, 73% talk on cell phones while driving. The same 2007 survey found that 19% of motorists say they text message while driving.
•In 2005, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 10% of drivers are on handheld or hands free cell phones at any given hour of the day.
•A study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Motorists found that motorists who use cell phones while driving are four times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
•In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.
•According to the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, drivers talking on cell phones are 18% slower to react to brake lights. They also take 17% longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked
•Of cell phone users that were surveyed, 85% said they use their phones occasionally when driving, 30% use their phones while driving on the highway, and 27% use them during half or more of the trips they take.
•84% of cell phone users stated that they believe using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of being in an accident.
•The majority of Americans believe that talking on the phone and texting are two of the most dangerous behaviors that occur behind the wheel. Still, as many as 81% of drivers admit to making phone calls while driving.
•The number of crashes and near-crashes linked to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
•Studies have found that texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

Study Reveals the Dangers of Texting While Driving
The following statistics come from a study conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI):

•Of all cell phone related tasks - including talking, dialing, or reaching for the phone - texting while driving is the most dangerous.
•Teen drivers are four times more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near crash events directly related to talking on a cell phone or texting.
•A car driver dialing a cell phone is 2.8 times more likely to get into a crash than a non-distracted driver.
•A driver reaching for a cell phone or any other electronic device is 1.4 times more likely to experience a car crash.
•A car driver talking on their phone is 1.3 times more likely to get into an accident.
•A truck driver texting while driving is 23.2 times more likely to get into an accident than a trucker paying full attention to the road.
•A truck driver dialing a cell is 5.9 times more likely to crash.
•A trucker reaching for a phone or other device is 6.7 times more likely to experience a truck accident.
•For every 6 seconds of drive time, a driver sending or receiving a text message spends 4.6 of those seconds with their eyes off the road. This makes texting the most distracting of all cell phone related tasks.
trev0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
slimjim
Almost Sideways

y u trying to bash young drivers? wtf are u on the donvalley/403 every morning? i do not see one young driver on their phone. i see all the white collared ****s in the g35's and benzes on their phones and texting, and dont even look at my truck as slowly signal into them just to see if they are even looking. and guess what? still on the phone,, doesnt even notice some huge truck signaling into them.

do u know how much i pay for ****ing insurance with no accidents and one 15 over ticket? 400$ a ****ing month. Do you know how much my bmw was? 400$ + 50$ towing. Ive been on the road for 3 years and can safetly say i can predict ppls movment/reaction fairly well. im on the road ATLEAST 3-4 hours a day., and its ppl like you who promote the idea that young drivers are atom bombs ready to blow. stop being so god dam ignorant. So what are you trying to do? let ppl know that we are dangerous, as if thats not already clear since my insurance costs more than a ****ing morgage?

Last edited by slimjim; 05-24-2010 at 02:42 PM.
slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Eurotakeover
BMW Obsessed

+1 ive seen more older people on phones then younger people
Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
I see more older people TALKING on the phone. But it's always young people txting, staring at the phone which I think is much worse.

I was rear ended by a teenage girl because of this.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

I think old people cause more accidents. Only for the simple fact that they react slower to most things. Wise is one thing but being able to react properly is another. I think teens end up in accidents because others cause it to be so, like someone merging into traffic and not paying attention and a young driver has to swerve just to miss the merging car but ends up hitting another that is beside them. (Its natural to react that way). Texting I don't agree with, not to mention I don't own a cell phone anyways.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
911LOL
Banned

we all text. And we're all guilty of it. And it should be banned, because it is unsafe. I hate to say it, but it's true, it's dangerous.
911LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
davericher20
black and blue

guilty as charged, and so is everyone else. NOt just young drivers.

I'm sure plenty have been rear ended by middle-aged people while they were texting but don't make an article about it cause it doesn't get attention.

Ya **** that, it's EVERYONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
fitter527
hates chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
I see more older people TALKING on the phone. But it's always young people txting, staring at the phone which I think is much worse.

I was rear ended by a teenage girl because of this.
+1^.
my 15 year old daughter will be getting her licence next year.i'm scared to death,because in the last year she has worn out 2 cell phones from texting.
she told me she averages about 300 texts a day.wtf.what is she going to do if she is driving in the car for a 1/2 hour trip lets say.her phone rings and vibrates every 10 seconds(i'm not exagerating).that's about 180 txt msgs.
it will drive her absolutly bonkers if she can't respond to her friends messages about some punk-ass greasy teenage boy that has a crush on her.
i'd like to tell her that in order to get her licence,i'm going to have to lop off her opposable(lightening bolt)thumbs.
what's worse is that she wants a standard.have you ever tried to text and change gears at the same time.
i'm not singling out young people but like doogee said the suits talking on their cells and trying to conquer the world are just as bad.
i don't mean to get off topic but,a couple of months ago i was in the middle lane on the 401.i'm approaching a car ahead of me that is swerving between all three lanes.i didn't know if it was a drunk driver or a guy gettin a hummer.
so i pull out to pass him,and as i pass him,he's not drunk.he has a novel splayed across the steering wheel.
thanx for lettin me vent.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter527 View Post
what's worse is that she wants a standard.have you ever tried to text and change gears at the same time.
That's the exact reason why a manual transmission prevents texting while driving. When I drove an automatic I texted all the time, now that I have a manual I realized it's just not worth the effort.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
911LOL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
That's the exact reason why a manual transmission prevents texting while driving. When I drove an automatic I texted all the time, now that I have a manual I realized it's just not worth the effort.
I was just going to say, a manual would be better than an auto, especially for texting!
911LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #11
rendered
6th Gear Member

^ omg, Tyler aka TNation back from the dead and banned? Could it be?

I could be wrong, but something about your posts are reminiscent of that banned clown.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
Furious
BMW again.

sorry guys, i see more of the younger generation texting while driving than older. i see more older people actually on the phone than young however.. i drive the city every day for a living, i honk at every moron whos texting, at least wait for a light.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
IMHO, it looks very stupid and primitive while texing and driving. Like out of 10 cars you see, there is like three people with their heads down. Once you come near to take a better look, you see they got a phone on their lap. hehehehe

It was better when this cellphone ban was not in force. At least they kept their eyes on the road.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
I agree with dogee and fitter.

While I see more older white collared jerks talking while driving, I see more younger people texting while driving. IMO, texting while driving is more dangerous than talking on the phone. When you text, you look down, concentrate on what your texting, concentrate on what your reading, and think of what your going to say. I admit I use to do both, and sometimes I still talk on my phone, and I think texting is the worse of the two.

I used to think the hands free law was stupid. Then I saw stats somewhere, that were similar to those posted here, and it made me think that perhaps using a phone in anyway while driving is not so safe. Most likely whatever your talking about, or texting about, is not important enough to be risking other peoples lives.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: